Gransnet forums

Chat

Who hasn’t had Covid?

(252 Posts)
Katek Wed 17-Aug-22 09:44:37

A group of people is emerging who seem to be immune to the virus. Neither myself nor Dh have had it - I was on the shielded (hate that word) list but took advantage of all that I could do when restrictions were eased a little. I met people, had meals out, stayed in holiday cottage, went to theatre with Dgc etc. Of course I observed all the distancing/mask wearing/sanitising guidelines - many others have also done this and still caught the bug but Dh and I haven’t. My elder daughter is department head in a local academy and she has never had the virus either. She’s in daily contact with 50 department staff plus 100s of pupils and has avoided it. Dgd has had it, but her mother still hasn’t even with it in her own home.

I was just curious to see how many Gnetters have avoided it.

Aveline Wed 17-Aug-22 10:50:00

DD has had it twice but only discovered it when testing as required by children's school. She's concluded -no test, no Covid!

Lexisgranny Wed 17-Aug-22 10:52:24

I haven’t had it, neither has my DH, but I was “sheltered” and have had 5 covid jabs. We took precautions very seriously and have only just stopped wearing masks (except in Hospitals etc where they are still required). We have not had colds or flu either, but I suppose that was a result of taking all the precautions. We shall see what winter brings.

Blossoming Wed 17-Aug-22 10:53:15

I haven’t had it and nor has Mr. B.

JenniferEccles Wed 17-Aug-22 10:54:27

As far as I know neither I nor my husband have had it, but I I can only say as far as I know as I have never been constantly testing myself.
A few family members have had it but I would say the majority of us haven’t.

It does surprise me about me actually as I have always continued with my weekly supermarket shop even during the lockdowns.
As a family we took advantage of the ‘eat out to help out’ scheme

Norah Wed 17-Aug-22 11:03:46

Believe none of us have had covid. We've been very careful, haven't been out much, have taken deliveries as possible, only go between ourselves - least possible contact with others.

AGAA4 Wed 17-Aug-22 11:08:30

Some people are asymptomatic. My Sil tested positive but had no symptoms at all. He only tested because he had spent time with a friend who became ill.
I have never tested positive.

rosie1959 Wed 17-Aug-22 11:12:34

Aveline

I tested positive on holiday but only because testing was compulsory for everyone on board the river cruise. I didnt have symptoms so would never have known I had it. Maybe others were the same?

I had it with no symptoms too Aveline only picked up as I was testing because other family members were positive. Also the other family members had mild cold symptoms that they would have took little notice of if it wasn’t for Covid

CassieJ Wed 17-Aug-22 11:14:59

I haven't had it, though my son has had it twice this year. We live together in a very small house so no idea how I haven't had it.
I also work on a ward where we have covid patients. I am starting to think I am immune.

FlexibleFriend Wed 17-Aug-22 11:24:24

I can be sure I've never had it as I've been part of the ONS trial that tests us monthly right from the start and still ongoing.

Katek Wed 17-Aug-22 11:25:28

We test at least once per week and before/ after meeting people. add has to test twice per week for school. None of us has ever shown a positive result. We don’t tend to get colds either, can’t remember last cold I had, but I wouldn’t say my immune system was robust. All v weird.

Deedaa Wed 17-Aug-22 11:38:51

My son and his ex and his son are all living with me and they all caught Covid just before half term. It's impossible to avoid each other in my house but I had no symptoms and tested negative all the way through. I had been triple vaccinated and my son and his ex were double vaccinated.

yogitree Wed 17-Aug-22 11:45:16

I've not had it, nor my husband. We've both had 2 jabs and 2 boosters, the last one in April. We've met family and friends since allowed, eaten out etc., and I have attended yoga twice weekly throughout. I do, however, have a lung infection right now which is really nasty!

Visgir1 Wed 17-Aug-22 12:01:59

Me too.. And DH as well. Ready surprised. I have a friend who has had it x3.
I worked through the hight of it it, in the Hospital I work at patient facing . Majority of my co works all succumbed not all.

I have not been that careful vs lots of others out and about, obviously in work I have to stick to the rules.

My DS wife recently got it, he and his little girls all fine.
My DD had it about 2 weeks ago plus her DH and little son.

I was told recently 30 % seem to be immune, not sure how true this is?

I have had everything going so I can continue to work. Sure in my case this is spot on.

You know these are famous last words!

MrsKen33 Wed 17-Aug-22 12:12:53

DH and I haven’t. My son and his family who live in London have had it twice.

Dinahmo Wed 17-Aug-22 12:19:09

We haven't had covid but we have had the flu jab for many years. We have had 4 jabs.

Since the end of lockdown and mask wearing I know at least 12 people who have had covid, some badly and for others it was just like a cold. Like us, they had been careful in where they went and who they saw. Some of them know where they caught it but others have no idea.

However, I have suffered a bad reaction from the 4th jab. I can no longer raise my arms above my head and my left arm will not reach shoulder level. It's very painful and if I lift a full mug I have to support the left hand with the right. So, I'm now wondering whether I should have the next jab, when offered.

Cfaz49 Wed 17-Aug-22 12:24:26

Weirdly neither I or Mr Faz have had it. (That is to our knowledge. )We’ve had the vaccines. Once lockdown was lifted we went out and got back to normal as much as possible. Lots of family and friends have had it, but we’ve never had it.

AreWeThereYet Wed 17-Aug-22 12:33:06

As far as we know no one in our families have had Covid except parents of B-in-L, whose step-mother died early on in the pandemic. Months before Covid was recognized we both went down with a very nasty flu, which we later thought could have been Covid, but tests for antibodies were negative. Even the teachers and nurses in the families have so far not tested positive. We go out and about regularly and still wear masks in busy confined spaces - something I was grateful for when a man sneezed in my face last week. We don't test regularly anymore, just if we feel we need to because of where we are going or where we've been.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 17-Aug-22 12:36:45

We don't think we have had it. I had a sore throat for quite a while but tests were negative. We have been being careful, but have been on trains and in theatres and restaurants (with appropriate mask-wearing). No way of knowing for sure, really, is there? We will still take the next jag and be grateful for the chance.

MeowWow Wed 17-Aug-22 12:38:04

My husband and I haven’t had Covid. Loads in my family have had it.

silverlining48 Wed 17-Aug-22 12:38:49

I havnt had it either. Dh had it over christmas. We Are both doing the ONS study and are tested every month, also do a fingerprick blood test and both have higher levels of antibodies.
Always been cautious as has family, but all but my gs have had covid. None serious thank goodness, though dh still gets tired and a bit breathless.

silverlining48 Wed 17-Aug-22 12:40:12

As a matter of interest I know 3 people, all older women, who havnt been vaccinated and none have had Covid.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Wed 17-Aug-22 12:41:13

I haven't had Covid - just waiting really! All my family have had it, but they were very careful with me and husband. I have had 4 vaccines, 3 Pfizer and 1 Moderna.

Elizabeth27 Wed 17-Aug-22 12:42:16

I have not and have twice spent time looking after people with Covid.

bevisp1 Wed 17-Aug-22 13:14:25

As far as I know, I haven’t either, although I was very unwell (but carried on daily life), early December 2019, I wonder if that was it. Then my husband was positive with Covid over that Christmas, who was very unwell, not hospitalized though. And yet even to this day, other people around me has had it but never me. I still do home lateral flow tests especially within days of going to theatres, gigs etc. I’m only hoping when I go to Canada next week (the big one, it’s my sons wedding) upon entering the country, a number of people off each flight will get randomly picked to do a Covid test.
So ? I don’t get selected. Or if I do it had better be a negative one.

Zonne Wed 17-Aug-22 13:32:55

I haven’t, afaik, and I’m hoping I haven’t now jinxed myself!