Gransnet forums

Chat

Cruise and Covid

(88 Posts)
Lynker Wed 17-Aug-22 19:53:58

We are booked on a flight to Barcelona this weekend prior to a Med cruise. Today we have both tested positive to Covid. We contacted the cruise line for advice and they told us that we don't need to test and can board as planned. I am surprised to say the least. What do you think? Would you go?

FarNorth Sat 20-Aug-22 17:51:50

We don't all go to bars or restaurants.
Some of us consider those places to be an unacceptable infection risk, likewise cruise ships.
We are entitled to have that opinion, as you are to have yours.

Aveline Sat 20-Aug-22 18:04:51

Of course. Life goes on. I'm glad I'm not stuck in any more and am enjoying travel, eating and drinking in public places among which are cruise ships.

BlueSapphire Sat 20-Aug-22 18:14:47

I am on a cruise at the moment and we were given a test (which was administered under supervision) in the car at the port; it had to be negative before we could board, so everyone who's on the ship has tested negative. They were very thorough.

BlueSapphire Sat 20-Aug-22 18:18:18

I'm on a Saga cruise, by the way.

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 18:51:20

Thank you for that info, BlueSapphire. Reassuring. Enjoy your cruise.

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 19:10:41

No testing at all for Virgin, says my friend boarding today.

Candelle Sat 20-Aug-22 19:13:39

Lynker thank you for naming the company and for being brave and 'doing the right thing' by not going. You may well have saved someone from becoming very ill.

I heard that a month or so ago there was a ship which had 500 Covid-stricken passengers, of course all confined to their staterooms. If... this is true (it was hearsay) I did not see anything about it in the press or on television. If correct, this had been hushed up.

I love cruising but couldn't consider it at the moment as I am immunosuppressed. Many people are not ill with Covid and may not even know that they carry it; they are asymptomatic which is why the onus is on people such as myself to keep away as much as possible. However, when people do know they are Covid-positive it is mind-boggling to that they could allowed to board a ship. They will likely affect someone and there is no knowing who will and will not become ill and let's face it, most cruise passengers are not in the first flush of youth, so more vulnerable!

I hope your travel insurance will cough up and that you will soon be able to take another cruise. I wish you better (should you feel unwell, I think you are OK so far...!).

Candelle Sat 20-Aug-22 19:15:35

BlueSapphire thank you for advising that Saga test at the port before embarkation. Very interesting.

Lynker Sat 20-Aug-22 19:30:15

Thank you Candelle. I notified the cruise line to tell them I was testing positive with a view to cancelling the cruise. As a retired nurse, I could not believe that I could still board with Covid. As time goes on, it seems more cruise lines are relaxing their regulations. I will not be rushing to cruise again any time soon. I am hoping to test negative on Monday or Tuesday.

Candelle Mon 22-Aug-22 00:21:43

I have had Covid twice, once before I became ill and once recently (a close friend asked us over when not feeling brilliant and tested positive the next morning with us following on four days later. Grrrr.).

I just wanted to advise that in our case, we tested positive for 11 days with each infection (and I had an anti-viral infusion in hospital which I assumed would have shortened the length of my infection), so don't necessary expect a quick negative result.

I think you are a star in not travelling when Covid-positive and just wish there were more like you!

Thank you!

jamesclerkjc Fri 10-Mar-23 08:38:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Jaxjacky Fri 10-Mar-23 08:44:54

Reported