Gransnet forums

Chat

Cruise and Covid

(88 Posts)
Lynker Wed 17-Aug-22 19:53:58

We are booked on a flight to Barcelona this weekend prior to a Med cruise. Today we have both tested positive to Covid. We contacted the cruise line for advice and they told us that we don't need to test and can board as planned. I am surprised to say the least. What do you think? Would you go?

Jaxjacky Fri 19-Aug-22 11:54:50

Princess cruises do not require a test before embarking.

Fleurpepper Fri 19-Aug-22 12:03:24

Jaxjacky

So wrong and irresponsible. But then it is a very different story to the one in the OP- where OP has tested positive for Covid, told the Cruise line, who told them not to worry and still come along. THAT is bordering on the criminal as it will put vulnerable people (and we know that statistically those on go on Cruises, especially outside school holidays, are in the 'older' age groups.

Aveline Fri 19-Aug-22 12:18:14

Crowded restaurants, bars, shops, buses, trains etc are just as likely to be full of people who may have Covid as cruise ships. Wear masks, sanitise, do your best. It's all anyone can do.

Kittye Fri 19-Aug-22 13:26:49

Jaxjacky

If your cruise is under 16 days you have to test at home and confirm you have a negative result. It is based on trust.
We are doing a longer cruise with Princess and have to do an observed test 2 days before embarkation.

Fleurpepper Fri 19-Aug-22 13:42:26

Aveline

Crowded restaurants, bars, shops, buses, trains etc are just as likely to be full of people who may have Covid as cruise ships. Wear masks, sanitise, do your best. It's all anyone can do.

Fair enough. But would you go into restaurants, bars, shops, etc, if you had tested positive for Covid- risking infecting others?

I don't think (I hope) so. The OP is Covid +.

aonk Fri 19-Aug-22 15:15:09

I’m disappointed to read the words” petri dish”further up this thread. As someone who has already been on 2 cruises this year and is about to go on another I really disagree with the policy of that cruise line and wouldn’t travel at the moment with one where a negative test wasn’t required. It’s a simple thing to organise and helps to put peoples’minds at rest. For those of you who don’t wish to cruise please allow the rest of us to enjoy what we like. I don’t fancy many of the holidays mentioned on GN but wouldn’t say so.

Aveline Fri 19-Aug-22 19:25:34

The 'petri dish' comment is such a cliche and is trotted out every times cruise thread is started.
Fleurpepper it seems that lots of people don't have Covid symptoms so could easily be in any and every crowded space without knowing they could be infectious.
I'm surprised at this cruise ship allowing people known to have Covid to board. I expect they'll be quarantined on board. Some of the larger ships have special cabins for this and medical staff to check on them.

Fleurpepper Fri 19-Aug-22 19:34:24

You meant that company would accept them on board, having been told they have Covid- and then immediately quarantine them WOW.

Aveline Fri 19-Aug-22 20:38:19

I don't know. Judging by the various cruise messaging boards it looks like it.

Lynker Fri 19-Aug-22 21:12:07

I am due to board on Sunday. You wouldn't know I have Covid. They are not going to ask for any test results, so they wouldn't know I have it either. I think that since Aug 1st, this is probably the norm.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 19-Aug-22 21:14:24

I thought you weren’t going?

Lynker Fri 19-Aug-22 21:23:11

I aren't going, but that's my decision, not the cruise line's.

Fleurpepper Fri 19-Aug-22 21:36:52

Please update us about any refunds. What will the policy be if it is your decision, rather than theirs? How complicated!

FarNorth Fri 19-Aug-22 23:12:26

Although other passengers aren't being asked to test, I think they'd assume that the company would not allow someone to travel whom they know has tested positive.

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 13:13:52

I asked friend who are going on a cruise today, around the Med. They said no testing required. But as you say, FarNorth, in this case the clients tested, for whatever reasons, and were positive.

I am sorry if the 'petri dish' comment offends- but for me, it is a perfectly apt description in the current circumstances.

Aveline Sat 20-Aug-22 13:43:13

Every bus is a 'petri dish'!

aonk Sat 20-Aug-22 14:48:10

I wouldn’t exactly say that the comment offends but it is incorrect and inappropriate. A cruise ship is like a large hotel except with a much higher standard of cleanliness and hygiene. You can catch covid or any other contagious illness anywhere. As I said before it’s my belief that a negative test should be necessary before boarding a cruise ship. I know that some people on GN may wish to make comments about outbreaks of norovirus or other problems. These are rare which is why they get into the papers. Also cruises have got a bad reputation because of what happened in Japan at the beginning of the covid outbreak. If some cruise lines aren’t asking for tests then this is because their industry guidelines must have changed. I believe this to be a mistake but it’s the authorities who are at fault here.

Dinahmo Sat 20-Aug-22 14:55:03

Some friends who live here in France went on a 4 or 5 day cruise on the Gironde estuary. They returned on the Friday morning and were supposed to come to lunch the next day. That morning they received a call to tell them that one of the other people on the cruise, with whom they'd become friendly, had got covid. They had already cancelled lunch because they had flu like symptoms and didn't feel too well.

So, not a good idea to go if you have covid.

Until the end of lockdown I knew of nobody who had covid. Now I now more than a dozen people who;ve become ill, some not too bad but others quite severely.

Lynker Sat 20-Aug-22 15:24:26

Fleurpepper.....I tested because I had covid like symptoms and was due to board a cruise liner with 4000+ potentially vulnerable people on it. Would you have tested? As a result I am now at home, while 6 family members are enroute to the airport. I stand by my decision to test...but I wonder whether I am in the minority under the circumstances......my original question was 'would you go?'...........let me now ask....would you test?

Joseanne Sat 20-Aug-22 16:15:48

Not quite the same as a cruise, but I didn't test earlier this month to sail 12+ hours to France with Brittany Ferries, carrying capacity around 3000 people.
I went on board with a supply of masks because the CEO had sent emails to say they were re instating them to protect their staff. Fair enough. However, less than 5% of people were actually wearing them. It seems like a thing of the past.
On a long cruise I probably wouldn't have tested beforehand unless I felt ill, but reading this thread maybe I now would.

Grannynannywanny Sat 20-Aug-22 16:19:48

Lynker it must be such a disappointment and you should be commended for your responsible attitude and consideration for others. I hope your symptoms remain mild and that you are able to treat yourself to something nice while you’re stuck at home. Fingers crossed for you to receive a refund or alternative dates. ?

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 16:36:49

Lynker

Fleurpepper.....I tested because I had covid like symptoms and was due to board a cruise liner with 4000+ potentially vulnerable people on it. Would you have tested? As a result I am now at home, while 6 family members are enroute to the airport. I stand by my decision to test...but I wonder whether I am in the minority under the circumstances......my original question was 'would you go?'...........let me now ask....would you test?

Definitely, you did the right thing, and the right decision not to go. But have the other members of the family been with you last few days?

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 16:38:23

Aveline

Every bus is a 'petri dish'!

You don't eat, drink and chat to others generally on a bus, do you? Gel before, wear mask, gel after. Not the same at all.

Lynker Sat 20-Aug-22 17:05:17

Fleurpepper...no.
Granny....thank you.

Aveline Sat 20-Aug-22 17:38:28

I do chat to others on the bus and sit in closer proximity to strangers there than at any other time! Plenty of space on cruise ships. By all means trot out the cliche of 'floating Petri dishes' if it makes you feel safer. Good luck in bars and restaurants btw. People eat and drink in them on land too!smile