Gransnet forums

Chat

British Gas

(68 Posts)
Patsy70 Fri 19-Aug-22 15:45:44

We pay this bill by monthly direct debit. Last month the amount was £56.36. This month it is £239.09.
There has been no notification of this huge increase. When I attempt to access my online account they will not accept my email address, which has been changed in the past few years since registering online. There is no opportunity to provide the new one or to see our account. I spent 3 hours both online and on the phone trying to get answers. I managed to log a complaint, which could take between 7 and 21 days before anyone contacts me. Apparently, this is happening a lot with regard to the over-inflated direct debits. Has anyone else experienced this?

Dickens Sun 21-Aug-22 13:25:49

Keeper1

I was contacted by British Gas suggesting I set up a direct debit and I refused they asked why. Your experience is the reason why I like to control what goes in and out of my bank account and not have companies increasing amounts as they see fit.

... I like to control what goes in and out of my bank account and not have companies increasing amounts as they see fit.

Quite.

I was also asked "why" when I refused DDs by British Gas. I told them that I was not going to give a reason because if I did - they'd argue against it.

It is quite simple. They want you to go for DDs because it's cheaper and easier for them and they can estimate your usage to suit their bank account, not yours. People who use DDs often (so it's been reported) are less frugal with their usage than those who pay on demand. I use less when I can see the bills coming in each quarter - it concentrates the mind.

volver Sun 21-Aug-22 13:34:43

Sorry, I'm on a roll now...

I was also asked "why" when I refused DDs by British Gas. I told them that I was not going to give a reason because if I did - they'd argue against it. or, in other words, they would be able to explain away any issues you had with the idea.

They want you to go for DDs because it's cheaper and easier for them Or, in other words, they would be able to run their companies more efficiently and reduce their charges when they can.

I know I'm on a hiding to nothing trying to defend the power companies just now. I'm definitely of the opinion that they are making money for nothing But it seems to me that people are not taking advantage of things that would help keep their charges down, for spurious reasons.

growstuff Sun 21-Aug-22 13:38:16

In case you can't find Live Chat, the link is here:

www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-support/contact-us

Oldnproud Sun 21-Aug-22 13:52:22

Just be aware, before simply stopping Direct Debits, that an increasing number of energy suppliers have changed their T&Cs, and can charge you a fee if they are unable to collect the DD as expected.

Patsy70 Sun 21-Aug-22 14:03:12

Thank you growstuff. I did try live chat and here is the response: ‘I’ve checked the details for you and I see that your account is with our new platform. Unfortunately, I currently don’t have access to this new platform so I won’t be able to assist you. However, we’ve a dedicated team who can surely help you with this. You can connect with this team on the below link. britishgasevolve.co.uk’.
Apparently this ‘platform’ no longer exists!

Dickens Sun 21-Aug-22 14:45:31

volver

...in other words, they would be able to run their companies more efficiently and reduce their charges when they can.

Oh - you mean they pass on their cost-savings to their customers?

Do you have any record of them ever reducing their charges - because I certainly don't. If they did - I'd actually re-think. In the meantime, I'd prefer the credit in my bank account rather than theirs.

Chestnut Sun 21-Aug-22 14:49:15

Keeper1

I was contacted by British Gas suggesting I set up a direct debit and I refused they asked why. Your experience is the reason why I like to control what goes in and out of my bank account and not have companies increasing amounts as they see fit.

This is not true. I have complete control over my monthly direct debit. I can reduce it if I think I'm paying too much. But with costs going up it may not cover what I'm using. I can then increase the monthly amount.

The idea is to get a balance so your payments cover your usage over the year. Thus you will be in credit at the end of the summer when you use less but this will get used up during the winter. It's like having your own little energy bank account where you put money in for drawing out later.

I don't understand why everyone is so suspicious of this. The money is yours! Any surplus amount belongs to you.

The problem is that now the cost of energy is skyrocketing it is impossible to set a monthly direct debit which balances out over the year. Those days are gone. There is only one way your direct debit can go now, and that is up.

volver Sun 21-Aug-22 14:50:27

Och, I said I was on a hiding to nothing...

But what we are hearing is that there is a way for BG or anybody else to reduce costs, but some people won't engage because they want to keep their own money in their own bank and use antiquated ways of paying for things.

I get interest on any credit in my Ovo account, 3% I think. Its definitely more than I'd get from a bank. Things aren't always as straightforward as people think.

Dickens Sun 21-Aug-22 15:10:59

volver

But what we are hearing is that there is a way for BG or anybody else to reduce costs, but some people won't engage because they want to keep their own money in their own bank and use antiquated ways of paying for things.

I get interest on any credit in my Ovo account, 3% I think. Its definitely more than I'd get from a bank. Things aren't always as straightforward as people think.

Each payment method has its advantages and disadvantages - for both the company and the customer.

I have chosen the one that suits me.

Having once been 'bitten' by the DD method - I'm not keen to use it again. Antiquated or not, I'll continue to pay for what I use - perusing the bills, I've been able to reduce them. One size does not fit all, which is why the companies still allow for the moment, the choice.

Chestnut Sun 21-Aug-22 15:15:13

Dickens Won't they allow you to pay by monthly direct debit for the energy you've used that month rather than a set amount? I used to do that but it does involve large winter payments of course.

volver Sun 21-Aug-22 15:40:48

Dickens

volver

Each payment method has its advantages and disadvantages - for both the company and the customer.

Having once been 'bitten' by the DD method - I'm not keen to use it again. Antiquated or not, I'll continue to pay for what I use - perusing the bills, I've been able to reduce them. One size does not fit all, which is why the companies still allow for the moment, the choice.

Agreed - people have to do the thing that is best for them.

I peruse my usage by having a smart meter and reviewing the daily usage on the Ovo Website. I know what costs a lot of money and I avoid using it. And I don't have to wait until the monthly bill comes in to find out what I should do.

Joane123 Sun 21-Aug-22 16:03:57

I should have pointed out that my bill at the end of July was £62.00 after I had sent my readings in. Paper bill via the post.

growstuff Sun 21-Aug-22 16:08:54

Patsy70

Thank you growstuff. I did try live chat and here is the response: ‘I’ve checked the details for you and I see that your account is with our new platform. Unfortunately, I currently don’t have access to this new platform so I won’t be able to assist you. However, we’ve a dedicated team who can surely help you with this. You can connect with this team on the below link. britishgasevolve.co.uk’.
Apparently this ‘platform’ no longer exists!

Good luck! That makes no sense to me, but I expect it does to someone.

growstuff Sun 21-Aug-22 16:12:28

volver

Same here! Apparently they even check whether people are using their energy account as a "savings account" because it pays better interest than banks.

growstuff Sun 21-Aug-22 16:18:03

Dickens

volver

I keep track of my usage on my Ovo dashboard. I can check my daily amount and compare it with last year's usage. I get a childish pleasure from beating my target of using less than last year. Unfortunately, I can also compare costs and I'm always paying more for less :-(.

My financial situation means I couldn't cope with an unexpected big hit, so I'm happy to build up a credit over the summer and know that the winter bills won't be such a shock.

volver Sun 21-Aug-22 16:20:03

Just been reading a bit about this, Apparently if you wait for a paper bill then pay it, instead of using DD, you pay on average about 7% more than DD users.

Just saying...

Joane123 Sun 21-Aug-22 16:29:57

And it keeps on coming!!

lemsip Sun 21-Aug-22 16:30:24

Mine

I'm give my readings for both gas and electric monthly...I then receive my bill on line and pay by Internet banking...This way I have control of how much is leaving my bank...

I do it that way too

growstuff Sun 21-Aug-22 16:36:27

Joane123

I should have pointed out that my bill at the end of July was £62.00 after I had sent my readings in. Paper bill via the post.

Is that for dual fuel?

MissChateline Sun 21-Aug-22 16:52:15

Have you considered changing to another company? I use Octopus, I can usually speak to a very helpful human being within 5 minutes and if I email them I get a reply within 24 hours. I am able to manage my account easily on the app on my phone and they offer to repay funds into my bank account if they feel that I have built up an excess. My last communication with them was a suggestion that I might wish to reduce my DD as I wasn’t using as much in the summer and I was OK with what they estimated for the winter months. The staff are helpful and were one of the few companies who understood when I needed to take over control of my fathers utilities bills when he went into a care home leaving an empty house which was being sold.
I wouldn’t stay with a company that treated me, their customer, with such contempt.

Dickens Sun 21-Aug-22 18:00:59

volver

Just been reading a bit about this, Apparently if you wait for a paper bill then pay it, instead of using DD, you pay on average about 7% more than DD users.

Just saying...

... I don't get a paper bill.

I send a meter reading online - my online account then updates to show the current balance, and then I pay the bill - online.

I doubt anyone is physically involved in the transaction.

Joane123 Sun 21-Aug-22 18:11:17

(Sorry I was watching the gymnastics - unfortunately we got knocked down the table by the end!)
growstuff Yes, for dual fuel, but don't forget they took over £140 by DD the month before.
I sent a reading in for this month and await the bill. I will come back to say how much it is when it arrives.
I am very conscious about how much is used here, and have read Martin Lewis's tips for saving on fuel costs (i.e. microwave instead of oven on occasions etc.)

growstuff Sun 21-Aug-22 18:23:24

That seems quite cheap Joane and I was wondering how you do it.

My last three bills have been:

May £98.52
June £84.13
July £89.92

I live in a well-insulated two bedroom terraced house, usually on my own, and rarely use the oven or other appliances. I haven't used the heating for three months.

My usage is less than it was last year, but costing more.

My bills for last winter were:

December £179.68
January £219.39
February £178.69

I pay £140 a month direct debit, which won't cover any steep increases even with the credit on my account. I'm going to need the government support!

I'm always on the look out for ways to save energy.

Blackcat3 Sun 21-Aug-22 18:29:43

I do and have always paid by quarterly direct debit….so as long as I make sure the meter readings are accurate…no estimates…I pay for what I use….no more no less……why do it by random monthly payments…leaves you open to the whims and fancies of the energy companies….who are quick to tell you if you are in debt but not so quick to refund credits! I’d rather see the money in my account not theirs!

Casdon Sun 21-Aug-22 18:55:11

Blackcat3

I do and have always paid by quarterly direct debit….so as long as I make sure the meter readings are accurate…no estimates…I pay for what I use….no more no less……why do it by random monthly payments…leaves you open to the whims and fancies of the energy companies….who are quick to tell you if you are in debt but not so quick to refund credits! I’d rather see the money in my account not theirs!

I can’t see what the advantage of paying quarterly is over paying by monthly variable direct debit though Blackcat3, I’d rather pay for what I’ve used in the past month than get a shock at the end of the quarter?