Gransnet forums

Chat

British Gas

(68 Posts)
Patsy70 Fri 19-Aug-22 15:45:44

We pay this bill by monthly direct debit. Last month the amount was £56.36. This month it is £239.09.
There has been no notification of this huge increase. When I attempt to access my online account they will not accept my email address, which has been changed in the past few years since registering online. There is no opportunity to provide the new one or to see our account. I spent 3 hours both online and on the phone trying to get answers. I managed to log a complaint, which could take between 7 and 21 days before anyone contacts me. Apparently, this is happening a lot with regard to the over-inflated direct debits. Has anyone else experienced this?

volver Sun 21-Aug-22 19:10:47

Dickens

volver

Just been reading a bit about this, Apparently if you wait for a paper bill then pay it, instead of using DD, you pay on average about 7% more than DD users.

Just saying...

... I don't get a paper bill.

I send a meter reading online - my online account then updates to show the current balance, and then I pay the bill - online.

I doubt anyone is physically involved in the transaction.

I doubt anyone is physically involved in the transaction.

Apart from you.

Also, I doubt anyone from the power company is physically involved in the transaction when paper bills are involved, they will be machine generated and stuck in an envelope by a machine too.

The cheapest way for any organisation to process payments is regularly, automatically and with no waiting time between due date and payment date. Not even half an hour. So, automatic regular DDs is the cheapest way.

I haven't counted, but there are at least 4 way being talked about on this thread; that means 4 parallel payment systems working at the same time that need to have IT oversight and support. "Online" doesn't automatically mean "no added cost."

Casdon Sun 21-Aug-22 19:54:33

I don’t think you pay more if you pay by variable direct debit do you volver, only if you pay directly with no direct debit in place- I could be wrong, but I’ve always paid that way?

volver Sun 21-Aug-22 20:01:31

Casdon

I don’t think you pay more if you pay by variable direct debit do you volver, only if you pay directly with no direct debit in place- I could be wrong, but I’ve always paid that way?

I don't know for sure Casdon, I just saw the 7% thing on Martin Lewis's site. (I think)

Dickens Mon 22-Aug-22 02:18:36

I haven't counted, but there are at least 4 way being talked about on this thread; that means 4 parallel payment systems working at the same time that need to have IT oversight and support. "Online" doesn't automatically mean "no added cost."

Those payment systems exist because it's accepted that customers' circumstances are variable. Income, for some, is not consistent. Those on zero-hour contracts for example cannot always budget for set amounts to be deducted from their accounts.

Obviously "automatic regular DDs is the cheapest way" but if people cannot maintain those payments consistently throughout the year, if they sometimes have to rob Peter to pay Paul, then DDs will not work for them, because they are living hand-to-mouth.

My own business which I ran until Brexit made it uneconomical did not guarantee a regular income. That, together with the experience of a previous DD - I won't bore you with the details - set too high and which exhausted me to great yawning sobs to get it 'fixed' - means that I find paying on demand for the energy I've consumed suits my circumstances. I assume the extra cost of IT oversight and support is factored into this method of payment (somewhere between 5-7%, I think). As the whole process of reading the meter, putting that reading online and paying the bill takes a matter of minutes, I'm not losing any sleep over my involvement in the transaction.

I don't understand why - as with so many 'things' in life - you don't understand that one size doesn't fit all.

volver Mon 22-Aug-22 03:16:08

I don't understand why - as with so many 'things' in life - you don't understand that one size doesn't fit all.

Why do you think I don't understand that? Do you think I'm an idiot?

I understand fine, but I'm just pointing out to people how things are. And that's that wanting to have a variety of payment methods available to people, costs money. And when people are wanting to save money, you'd think they'd want to use the cheapest method available to them. But if anybody doesn't want that, it is, of course their choice.

MadeInYorkshire Mon 22-Aug-22 09:30:57

Nightmare company - best way to contact them is actually via Facebook message as you will get someone in this country - Live chat - GRRR! On for hours, saved the chat and it has disappeared! Open a complaint - kept trying to close it - do not let them until your issue is sorted!!
Eventually they will call you to try and sort it out, but still haven't sorted my bill since I moved in in January! Despite it saying I had a smart meter on my account, but it wasn't working. Booked a smart meter installation, sent me 90 quid in non attendance fees! Speak on phone to complaints team who want to close complaint - said no as still haven't had a bill since I moved in in January. Give him new readings - get the 11th bill which is wrong! Now says I would be better off having a smart meter online and again it says my smart meter is sending readings every 30 mins! Can't win .... so have booked another smart meter engineer to come on Wednesday - think I will lock him into the meter cupboard until something is sorted. Having said that, when they do get it right it will be an horrific bill I know I can't pay .... not sure which is worse?

MadeInYorkshire Mon 22-Aug-22 09:32:34

Con....

Forgot to say that a smart meter engineer came several weeks ago and said it was sorted - certainly wasn't!!

Oldnproud Mon 22-Aug-22 10:00:31

MadeInYorkshire

Nightmare company - best way to contact them is actually via Facebook message as you will get someone in this country - Live chat - GRRR! On for hours, saved the chat and it has disappeared! Open a complaint - kept trying to close it - do not let them until your issue is sorted!!
Eventually they will call you to try and sort it out, but still haven't sorted my bill since I moved in in January! Despite it saying I had a smart meter on my account, but it wasn't working. Booked a smart meter installation, sent me 90 quid in non attendance fees! Speak on phone to complaints team who want to close complaint - said no as still haven't had a bill since I moved in in January. Give him new readings - get the 11th bill which is wrong! Now says I would be better off having a smart meter online and again it says my smart meter is sending readings every 30 mins! Can't win .... so have booked another smart meter engineer to come on Wednesday - think I will lock him into the meter cupboard until something is sorted. Having said that, when they do get it right it will be an horrific bill I know I can't pay .... not sure which is worse?

Although I've never done it myself, the advice I most commonly see regarding energy companies not resolving genuine issues (such as not providing a bill since January) is to use Resolver, the free online tool for complaints and claims.

It seems that companies are very quick to sort things out once they know you have started going down that road!

I was once with a horrendous energy company, and still follow the Facebook page started by angry customers of theirs, to share our experiences and to help each other.
Using Resolver is a piece of advice that is still regularly given on there. It is said to be very easy to do, and the reports of how quickly the issues were dealt with via Resolver are still appearing regularly.

Just Google Resolver, and you should find it straight away.

Blinko Mon 22-Aug-22 10:07:36

JaneJudge

I am sick of Brutish Gas. They once took thousands out of my account on a ridiculous estimated bill (despite the fact we have a smart meter) and yesterday I received a debt collection letter off a legal company working for them trying to recover a bill for when I didn't live here angry they waste so much of my precious time

Something similar happened to us years ago. I've never used BG since.

Patsy70 Mon 22-Aug-22 10:43:45

So many bad experiences. Thank you for your advice. I’ll be writing a few letters today, and looking into the Facebook option.

Dickens Mon 22-Aug-22 11:13:10

volver

^I don't understand why - as with so many 'things' in life - you don't understand that one size doesn't fit all.^

I understand fine, but I'm just pointing out to people how things are. And that's that wanting to have a variety of payment methods available to people, costs money. And when people are wanting to save money, you'd think they'd want to use the cheapest method available to them. But if anybody doesn't want that, it is, of course their choice.

And when people are wanting to save money, you'd think they'd want to use the cheapest method available to them.

The cheapest method still requires a regular income of a fixed amount. Irregular and fluctuating work hours make it challenging to plan a budget. As some on ZHCs have pointed out.

Isn't it a fact of life that the low-paid quite often cannot take advantage of cost-saving plans and options? Buying-in-bulk is a cost-saver, too, but one that many cannot afford. Do you not 'get' that for some, the money goes out the minute it comes in, and that the "cheapest method" available to them is to simply switch off the heating which, if social media is anything to go by, is what quite a few people intend to do... because they have to juggle which bill they can afford - not being able to afford them all. As I said, they rob Peter to pay Paul - if 'Peter' can wait a bit longer than 'Paul'.

And no, I don't think you're an idiot, not at all. I do think you are confrontational and frequently unsympathetic to opinions and views that don't match your own. Which probably results in responses being more emphatic than they need be when posters - me - attempt to get across a point which seems to have been simply dismissed.

But, that's how social media works, we're all different with varied perspectives. I'm genuinely sorry if you thought my observations implied I thought you were an idiot, that was definitely not my intention.

Have the last word if it suits. I'll make a point in future of not engaging with you (not even sure why I did anyway - or maybe because you responded to my post, whatever, it doesn't really matter) because I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye - and that doesn't matter either, except that it might disrupt an otherwise 'useful' thread for others.

Over and out. Have a good afternoon.

Dickens Mon 22-Aug-22 11:28:54

JaneJudge

I am sick of Brutish Gas. They once took thousands out of my account on a ridiculous estimated bill (despite the fact we have a smart meter) and yesterday I received a debt collection letter off a legal company working for them trying to recover a bill for when I didn't live here angry they waste so much of my precious time

That is horrendous.

I've heard of this happening - people being sent a bill for a period of time when they didn't occupy the property. And the difficulty in getting someone to sort it out which sometimes takes so long that a further letter from the debt collection agency arrives...

I don't understand how they can get it so wrong and, having got it wrong, not seem capable of putting it right. How many key-strokes does it take to change a date, or a name?

... and it is the time and energy spent on these problems that is so infuriating (and debilitating), it can upset and mess up your whole day. As I know from experience.

volver Mon 22-Aug-22 11:48:26

Dickens

volver

And when people are wanting to save money, you'd think they'd want to use the cheapest method available to them.

The cheapest method still requires a regular income of a fixed amount. Irregular and fluctuating work hours make it challenging to plan a budget. As some on ZHCs have pointed out.

Isn't it a fact of life that the low-paid quite often cannot take advantage of cost-saving plans and options? Buying-in-bulk is a cost-saver, too, but one that many cannot afford. Do you not 'get' that for some, the money goes out the minute it comes in, and that the "cheapest method" available to them is to simply switch off the heating which, if social media is anything to go by, is what quite a few people intend to do... because they have to juggle which bill they can afford - not being able to afford them all. As I said, they rob Peter to pay Paul - if 'Peter' can wait a bit longer than 'Paul'.

And no, I don't think you're an idiot, not at all. I do think you are confrontational and frequently unsympathetic to opinions and views that don't match your own. Which probably results in responses being more emphatic than they need be when posters - me - attempt to get across a point which seems to have been simply dismissed.

But, that's how social media works, we're all different with varied perspectives. I'm genuinely sorry if you thought my observations implied I thought you were an idiot, that was definitely not my intention.

Have the last word if it suits. I'll make a point in future of not engaging with you (not even sure why I did anyway - or maybe because you responded to my post, whatever, it doesn't really matter) because I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye - and that doesn't matter either, except that it might disrupt an otherwise 'useful' thread for others.

Over and out. Have a good afternoon.

Jeezy peeps.

I quite understand the issues facing people on low incomes. It may interest you to know that I don't have any income at all, and haven't had since Covid came. However I have still managed to arrange that I pay by DD and hence take advantage of the lowest-cost payment method.

If people can't use a particular payment method because of their financial circumstances, that's one thing. If people complain loudly about the power companies helping themselves to money from their accounts, and so decide not to use the lower cost methods because they think Big Energy are a bunch of cheating charlatans out to get them, that's something else entirely.

And just to be clear, I haven't put you in either camp so please don't feel you have to defend yourself, I know nothing about your situation except what you choose to tell us.

One thing you are right about - I don't have much sympathy for individuals who don't take charge of their own accounts and then blame other entities when things go wrong. Especially if they won't listen to reason and won't take responsibility.

And just to make sure I get the final word... wink I made a general post about paper bills and you leapt to tell me you don't use paper bills. I hadn't mentioned you. I made a general observation. Sometimes on social media, people think they are being got at when that isn't happening at all.

Dickens Mon 22-Aug-22 11:53:13

Chestnut

Dickens Won't they allow you to pay by monthly direct debit for the energy you've used that month rather than a set amount? I used to do that but it does involve large winter payments of course.

Thanks for that Chestnut - I didn't know that one could pay a DD that way.

For most, the winter payments are a stinger... but for us, winter sees us more financially viable!

I'm going to look into this now. Thanks again!

Chestnut Mon 22-Aug-22 14:20:44

Dickens I'm not sure they still do that but it's worth haggling and asking for that option.

NotAGran55 Mon 22-Aug-22 15:08:52

Chestnut

Dickens I'm not sure they still do that but it's worth haggling and asking for that option.

It’s called a variable Direct Debit and I pay my British Gas account this way.

The bill is produced 10 days ahead of the DD being taken, giving a chance to check, query or stop it before it goes out.

The notice period is part of the Direct Debit Guarantee.

Dickens Mon 22-Aug-22 17:01:29

NotAGran55

Chestnut

It’s called a variable Direct Debit and I pay my British Gas account this way.

The bill is produced 10 days ahead of the DD being taken, giving a chance to check, query or stop it before it goes out.

The notice period is part of the Direct Debit Guarantee.

Chestnut and NotAGran55

Thank you, both.

I now know what to look for NotAGran55 as I'm with BG.

It would certainly suit.