Gransnet forums

Chat

Translation please

(53 Posts)
Daftbag1 Thu 25-Aug-22 12:57:30

I keep reading this, and hearing it on the news, so will someone else translate the word 'WOKE', for me? I thought it was to do with waking from sleep.

Is anyone else struggling to understand their mother tongue due to these new meanings for words?

Mollygo Thu 16-Mar-23 04:36:29

growstuff

I interpret it as the opposite. It's used as an insult by people accusing others of virtue signalling.

It’s usually used by those who claim they are woke or that others are not woke as they insult those they think are not as aware of changes in the world, or those who don’t accept things that are untrue just because the woke think they should.

Elegran Thu 16-Mar-23 09:00:58

absent

Being a devoted grammar pedant, I tend to wince at the use of this word, as in "she is woke". However, I think it's mainly used to emphasise that, while people are of course entitled to have opinions on any subject, be it religion, politics, parenting, abortion, wearing masks during a pandemic, same sex marriage or lots of other things, they are not entitled to insist that everyone else should follow their particular "rules".

Very true, until those who believe that they are woke and everyone else is still asleep insist that everyone follow their particular draconic rules.

That is what is done by some early-adopters who enthusiastically accuse those who are not using the latest buzzwords of being against the principle that the buzzword describes. A rose is a rose by any other name.