Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you bring home from holidays?

(74 Posts)
Sago Wed 07-Sep-22 17:54:29

Earlier this year we drove to France and came home with; Wine, wooden floor cleaner, soap and olive oil.

We’re currently in France but flying home so really limited, friends are driving back with our wine and walnut oil so it’s just 4 bags of bouquet garni.

What do you bring home from your travels?

Hellogirl1 Wed 07-Sep-22 21:56:42

Nothing spectacular, usually fridge magnets and tea towels.

Mollygo Wed 07-Sep-22 21:59:58

Mayonnaise with mustard, Rillettes du Mans and any other goodies we can fit in the fridge box. K2R, washing liquid with Savon de Marseille fragrance and shower gel. It may sound crazy but for months I do my washing and shower with the scent of the holidays.

NanKate Wed 07-Sep-22 22:02:53

Cheddar cheese infused with garlic and herbs - delicious ?

dragonfly46 Wed 07-Sep-22 22:15:14

Apple sauce and chocolate flakes for on bread from the Netherlands! One of my DD’s Christmas presents!

Nannagarra Wed 07-Sep-22 22:35:29

Copious notes of what we’ve done plus tons of photos on my phone. Receipts and tickets as souvenirs. Vast amounts of books and leaflets about local walks, beauty spots and attractions. Mementoes and memories.
Silikomart in Italy, handicrafts from Asia though I’m a comparatively reluctant shopper when away.
Mozzy bites, no matter how hard I try to avoid the blighters. (Shakes head.)

Deedaa Wed 07-Sep-22 22:45:50

DD went to Germany with a schoolfriend's family back in the days of the Berlin wall. The family were German so she got to visit some of their relatives in East Germany. When they came home their (very large) car was packed so full of booze it could hardly move. Heaven knows how they never got stopped.

Redhead56 Wed 07-Sep-22 23:24:05

If abroad usually local wine liquors and sweets. We are going to Ludlow soon nice food shopping a good variety. We will be going to deli for cured meats and cheese to bring home. Since Covid we don't have deli anymore so not much choice here at all.

nanna8 Wed 07-Sep-22 23:53:59

Presents for the kids basically - usually something produced locally. Wine is usually better here ( we live just up the road from a wine producing area). Usually ‘local’ for us is the Pacific region but you have to declare anything wooden which may or may not be allowed in.

grandMattie Thu 08-Sep-22 06:00:32

Not much normally. But I like to try and find a pair if fish earrings and/or a little bowl, preferably in blue and white. (My mother used to call them useless bowls, but loved them!)

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Sep-22 06:30:34

Gifts for the grandchildren- toys or clothing.

Local delicacies.
Huge bags of salt-preserved capers.

Pebbles, flaked paint, bits if stone, sticks etc for colour-matching in my artwork later.
Drawings, sketches, patterns.
100s of photos of details (corner of a wall, close-up of tree bark, rusty metal...) and a few photos of places/views/landscapes.

Once, years ago when it was hard to find big fans in the UK I brought a massive electric fan back.

One year I came back with a driving fine... I drove the "wrong way" into an Italian town (Perugia area?)

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Sep-22 06:33:05

My daughter came back from a holiday having bought a piece of art, a painting she had spent her house deposit savings on.

Daddima Thu 08-Sep-22 10:22:05

Grandmadinosaur

Wine, any local alcohol drinks ( they never taste the same back home though!) any local sweet delicacies ie turron from Spain,fridge magnets,a calendar of the country visited.

I agree about the taste Grandmadinosaur, so I’d only bring something which really caught my eye ( and usually for myself, as the days of gifts for everbody are long gone)

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Sep-22 10:55:25

I came back pregnant from one holiday with DH and Sons …

Norah Thu 08-Sep-22 12:17:25

Typically tablecloths of Provence. for our daughter and us. Wash beautifully, last a long time, bright happy for the kitchen.

NotSpaghetti Thu 08-Sep-22 12:17:40

GrannyGravy13
smile

Georgesgran Thu 08-Sep-22 14:35:00

Usually a cold - despite being told aircraft recycled air is fine.
GG?

Maria59 Thu 08-Sep-22 18:23:17

Memories

JaneJudge Thu 08-Sep-22 18:25:57

a fatter body

Fleurpepper Thu 08-Sep-22 18:26:19

Maria59

Memories

Yes, the same. rarely bring anything else back these days, unless it is very very special.

tidyskatemum Thu 08-Sep-22 19:19:24

We brought a hand made chair back from Orkney on the back seat of the car. We drove very carefully!

Fleurpepper Thu 08-Sep-22 19:23:42

Fleurpepper

Maria59

Memories

Yes, the same. rarely bring anything else back these days, unless it is very very special.

Two years ago we went to visit the Lalique Museum in NE France, as I have admired and loved his work forever. And I spent a large sum of my savings on a very special vase, a copy of one my grand-father bought from the great René himself. The only known copy in the UK is at the V&A.

rubysong Thu 08-Sep-22 21:24:41

The only thing I brought back from a trip to Chicago was a china dish with a rabbit handle, made for devilled eggs.

CanadianGran Thu 08-Sep-22 22:26:26

Tidyskatemum, that is beautiful! I don't think there are many that can weave rush seats anymore.

I forgot to add we usually bring back a little sand and some small shells if we are on a beach vacation. Once home, we arrange them in glass jars (usually from used candles since they have nicer lids) and mark them with the place and date. We have quite a few now, one day they may all be layered in one large glass jar or vase.

pandapatch Thu 08-Sep-22 22:50:49

My husband, complete with random bits of stone he has picked up (he loves archeology) and some undrinkable local drink that tasted great on holiday!

Babs758 Thu 08-Sep-22 23:30:09

Big bag of Nutmegs and vanilla pods and sulphur soap from the Caribbean markets.
Provence soap and vache qui rit cocktails cheeses at Christmas from France plus a case of decent Pouilly Fumé and white asparagus from the Spring markets.