Gransnet forums

Chat

Save the pennies and....

(110 Posts)
vampirequeen Tue 20-Sep-22 08:56:28

Last year most of us went on a saving campaign when the price of gas and electricity shot through the roof. We batch cook, use the slow cooker and microwave more often, wash full loads, turn the heating down, put up thicker curtains, put foil behind the radiators, only boil the water we need, keep doors closed etc.

What ideas do you have for more penny pinching this year?

I've discovered that if you bring pasta to a rolling boil and put a lid on the pan, you can switch it off. Fifteen minutes later the pasta will have cooked.

AreWeThereYet Wed 21-Sep-22 14:41:09

Surely an 800 spin means clothes take forever to dry?

In the Winter I have always dried clothes on an airer in a spare room, if we have one, or in the bathroom. Most things these days dry in 24 hours or less, even sheets. Heavier duvet covers and towels might take a bit longer. Might not be the case if you have a cold house though.

The only things that get tumble dried here usually are large bath towels when the weather is bad.

Dickens Wed 21-Sep-22 15:38:34

HousePlantQueen

I am not sure about this washing at 20 degrees. Firstly, items such as underwear, towels, dish cloths can be full of bacteria which will not be dealt with at such a low temperature, and secondly, using detergents repeatedly at such low temperatures will likely end up bunging up your washing machine. It is becoming comically competitive on how mean people can be, to my mind. Just wait until your washing machine has a full load and wash it at an effective temperature.

Spandex
Nylon
Polyester

... are best washed in hot water according to this site:

4jlaundromat.com/washing-clothes-in-cold-water/

As are "knitted" garments.

Like you, I wonder if the washing powders, gels and liquids build up a residue.

I assume also that all or most clothes attract bacteria of some description or other.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 21-Sep-22 15:45:48

My washing would still be very wet if spun at 800. Dripping. I know because I accidentally pressed the wrong button last week.

Shinamae Wed 21-Sep-22 16:06:48

I always put some washing soda in with my soap powder, I also use white vinegar and a splash of floral disinfectant rather than fabric conditioner..

Jaxjacky Wed 21-Sep-22 16:32:33

In all my (many) years of washing, I’ve never used fabric conditioner, I don’t think my Mum did either. Washing is always done at 30deg, yes to an extra spin and dried on an airer in the spare room if it’s wet outside. I’m much better now at a full load only.
I’ve turned the temperature down on the boiler for hot water, run a cooler shower, that encourages a quicker one and stopped conditioning my hair, which seems to be fine.
Hoovering upstairs is down to every 2/3 weeks, we only use our bedroom, it had become a weekly habit, similarly washing the floor in the family bathroom, our ensuite is cleaned as it’s used.
Small changes.

Franbern Wed 21-Sep-22 16:42:19

My washing machine spins at 160, thank goodness. Rarely need to use an iron, drape washing over airer in my spare bedroom, leaving window there wide open. In very bad weather will use my heat pump tumble dryer.

I also have a couple of little gadgets into which I put my toothpaste tubes, or any other tubes and not only does this provide them with a safe stand, but the small screw at the side takes out every last piece of anything in the tube. No cutting, no waste.

Leaving lights on seems to have been around for sometime. Back in the 1990's I can remember coming back home where there were some of my teenage children, and looking at the 'Christmas Tree' effect in that every light was on and not a single curtain closed!!!!

Once those youngsters set up their own households they tend to be the ones insisting on turning off lights as anyone leaves the room.

I keep looking at thoio0se liss of how to save money - and find that I have been doing all of them for a very long time.

The thing that most annoys me is food waste, people throwing out perfectly good food just because a date stamped on the package had gone past.

Esspee Wed 21-Sep-22 18:48:10

Years ago I started “using half” so things like detergent, shampoo and all chemicals I use half the amount I used to use. Mostly you don’t notice a difference. If the result is unsatisfactory then I add a little more until the result is as required. It doesn’t take long to get used to knowing just how little product you can get away with.
It wasn’t an attempt to save money but was sparked by a wish to reduce my contribution to water pollution.
I used to spray bathroom cleaner liberally round the bathtub. Now I spray the scouring pad side of the sponge and two squirts is enough to clean the whole bath. I shampoo my hair once rather than twice as suggested. Think of it as being kind to the planet.

hollysteers Wed 21-Sep-22 19:37:42

I reuse a teabag for another mug of tea, have never bought fabric conditioner, use cloth handkerchiefs, have never bought paper tissues.
As plastic carrier bags have to be paid for, I use newspaper to line small bins, make my own greetings cards, never buy wrapping paper (there are lots of ways to create your own), never pay for parking in my own town, just walk a bit further.
No expensive or even mid range creams, they make no difference. Vaseline is good for everything, including removing makeup.
Use a root spray between hairdresser visits, it gives me quite a bit longer.
Often have a strip wash (one sink full of water) rather than a shower.
Take the bus with pass more often, even having a car.
Wash my hair once a week or even longer.
Ask for soap for presents so never have to buy it.
When the washing up liquid gets near the end, fill up with some water and give it a good shake, diluted yes, but works well.
Turn your knickers inside out for another day ?

Sallywally1 Thu 22-Sep-22 22:50:05

I’ve just bought a hot water bottle which you heat up in the microwave. I put this on my lap in the evening along with a fluffy blanket and we have avoided putting on the gas fire or heating. I was quite surprised it was so effective. Cost around £11 from amazon. I have also bought a couple of thermal vests from marks, also a good buy at £15 for two. I do seem to feel the cold more now I am getting older (67). I always used to be too hot!

janipans Fri 23-Sep-22 11:30:54

I'm in the process of making fabric present bags for birthdays and Christmas which I am calling "RE-Bags". There is an initial cost to me as I often use new ribbon etc, but I use a laundry pen to encourage people to "Re-Use", "Re-Purpose" or Re-Turn", so they enjoy the present and the future saving on wrapping paper!
So far everyone has loved them. The bid Spiderman bag made for my grandsons birthday present is now a handy laundry bag for his room, and one of my bags has become a handy make up bag. The rest have been re-used or saved for re-use, but the main thing is they utilise smaller pieces of leftover material, no landfill so better for the environment ... and I enjoy making them!

JdotJ Fri 23-Sep-22 11:39:42

Previous years the heating would be turned on once we felt chilly
Last year instead of rushing for the thermostat I sat with a woolly hat on and it made such a difference as most of the body's heat is lost through the head.

SachaMac Fri 23-Sep-22 11:49:35

I’ve just made a Dorset apple cake and apple crumbles with a load of free apples, lots of people around here leaving fruit out to help yourself. Take advantage of any freebies.

Go shopping in the supermarket around 7pm, or find out what time they do their reductions. There are usually great bargains, loaves and bread cobs for around 30p fish, chicken, fruit and veg etc, you can freeze most of it and make soup with the reduced veg & then freeze. Also try more supermarket own brands, many are just as good and much cheaper.

Check out charity shops or car boot sales for things like candles, books, jigsaws, craft items etc. lots of people get given candles for presents and send them straight to the charity shop. I’ve picked up some really nice candles and craft items for next to nothing. You can re-donate the books & jigsaws when you have finished with them.

sazz1 Fri 23-Sep-22 11:49:58

We rang our water company as our bill seemed very high. We were being charged over £90 a month. We don't have a water meter and the Direct Debit had increased significantly over the 3yrs we've lived here. Eventually got through to a manager who told us as there are only 2 people in the house we should be paying £45 ish a month. We received a refund for the 3 years overpayment and also we're now paid up until next April
It definitely pays to check Direct Debits and query price rises.

leeds22 Fri 23-Sep-22 11:54:56

No 2 DS was a pain for turning up the heating, then going out. Now a (well off) homeowner himself, his house is like a fridge. We smuggle a fan heater into our bedroom when visiting but I think he suspects.....

HannahLoisLuke Fri 23-Sep-22 11:57:15

Vampire queen, I’ve used the pasta cooking trick and it works. Also works for potatoes, cut them into smaller chunks and leave them for half an hour before lifting the lid.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 23-Sep-22 12:11:34

sazz1

We rang our water company as our bill seemed very high. We were being charged over £90 a month. We don't have a water meter and the Direct Debit had increased significantly over the 3yrs we've lived here. Eventually got through to a manager who told us as there are only 2 people in the house we should be paying £45 ish a month. We received a refund for the 3 years overpayment and also we're now paid up until next April
It definitely pays to check Direct Debits and query price rises.

I’d advise getting a water meter. Your bills will probably halve from your “reduced” rate if £45 a month.
My monthly direct debit is £11 but there is only me and I am careful about not wasting water,

25Avalon Fri 23-Sep-22 12:12:06

Download the apps too good to go and Olio for reduced price food items from restaurants and supermarkets. You don’t get a choice but it’s all very cheap as it’s on its sell by date.

Dd discovered as you go through the Lidl check out they have decent size boxes of varied fruit and vegetables on sale for £1.50.

Also do you have a community orchard? If so you can help yourself for free to whatever’s in season. Sachamac you can pick blackberries to go with those apples. I purée and freeze apples for the winter.

Zetacatty Fri 23-Sep-22 12:13:24

I make my own laundry liquid by grating soap. Rinse with vinegar instead of fabric softener and add a cap of Zoflora to make it all smell lovely.

Theoddbird Fri 23-Sep-22 12:14:13

I only boil kettle once. Fill flask. Keeps piping hot for hours and hours. No waiting for cup of coffee either smile

Quilty Fri 23-Sep-22 12:15:13

I invested in a spin dryer last year, 2500 rpm.
Surprised how much water comes out of clothes and towels even after a 1500 rpm washing machine spin. Worth every penny.

dizzygran Fri 23-Sep-22 12:23:46

lots of tips here thank you. I use a teapot for making tea for more than 2 and find that 1 tea bag makes 2 mugs. I also fin d that putting a dishwasher tablet in the washing machine on a 40 or 60 wash cleans the drum and rubber seal

EEJit Fri 23-Sep-22 12:26:13

Urmstongran

I thought selling body parts was illegal, but if you're offering, I need one. How much you asking?

GoldenAge Fri 23-Sep-22 12:30:07

One minute we are being to told to hand sanitise every time we touch something and the next to wash clothes in cold water which doesn't deal with bacteria?? We need common sense in everything here and for me the environment takes priority. Washing our clothes less often should also feed into washing our hair less often, and using shampoos that are environmentally friendly. Some people I know wash their hair every day when they have their daily shower (again not necessary) and they use shampoo which is not only potentially carcinogenic for them but also pollutes the water chain. Cutting down on what's not necessary but being sensible when it comes to washing bed linen and using a higher temperature seems to be a sensible balance to me.

HousePlantQueen Fri 23-Sep-22 12:33:40

I agree about using less than the guideline amounts for products, especially as we have a water softener so shampoos, detergents, soaps do go further than the recommended dosage.

yogitree Fri 23-Sep-22 12:41:00

Goldenage said "they use shampoo which is not only potentially carcinogenic for them but also pollutes the water chain"

I didn't know this! Can you point me to the research please? Thanks.