Gransnet forums

Chat

Tacky memorabilia

(59 Posts)
Joseanne Mon 26-Sep-22 09:24:08

Is this the start of memorabilia after the Queen's life? I know people might want to mark the occasion, but I find the timing a bit uncomfortable. And at £249 cashing in too.

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 11:25:02

tickingbird

I heard on some news this morning g that Corgis are now selling for £6000. What is wrong with people?

Is that for a real one or the stuffed variety?

I have a set of Chance Silver Jubilee dishes given to me in 1977, still in their boxes. Now have to decide who'll inherit them ?

£7.90 each at the moment but who knows?

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 11:26:49

I'm obviously a very tacky person as see nothing wrong with it!

I think it's the purple eyes Riverwalk - scary!

Kalu Mon 26-Sep-22 11:35:17

That is shocking Fleurpepper! I would have thought those bracelets held special meaning for those who stood in the que to show their respects for the Queen.

Urmstongran Mon 26-Sep-22 11:36:13

I only just realised it was a Stieff bear.
I suppose they’d want a commemorative bear as a collector’s item. So maybe not tacky as I initially thought it was a random cuddly toy (albeit expensive). Hence the Royal Purple etc. I’d hate one but it will sell.

Kalu Mon 26-Sep-22 11:36:15

Queue!

FarNorth Mon 26-Sep-22 11:43:44

Royal Purple shock
I thought it was mourning purple.

It's gruesome , in my opinion anyway.

FarNorth Mon 26-Sep-22 11:45:52

And a mourning armband !!!

FannyCornforth Mon 26-Sep-22 11:55:48

I admit that I do rather like this one. But I’m not generally a bear fan

Grannynannywanny Mon 26-Sep-22 12:06:46

I think it’s hideous. It looks like it’s been dressed by a 5 year from leftover scraps.

FannyCornforth Mon 26-Sep-22 12:08:20

grin

FannyCornforth Mon 26-Sep-22 12:09:22

Yes, it’s sweet (imho) but not exactly regal
And £350? I would pay a tenth of that

Grannynannywanny Mon 26-Sep-22 12:20:18

I meant the Steiff teddy looks hideous Fanny. The one you posted looks rather cute although ridiculously expensive. It reminds me of Sooty, Sweep and Sue.

tickingbird Mon 26-Sep-22 14:53:19

Callistemon

Is that for a real one or the stuffed variety?

A real one although a stuffed one would be a lot less trouble! grin

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 14:58:04

Oh ?
DB and SIL had one years ago, he was lovely but yes, he could be trouble sometimes!

£6,000 ?

It would be lovely if the breed became popular again but at that price t might not be likely.

FannyCornforth Mon 26-Sep-22 16:19:33

It already is Calli
It’s the new French Bulldog, which was the new Pug.
They are expensive because it is market driven.
See also marmaduits (I can’t spell it - they are huge husky type dogs).
I noticed the breeds popularity surging in the US a couple of years ago

Callistemon21 Mon 26-Sep-22 19:10:17

See also marmaduits (I can’t spell it - they are huge husky type dogs)
Oh yes, wasn't there a thread about large, possibly dangerous dogs a while ago and they were on the list?

Some corgis can be a bit temperamental.

SueDonim Mon 26-Sep-22 19:20:30

I love your little mice, Fanny.

The queen bear - not so much! It’s rather sinister looking.

I recently unearthed a number of coins issued for Charles and Diana’s wedding. I didn’t know what to do with them so shoved them back in the box. We still have silver jubilee Matchbox (or was it a Corgi??) model bus that 2yo ds1 was given in 1977. He promptly dropped it into his full potty. grin

Chestnut Tue 27-Sep-22 09:38:39

I have a load of Royal memorabilia I really need to offload. There's quite a few Coronation mugs going back to George V in 1911 and a box full of various items including an original newspaper from the Queen's coronation.

nanna8 Tue 27-Sep-22 10:32:54

I’ve got my Mum’s silver jubilee teapot with E.R.on it. It’s quite large, cream and rather nice.

FannyCornforth Tue 27-Sep-22 10:49:51

Ooh Chestnut I’d be very interested in your coronation mugs.
If you decide to sell them please do pm me.

Sue the mice are from Not on the Highstreet. They are made by craftswomen in Peru.
There are lots and lots of different ones - they make gorgeous gifts.

Blossoming Tue 27-Sep-22 11:06:20

I have a jubilee pencil from the National Archives smile

That bear is frightening, I’d be scared to have it in the house. It’s definitely the kind that would come to life and kill you!

Grannynannywanny Tue 27-Sep-22 13:16:14

I’ve got a Coronation teapot that was passed down the line from my aunt. I feel bad it’s packed away in a box and doesn’t see the light of day. My AC have no interest in it. M I might look into selling it on eBay before I pop my clogs and save them wondering what to do with it.

FannyCornforth Tue 27-Sep-22 13:21:52

Grannynw again, please let me know if you decide to sell your tea pot ?

Grannynannywanny Tue 27-Sep-22 15:30:57

Fanny with all the recent discussions about the Royal family, Coronation ceremonies etc I decided to get out the Coronation teapot and show my grandchildren last week. I’m embarrassed to say I couldn’t find it. I know it’s packed away in the house somewhere. As my daughter used to say to me when she was younger “it’s not lost, I just can’t find it!

If I come across it I’ll send you a photo.

Jaylou Tue 27-Sep-22 15:35:14

I went round my local antique emporium last week, and wanted to find a tasteful royal trinket, there was nothing left, seems everyone had the same thought.