Gransnet forums

Chat

Tacky memorabilia

(59 Posts)
Joseanne Mon 26-Sep-22 09:24:08

Is this the start of memorabilia after the Queen's life? I know people might want to mark the occasion, but I find the timing a bit uncomfortable. And at £249 cashing in too.

crazyH Tue 27-Sep-22 15:50:04

It’s a Steiff bear - no wonder !

Grannynannywanny Tue 27-Sep-22 16:12:23

Apologies if this turns up as a duplicate post. I tried to post it 15 mins ago but it didn’t arrive. I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable ladies could satisfy my curiosity and tell me what this item is please? It used to be on display in my aunt’s china cabinet. I think it belonged to her mother in law. I have it boxed in tissue paper and came across it again last week while looking for the aforementioned Coronation teapot.

Chestnut Wed 28-Sep-22 00:26:13

Reminds me of the Carly Simon song You're So Vain.
'Well I hear you went up to Saratoga and your horse naturally won....'

If you Google 'Saratoga 1907' it does seem to relate to horse racing, so maybe send them the picture. You need to find out who George is. Maybe they engraved his name on the mug when he visited the racetrack.

Try the Saratoga National Museum of Racing for starters. If they don't recognise it then ask them if they have any idea where to try next.

Grannynannywanny Wed 28-Sep-22 01:17:17

Yes Chestnut it made me think of the Carly Simon song!

Google leads to the Saratoga race track so I’ll take your advice and email them.
There was a battle of Saratoga but that was back in the 18th century.

I can’t recall any mention of a George in that branch of the family. But it does look like it was maybe a personalised souvenir.

CanadianGran Wed 28-Sep-22 04:04:57

GrannyNanny, there is a town in New York called Saratoga Springs that was a resort town, this is most likely a souvenir from there. Look up 'red flash glass' in google and you will find similar.

Yes, I agree the teddy is in bad taste. Really.

Grannynannywanny Wed 28-Sep-22 08:49:25

Thank you CanadianGran. As Chestnut said, most mentions of Saratoga are horse racing related. However after some more digging I discovered an article about Saratoga County Fair 1907-1910. So it looks like that’s where my little glass possibly originated.

There was a link in the article to Saratoga County History Museum. So, I’ve emailed them.

Apologies everyone for derailing the thread with my Saratoga ramblings!

Ali08 Wed 28-Sep-22 13:39:22

FannyCornforth

Here are my glorious Jubilee Mice

I much prefer your Jubilee mice to these 'Steiff' bears!!

Ali08 Wed 28-Sep-22 13:41:03

I'm waiting for King Charles Spaniels to become over popular, and exorbitantly priced.