Gransnet forums

Chat

Microwaves been out of fashion?

(109 Posts)
Zoejory Tue 27-Sep-22 00:07:31

Sorry for the Daily Mail link but I've just read this article about Alice Beer discussing microwaves on This Morning.

Apparently they've been out of fashion since the 80s. Nobody uses them any more. Really?

I don't think we even had a microwave in the 80s but have one now which is used 3 or 4 times a week.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11251413/This-Morning-viewers-baffled-Alice-Beer-claims-microwaves-havent-used-1980s.html#comments

Shizam Thu 29-Sep-22 18:34:09

I bought one for the first time only a few years ago. Just a basic model. It’s so useful. I’m very slow to embrace gadgets which is my loss! ?

Theoddbird Thu 29-Sep-22 18:49:54

Not had one in probably fifteen years. That was when one I had stopped working and I decided I didn't use it enough to replace. I think they are a waste of space. Just my opinion...

grannypiper Thu 29-Sep-22 19:07:46

Does she know how many microwave meals M&S sell every week ?

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 19:55:02

grannypiper

Does she know how many microwave meals M&S sell every week ?

Microwave meals ?

Ms Beer would never lower herself to the standard of M&S ready meals!

Reggie20 Thu 29-Sep-22 20:15:35

Ah, but we are all out of date now, as the new fangled thing is - ta da da.. the air fryer!
I looked at them.. they seem ok to warm things up in or cook a couple of bits of chicken.. well, we have microwaves for that, right?
Watch for many, many airfryers in charity shops before too much longer.. ;-)

Doodledog Thu 29-Sep-22 21:21:34

'Don't mock what you haven't tried' has long been my motto.

I have an air fryer, and use that alongside a microwave, a pressure cooker a slow cooker and an oven. They all have their uses. I have been out this evening and came home to find that Mr Dog had prepared some stuffed baked potatoes, which were cooked in the microwave. I reheated mine in the air fryer to crisp up the skins and they were delicious. I made spiced cheesy lentils in the pressure cooker yesterday, and had a dollop of those, heated in the microwave whilst the potatoes cooked, as a side dish (or were the potatoes the side?). Not a ready meal in sight, and I had a nutritious meal within minutes of getting home. None of my gadgets will go to the charity shop.

(Now, the spiraliser is another matter grin)

M0nica Fri 30-Sep-22 13:10:20

All of us have different eating patterns, or rather cooking patterns and what devices we us depends on those. I use my air fryer less than I expected, mainly because I do not eat lumps of meat. I do not like chicken so never roast a chicken piece in it or anything like that, on the other hand we eat a lot of casseroles and stews, so my slow cooker is constantly in use as is my microwave. I also have a griddle on my cooker so things like sausages, bacon, tomatoes get cooked on the griddle.

We have a lot of soup, but I found a soup maker more trouble than it was use, thankfully it broke under guarantee, so I was able to get my money back.

We all do things our own way, and find what suits us. DD has a small airfryer and uses it constantly.

Doodledog Fri 30-Sep-22 17:59:04

I've never had a soup maker, although I do make a lot of soup with the aid of a sharp knife and a stick blender smile). My son has one though, and uses it a lot.