Gransnet forums

Chat

So now we know why the Queen died

(212 Posts)
Mollygo Thu 29-Sep-22 14:20:50

I’m so glad my details won’t be published.

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 13:14:58

Crying over a dance on Strictly is a manifestation of feelings that are just sentiment. I agree.

Saying that one of the most powerful women in the world had no-one to "soak up her tears and disappointment" is just pure Mills and Boon and based on your interpretations of a life and character you know nothing about, other than what "they've" decided to tell you.

Joseanne Tue 04-Oct-22 13:10:57

No more sentimental and nonsensical than crying over a dance on Strictly!! You never know when feelings can bring you tears.

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 13:08:44

But what she lacked in those final years was someone to soak up her tears and disappointment.

What? Sentimental nonsense and projection.

Joseanne Tue 04-Oct-22 13:07:00

MissAdventure

How old does anyone think she should have been when she died, then, if nobody had ever upset her?

Probably the same age she died at.
a) with longevity on her side (ie her mum)
b) with all the fantastic medical care she received

Joseanne Tue 04-Oct-22 13:04:53

Anniebach

Not hard to understand, a woman is widowed, her grandson
criticises her as a mother,threatens with his tell all book, his wife lies in public, she has Covid,her son is involved with sleaze

But the Queen doesn’t have emotions, doesn’t love, doesn’t
grieve, doesn’t worry about family.

I think I can sort of see where Anniebach is coming from in that the Queen's emotions, about her offspring, may have mounted up to such an extent that her health was affected.
It is easy to appear serene in a demanding job, and it is possible to show concern for others while underneath your own family strifes are dragging you down and causing divided loyalties. I've been there, and health can suffer so much you wish to give up. Sometimes things work out fine, sometimes they don't, but there is a cost to your personal sanity where your children are concerned.

I'm sure the Queen muttered a few things about her son and grandson under her breath, who wouldn't? But what she lacked in those final years was someone to soak up her tears and disappointment. The younger royals obviously know how fragile mental health can be, I just wish there had been more consideration for grandma in all this.

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 12:45:18

That's how it works.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Oct-22 12:40:52

How old does anyone think she should have been when she died, then, if nobody had ever upset her?

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 12:38:53

I was going to address you as wingman, but I thought better of it!! ?

Lucca Tue 04-Oct-22 12:38:20

Weird. I’m just having a break from that Scandinavian clearance thing?

Lucca Tue 04-Oct-22 12:37:04

Oh dear . Volver we’ll be accused of all sorts now because we randomly posted at same time ?

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 12:32:32

Cross post Lucca !

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 12:32:07

Anniebach

criticises her as a mother,threatens with his tell all book, his wife lies in public, she has Covid,her son is involved with sleaze

Tell you what's hard to understand.

96 year old lady dies of old age. Manages to get through the war, economic troubles in her country, the death of all her close relatives, the demise of the Empire.

Gives up the ghost because her grandson is a bit of a disappointment to the monarchists and her son is a wrong'un. ?

Lucca Tue 04-Oct-22 12:28:35

Anniebach

Shed died of old age let’s please not attribute blame for her death to specific people, seriously

Kalu Tue 04-Oct-22 12:22:15

The Queen died through lack of breath!
Quite profound and satirical in one go.

Anniebach Tue 04-Oct-22 12:11:06

Lucca Mon 03-Oct-22 14:35:08

And slightly hard to understand TBH

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 14:01:16

That's very respectful. confused

Ali08 Mon 03-Oct-22 13:59:54

I assumed our dear Queen Elizabeth died through lack of breath!
Brought on, no doubt, by missing her beloved Philip, and having to suffer the trials and tribulations of those around her.
Andrew and his shenanigans can't have helped, nor those of 'little-miss-I-need-to-be-in-the-spotlight-or-I'll-bring-out-the-racism-card'!!
She served us well, and I hope she's with her beloved Philip now and enjoying her deserved peace!!

Ali08 Mon 03-Oct-22 13:51:26

Fleurpepper

We lived in digs in London. Servants' quarters under roof of Victorian 3 storey house, very steep stairs, damp, cold and miserable and very expensive compared to salary. Then we moved to Midlands and had awful digs linked to the job- dingy, damp, again, servants' quarters at the top of 5 storey building. And then we bought our first house in nice suburbs, but had absolutely nothing to put in it. 2.5 bed semi with nice corner garden. We got all second hand bits and bobs begged and borrowed. Make furniture with pallets and own bean bags, and own bed. New baby and no washing machine! Happy days.

Your comment has confused me somewhat, did you accidentally put it in the wrong thread or did I miss something?

icanhandthemback Mon 03-Oct-22 11:57:57

lemsip

The queen would not be surprised by this thread as she had a sense of humour
but, I think it is distasteful when Harold shipman is mentioned and an insult to relatives of those he killed.
lets leave it alone.

Of course, the relatives of those HS killed might actually support the notion that "Old Age" is not used as a catch all so others won't suffer what they did. He is only mentioned because it was his deeds that led to the call not to use this term on its own not because we want to glorify him.

lemsip Mon 03-Oct-22 11:32:33

The queen would not be surprised by this thread as she had a sense of humour
but, I think it is distasteful when Harold shipman is mentioned and an insult to relatives of those he killed.
lets leave it alone.

Doodledog Mon 03-Oct-22 09:03:40

icanhandthemback

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think there is a far cry from thinking that the "old age" is unusual after Harold Shipman and "hastening her departure." I have no doubt it was natural causes and I suspect that everybody else on this thread does too from what I've seen. That is very different from wanting a more pinpointed reason.

Agreed, ICHTB. I understand why, after Shipman, a more precise cause of death might be insisted on in most cases, but I also understand that ultimately it is a private matter.

M0nica Mon 03-Oct-22 08:57:46

Yesterday I was reading a description of the death of the first Duke of Wellington, he who won the battle of Waterloo.

The circumstances were almost identical to those of the Queens, he had been fading slowly, as she was. He had a normal day, went to bed and in the morning it was clear that he had suddenly gone down hill overnight and that the end was near. The only member of the family present when he died, was a son, who was staying with him. No one else could get there in time.

Sounds very like what happened at Balmoral.

Polly7 Sun 02-Oct-22 16:58:53

Whatever the reason we aren’t to know bless. I guess she had had candula thing on hand ( the one for drips etc) as her frail hand is badly bruised as she shakes the PM hand. Guessing she was having tests

SueDonim Sun 02-Oct-22 14:07:17

Thank you for your thoughts. As I say, I didn’t know him well but am fond of his wife, who doesn’t keep good health. People will rally round to help, I’m certain.