Gransnet forums

Chat

So now we know why the Queen died

(211 Posts)
Mollygo Thu 29-Sep-22 14:20:50

I’m so glad my details won’t be published.

Blossoming Thu 29-Sep-22 14:22:37

I don’t understand this thread.

Mollygo Thu 29-Sep-22 14:26:48

The National Records of Scotland published the certificate today.
Queen Elizabeth II died of old age, her death certificate has revealed.
Just in case anyone wondered.

TerriBull Thu 29-Sep-22 14:38:50

Really vague and non specific, reminds me of a 19th century death certificate I have for a long deceased ancestor where the cause of death is stated as "natural decay" this sounds much the same only somewhat more diplomatic.

merlotgran Thu 29-Sep-22 14:48:53

Well, something hastened her demise and it's normally mentioned, e.g., pneumonia, stroke, heart attack etc.

There was a last minute panic to get her close relatives there so 'old age' sounds like the kind of thing you tell a grandchild when the beloved old family dog has just died.

Casdon Thu 29-Sep-22 14:53:49

She was 96, old age is probably the best all encompassing description for anybody who dies at that age. Anybody who lives to 96 has exceeded the average lifespan by at least 15 years anyway, so what does it really matter?

AGAA4 Thu 29-Sep-22 14:59:52

It is probably best to give a general reason for her death. It avoids speculation.

Fleurpepper Thu 29-Sep-22 15:01:43

Just the opposite, I think. Why are they being so vague? As Merlot says, the final cause is usually mentionned-

DaisyAnne Thu 29-Sep-22 15:02:57

My mother's death certificate said she had died of "Old age and frailty". At ninety-nine and a quarter, and with covid in the country (February 2020) it was very comforting.

Casdon Thu 29-Sep-22 15:04:03

Why do you care though Fleurpepper, it makes no difference to anything? .

rosie1959 Thu 29-Sep-22 15:05:44

Can't see that it's of any concern to anyone outside her family

Fleurpepper Thu 29-Sep-22 15:06:17

We lived in digs in London. Servants' quarters under roof of Victorian 3 storey house, very steep stairs, damp, cold and miserable and very expensive compared to salary. Then we moved to Midlands and had awful digs linked to the job- dingy, damp, again, servants' quarters at the top of 5 storey building. And then we bought our first house in nice suburbs, but had absolutely nothing to put in it. 2.5 bed semi with nice corner garden. We got all second hand bits and bobs begged and borrowed. Make furniture with pallets and own bean bags, and own bed. New baby and no washing machine! Happy days.

lemsip Thu 29-Sep-22 15:07:41

whatever else she may or may not have had old age killed her!

if she had anything else of a serious nature she could have lived on with it had she not been 96!

Fleurpepper Thu 29-Sep-22 15:14:58

Casdon

I don't 'care'- just find it interesting.

Apologies for rhe above post, posted in wrong thread.

LtEve Thu 29-Sep-22 15:17:07

My Father in law, who died this year aged 94, had old age on his death certificate.

Norah Thu 29-Sep-22 15:17:58

rosie1959

Can't see that it's of any concern to anyone outside her family

Her passing at 96, while sad, has no impact to me.

NotAGran55 Thu 29-Sep-22 15:20:49

Unless she had a post-mortem they wouldn’t be able to be specific surely?

merlotgran Thu 29-Sep-22 15:22:38

Casdon

No it doesn’t and I wasn’t expecting to be told anything at all but ‘old age’ is a tad condescending.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 29-Sep-22 16:14:11

Given that she was performing an important State duty just two days before she died, I don’t buy the ‘old age’ reason. Same reason was given for Prince Philip’s death. Both obviously had medical conditions which had necessitated hospital stays, and in the Queen’s case inhibited mobility, However, not our business.

Zoejory Thu 29-Sep-22 16:17:27

NotAGran55

Exactly! Working in registration I've seen umpteen death certificates with Old Age as cause. My mother had this on hers. Very normal

Grandma70s Thu 29-Sep-22 16:24:45

I don’t know what was on my father’s death certificate, but he died at 94 of old age. He wasn’t ill. He just died.

Fleurpepper Thu 29-Sep-22 16:27:59

NotAGran55

If she had been treated for a or some specific conditions in the recent past, her medical team would know. And if she had a heart attack or a CVA, they would know too.

None of our business, as said above- but why would they want to hide it?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 29-Sep-22 16:29:11

She was under the care of doctors who would not need a post-mortem in order to certify cause of death. Neither of my parents had post-mortems; the doctors knew, and certified, the exact causes of death.

biglouis Thu 29-Sep-22 16:55:46

Rather ironic that Dr Harold Shipman (who is believed to have killed over 200 people) often put "old age" on the death certificates of his patients. In most cases they were people much younger than the queen with most of them leading active lives. Yet the verdict "old age" was never questioned until the alarm was raised and his activities became public knowledge. When you think that if someone dies age 96 their heart has been beating for all that time. Organs do, in time, wear out!

Pittcity Thu 29-Sep-22 16:57:46

My MIL died of Alzheimer's. Her death certificate said Old Age as she was 94.
We wondered if it was to massage figures.