Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you lock your doors in daytime ?

(161 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Thu 29-Sep-22 18:22:58

Our front door automatically locks when we come in, we have side gate that is always locked and bolted top and bottom but I never lock back kitchen door, Anyone else?

Galaxy Sun 02-Oct-22 21:36:40

Because people have different views. I have never in my whole life locked my house when I am in it.

nannypiano Sun 02-Oct-22 22:28:12

The previous owners of my house moved to a new house that had be to be locked with a key, whereas they had been used to a yale lock, that was locked when closed. The week they moved in they went out and bought a new large tv and because they forgot to lock the front door, they woke up next morning to find their new tv was gone. Someone must have been checking front doors and they struck lucky. But it taught me to keep my door locked when I changed to a similar new door.

nanna8 Mon 03-Oct-22 00:46:49

I have a sign at the front saying that knocking or ringing the bell at this house is illegal ( got it from a local politician and it looks very official) Works a treat. We haven’t had anyone except invited guests or postmen knock for many years now.

Kartush Mon 03-Oct-22 05:30:26

I lock my front screen door when I am alone in the house and am in another part of the house.
I always know if someone is coming to the door as my husband has alarmed our front gate but he likes me to lock the door if I am alone.
Our back door is never locked

Sparklefizz Mon 03-Oct-22 12:52:16

It's noticeable on this thread that the police have told some of us to keep our doors locked, and that those of us who have family connections with the police (I am one) are people who lock our doors.

Those who rather smugly say they don't bother to lock their doors are ignoring police advice and invalidating their insurance.

I can't understand the benefits of not locking.

M0nica Mon 03-Oct-22 17:45:20

Sparklefizz Not many people have said they never lock their doors, and few have said they leave their doors unlocked when they leave the house. Few leave their front doors unlocked Mostly it is a question of whether you leave back doors unlocked when in the house or garden.

Having had three magnificent sets of French doors installed last year, they have been open most of the time this summer, but we have a secure back garden and always lock them if we leave the house.

Your insurance is only invalid if you leave the house empty when doors are unlocked. If you are on the premises or in the garden your insurance is valid, whether the back doors are open or shut and locked.

Magrithea Thu 06-Oct-22 10:22:00

I do if 'home alone' but we've been known to go to bed with doors unlocked/open and all has been fine!

nanna8 Fri 07-Oct-22 06:17:52

Not smug at all- it's just where we live is different. Low population density and any potential burglar would take quite a while to get out of our one way streets- so up to now, since they were built in the 1980s, no one has bothered. Could change,though, I realise that.

nanna8 Fri 07-Oct-22 06:18:50

Downside is the postal delivery is once or twice a week at best!

kittylester Fri 07-Oct-22 07:52:35

In defence of 'Nottingham Knockers' - we have had the same chap for years. I always buy something he is very grateful and we have never been burgled.