Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you like 'a hearty stew'?

(174 Posts)
kittylester Tue 04-Oct-22 12:49:49

I follow a few cooking sites and, this morning, a recipe for 'a hearty stew' appeared in my inbox.

My heart sank. Not sure whether it is a throw back to school dinners, my mum's cooking or what.

I do sausage casserole, braised steak, coq au vin etc etc but the thought of hearty stews really depress me.

Anyone else?

3dognight Tue 04-Oct-22 17:25:33

My Schwartz beef casserole smells divine, cooking away in the slow cooker, just added half a glass of red wine and a handful off runner beans.
Mmm…

JaneJudge Tue 04-Oct-22 17:44:33

Love Beef Stew, Chicken Chasseur, Sausage Casserole, Mince and tatties smile

Alioop Tue 04-Oct-22 17:48:09

Oh I love steak pieces, carrots, onions and spuds cooked in the slow cooker in thick gravy for hours. The dog roams around the kitchen like the Bisto kid grin

cowshindtail Tue 04-Oct-22 17:56:12

I make stews all through the winter.I just put the ingredients together in the morning and leave it simmering away until night time on my wood burning stove.Venison is probably my favourite as I pick up roadkill ones and butcher them myself.

JaneJudge Tue 04-Oct-22 17:58:18

I wish people would pick them up here, it's awful seeing them dead at the side of the road (and such a waste)

Yammy Tue 04-Oct-22 18:04:36

Sago

Love, my favourite is venison in red wine.
Just delicious.

I like Venison haunch casserole with herb dumplings ala the late John Tovey made with half a bottle of port. Local venison is delicious not the rubbish we got at school, Tattie Pot, Lancashire hot pot it was a Eureka moment if you found any meat among the grizzled and fat.

henetha Tue 04-Oct-22 18:14:58

I make lots of stews and casseroles in the winter, hearty would describe them I suppose. Dumplings are essential... yum yum. If meat gets too expensive I'm quite ok with just lots of vegetables. And mostly use my slow cooker.

Blondiescot Tue 04-Oct-22 18:18:06

It's also stovie season too! A good hearty plate of stovies will help keep us all warm.

Esmay Tue 04-Oct-22 18:35:00

Beef isn't my first choice , though I do enjoy a steak and a good hamburger !

A lamb casserole is my idea of a real winter warmer as soon as the cold weather begins .
I ate lamb stew as a child and it , after a roast was my favourite .
My grandma added carrots , onions and potatoes - a simple unchanging dish .

I do too , but sometimes other vegetables as well and maybe a sprig of rosemary .

Dumplings make a change from potatoes .
I also love a tagine adding dried apricots and couscous .

Not to mention a nice simple curry !

Nannagarra Tue 04-Oct-22 19:01:44

Callistemon21

We know .....

I thought this was in response to me thanking you and telling you you’re much appreciated…
(I’m pulling your leg here.)

Who’s going to post a recipe for stovies? I’m poised, ready and waiting.

Urmstongran Tue 04-Oct-22 19:11:36

Sorry everyone my joke was in poor taste. I’ve been out Calli attending a children’s party but I’ve asked for my posts to be deleted now.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 19:14:50

Urmstongran

Sorry everyone my joke was in poor taste. I’ve been out Calli attending a children’s party but I’ve asked for my posts to be deleted now.

Oh thanks Urmstongran ?
I'm not normally squeamish but I'll be avoiding stew in future!!

Blondiescot Tue 04-Oct-22 19:19:24

Nannagarra

Callistemon21

We know .....

I thought this was in response to me thanking you and telling you you’re much appreciated…
(I’m pulling your leg here.)

Who’s going to post a recipe for stovies? I’m poised, ready and waiting.

When it comes to stovies, I always say you could ask 100 people how they make theirs and get 100 different answers! My mum only ever made stovies when she had a bit leftover from a roast, so this recipe is very similar to what she made: scottishscran.com/how-to-make-stovies-recipe/
My husband is the stovie maker in our house and he prefers to make his with sausages.

Urmstongran Tue 04-Oct-22 19:19:33

No probs. ?

FlexibleFriend Tue 04-Oct-22 19:20:30

My Dad used to make the most amazing stew and fluffy dumplings, never tasted anything like it since. I don't cook them because I'm never as cold and hungry as I was as a kid and I prefer to use the slow cooker or oven. Miss you Dad x.

madeleine45 Tue 04-Oct-22 19:24:17

I think that shin beef makes a lovely casserole and great gravy. It was something I used to make in the pressure cooker , when we were sailing. Saved on fuel, very safe if it fell, no burns or problems. Not into dumplings but love lots of different vegetables , always onions of course and so used to have some gravy over and this was frozen so that when I had some mince to make up, again with lots of vegetables ,the gravy added good flavour to it. Hope there will not be a shortage of onions as most of my savoury cooking starts with onions in some form.!

Witzend Tue 04-Oct-22 19:33:01

I’ve made one for tonight - lamb (lean only), onions, carrots, turnip, potatoes, peas. No dumplings alas but if I had any suet I’d def. add some.

Witzend Tue 04-Oct-22 19:33:44

Forgot the pearl barley - essential in a lamb stew in this house.

MrsKen33 Tue 04-Oct-22 19:41:30

Oh yes Witzend pearl barley, essential

Iam64 Tue 04-Oct-22 19:52:06

Nothing more delicious than a tasty, hearty stew. I do lots of veg stews/casseroles. Lamb tagine or Lancashire hot pot type one pots are beyond good.
Add a but if chilled yum

Urmstongran Tue 04-Oct-22 19:54:17

Aw, that was a sweet post FlexibleFriend. ?

Kalu Tue 04-Oct-22 21:12:32

There is nothing like a delicious casserole during winter.
Beef casserole is probably the main one with various veg.added, instead of onion for a change, I add a fennel bulb cut in half. Two other ingredients I add are, a tsp Demerara sugar to caramelise thé stock and a ginger snap biscuit which completely dissolves to thicken the stock nicely

My all time favourite casserole is boeuf/sanglier en daube, beef or wild boar casserole, a traditional Provençal winter food.
It is diiiiivine! The problem is I don’t know any boar hunters in Scotland, plenty venison though. ?

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 21:18:20

Thanks Urms ?

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 21:19:00

Callistemon21

Thanks Urms ?

Ps we've been watching The Yorkshire Vet ?

MissAdventure Tue 04-Oct-22 21:28:28

Oh me too! shock
I didn't have the sound up, so I wasn't sure what that thing was that came out.