Gransnet forums

Chat

Chocolates in tin cans are very hard to come by?

(26 Posts)
infoman Fri 11-Nov-22 16:43:59

but John Lewis has bucked the trend,but it could/will cost you.
Quality street with a nine letter name put on the tin costs
17 pounds.
With all the same chocolates in them if you want.

If you can get the tin back,you get a ten pound credit on next years tin of chocolates.
OR
for a cost of 14 pounds you can still have all the same chocolates and get a ten pound credit off next years tin of chocolates.
The orrible plastic tubs cost apprx 4-5 pounds in most supermarkets,the choice is yours.
Not sure if John Lewis done something similar pre-covid, but I can't remember.

crazyH Fri 11-Nov-22 16:53:43

Now I know why you call yourself infoman
Thanks for the info . There’s no John Lewis near me, so no dilemma for me .

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 17:04:16

17 quid, blimey!

midgey Fri 11-Nov-22 17:35:58

I bought a tin of Roses in Tesco the other. I noticed my daughter had too probably from Sainsburys. The tin is bigger than the plastic one.

kittylester Fri 11-Nov-22 17:55:09

They did it last year I think. We bought some for 'business' acquaintances.

Galaxy Fri 11-Nov-22 18:22:42

I will probably get the two for 7 in asda grin

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 18:31:04

What is the weight of the chocolates in either?

To be honest, I'd rather pay more and use the tin after.

Galaxy Fri 11-Nov-22 18:34:12

I dont need a tin that badly.

midgey Fri 11-Nov-22 18:58:57

Can’t remember the weights but the tin is definitely bigger. ( Had to hide the tin!)

Grammaretto Fri 11-Nov-22 19:33:33

I have empty tins. How much shall I sell them for?grin

Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 19:41:18

Galaxy

I dont need a tin that badly.

LOL you are right- so I won't be buying any at all and stick to real chocolate. I have a few old tins from the past where I keep cottons, wool, buttons and pins, etc.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Nov-22 19:48:51

we are just going to put some mars bars in the fridge to slice with a knife maybe on Boxing day

midgey Fri 11-Nov-22 20:29:39

JaneJudge have you tried melted mars bar over ice cream? It is quite tasty!

JaneJudge Fri 11-Nov-22 20:32:06

oh midgey, don't encourage me grin

paddyann54 Fri 11-Nov-22 21:24:10

I got tins last year online,made in Ireland .The chocolate is much more like the original and the tin is more than twice the size of the plastic boxes

Mizuna Fri 11-Nov-22 21:34:53

My daughter has bought one from John Lewis. Contents weigh nearly 1200 grams. It's a choice of three or more types of chocolates, so you can't just fill the tin with the lovely purple one! 😁

maddyone Fri 11-Nov-22 22:27:16

I’ll be in New Zealand for Christmas, so no tins or otherwise for us this year. We’re doing a ‘Christmas’ lunch for our two sons and families the Sunday before we go. In New Zealand at our daughter’s I believe it’ll be barbecue and pavlova. And no, we’re not staying with our darling daughter (much as we love her,) we like our own space so staying nearby. We might take some Lindt Lindors with us though because the grandchildren love them and they’re difficult to get there. We have to post them out regularly.

OnwardandUpward Fri 11-Nov-22 23:06:21

We like Bendicks after dinner mints (the strong and crunchy ones) and a small box of chocolates with a good strong flavour from a shop such as Hotel Chocolat for later on.

I dislike Quality Street, so haven't bought them since even my kids admitted they were sickly sweet.

nanna8 Sat 12-Nov-22 10:40:16

Around this time of year you can get tins with chocolates in at the supermarkets and K mart. Probably Aldi has them, too, but I haven’t looked. Half the aisles seem to have Christmas things now and I weakened and bought yet more Christmas lights.

Grantanow Sat 12-Nov-22 12:28:28

It's not just choc biscuits. What has happened to the supply of Bath Oliver's? None to be had anywhere for the last few months.

infoman Tue 22-Nov-22 04:51:16

www.mirror.co.uk/money/quality-street-made-major-change-28546672

Hetty58 Tue 22-Nov-22 05:13:17

paddyann54, when our four kids were small, they played out with a local Irish four-child family. Their mother had left so dad was bringing them up. Every Christmas he'd bring us a huge tin of chocs - so we bought one for them. One day the (tiny) youngest suddenly said 'Am I allowed a sweet?' - well yes of course she was. Then, oddly, 'I know what they taste like now!'. I already knew that they strictly weren't allowed a snack (or even a drink, except water) after school, before dinner. But this was Boxing day afternoon. It turned out that the chocolates at their house were displayed in a large glass bowl - for adults only!

Wyllow3 Tue 22-Nov-22 05:34:11

Grammaretto

I have empty tins. How much shall I sell them for?grin

Hang onto them a while. They may become "collectables".

Hetty58 Tue 22-Nov-22 05:50:44

My collection of tins just went rusty!

Witzend Tue 22-Nov-22 19:11:24

Talking of tins, I always buy one of those big tins of M&S shortbread - I don’t even really like shortbread but dh does - largely for the tin. One of them just holds very nicely a dozen fairy cakes (Gdcs’ birthday parties) or a big batch of my very very cheesy cheese straws, which are often requested for family get-togethers. (For those I line the tin with a white linen napkin).
They also fit exactly a one and a half times batch of sticky gingerbread, from my ancient Hamlyn/Mary Berry cook book. There’s a photo of a very young MB at the front - the book dates from 1970!