Gransnet forums

Chat

Reunions - school, college, university, work etc - do you go?

(40 Posts)
kittylester Wed 23-Nov-22 19:21:02

And if you go, do you enjoy?

It is DH's University Christmas Reunion as we speak. DH never wants to go and I am happy to go along with that!

We see the people from his year that we want to see and only one couple from our little gang go to the Christmas Dinner

The long suffering wife of that couple has just messaged and asked me to rescue her. Quite how as I'm in Leicestershire and they are in South Wales.

I suspect i asked this last year too but - do you go to reunions and do you enjoy them?

timetogo2016 Wed 23-Nov-22 19:48:47

Never,the past should stay in the past.

Grandma70s Wed 23-Nov-22 20:15:39

I went to a school one once, when we were all about 50. It was interesting to see how people had turned out. Most were much as I expected, but one ‘girl’ (we were
all girls) who had been very lively and vivacious seemed subdued and quiet. We all compared notes and showed photos of our families.

I thought quite a few would be divorced, but in fact only one was.

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Nov-22 20:56:47

No, never have been, but one of my best friends used to work for the IT company I had my longest time with and another v good friend for my second longest job.

ginny Wed 23-Nov-22 21:16:32

It would be one of my worst nightmares.

Grannybags Wed 23-Nov-22 21:19:52

No. I hated every minute of my school life from age 5 till I left

MerylStreep Wed 23-Nov-22 21:31:06

Grannybags

No. I hated every minute of my school life from age 5 till I left

Just what I was going to say.

AreWeThereYet Wed 23-Nov-22 21:44:44

I didn't go to any school for longer than 3 or 4 years at most. So no real connections to any of them, sadly. I have been invited to Uni reunions but don't go to those.

Grandma70s Wed 23-Nov-22 21:53:06

I was at the same school for twelve years! Junior and Senior. I quite liked it, which is just as well. It is so sad to read of people hating every minute of school. I wonder why that was?

Callistemon21 Wed 23-Nov-22 21:59:51

I think it's more of a man thing.
Not saying that to be misandric but i think it happens more with male groups, especially those who were in the Forces. Old comrades.

I did go to a school reunion once which was very interesting.
The friends who were the closest I'm still in touch with now.

College reunion - no.

LucyLocket55 Wed 23-Nov-22 22:12:09

No, never, I hated my senior boarding school.

paddyann54 Wed 23-Nov-22 22:22:47

NO,I see alott of them daily in the town and am on FB with the ones who moved abroad ,to South Africa ,Australia and Europe

kittylester Wed 23-Nov-22 22:33:24

I hated my grammar school and my early work places.

But, I am still really good friends with people from my volunteering roles. Even though we have all moved on.

Redhead56 Wed 23-Nov-22 22:34:17

I went to my university reunion but the people I studied with didn't attend so it was rather boring. I wouldn't bother going again.
My DH has had a few school reunions and we have enjoyed them.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Nov-22 22:36:13

Certainly not! We may have been 'friends' at the time (making the best of having to keep company) - but I didn't keep in touch - so do take the hint!

LOUISA1523 Wed 23-Nov-22 22:42:32

Never ever ever....and I enjoyed school and most places I've worked....it just seems like a thing that 'saddos' with no friends or social life do....I don't know anyone in real life who's ever been to a reunion

AussieGran59 Wed 23-Nov-22 23:29:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cornergran Wed 23-Nov-22 23:29:25

Oh goodness, no.

CanadianGran Thu 24-Nov-22 00:01:31

I haven't kept in touch with school friends, plus I live on the opposite side of the country now, so no, I haven't.

DH has had several reunions, and we have gone to all of them and really had a lot of fun. I have known all his friends since the age of 21, so feel more close to them than any friends I may have had as a teen.

I think because this is a northern, isolated town, everyone knows everyone else, so it is great fun when people come 'home' for a weekend.

icanhandthemback Thu 24-Nov-22 00:05:10

Yes I go. I was at a state school which had a Boarding House attached and the Boarders in our year started meeting up as a Reunion about 12 years ago. We've met nearly annually since. Although it had been nearly 40 years since I had last seen them, the years fell away and it was like time had never passed. It was wonderful. Over the years some of the group have fallen by the wayside at the gatherings but all but one keep in touch.

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Nov-22 00:27:19

No.
I honestly can only think of two people I'd be interested in finding out what they are doing.
But I wouldn't bother to go anywhere to find out... 🤣

biglouis Thu 24-Nov-22 00:29:27

Ive been to a couple of Uni re-unions and it was interesting to see how people had moved on. Most of the people I graduated with were much younger (I was a mature student) and had gone into social work, administrative or management roles or were now married with young children. I was the only one who stayed in academia and subsequently went on to start a business. It was also nice to meet my old professor/P.hd. supervisor who only retired in 2017 and lives about 10 minutes drive from me.

crazyH Thu 24-Nov-22 00:40:15

Most of my school and university pals are spread across the globe, but we keep in touch . A few have come over here to spend some time with me. Since my divorce, I have lost the urge to travel. But I love having friends come over for a short stay.

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Nov-22 00:41:33

biglouis, I have kept in touch with two lecturers independently. One is definitely an oracle in the discipline (even now). The other is still a really interesting person and we call each other occasionally and send emails and links of interest. It's nice to stay in touch with these two. My husband stays in touch with a few former academic colleagues but other than a single Christmas card (to one couple we were friends with at university) we don't keep in touch with any ex-student friends.

I suppose we both made our friendships off-campus mainly.

eazybee Thu 24-Nov-22 10:05:27

I have been to several college and youth club reunions, and enjoyed them. It is remembering the past, that is places, people and events, with affection and amusement, learning that some of your recollections are completely wrong, and meeting people to whom you gave a wide berth and realising actually what charming people they are, and were.
Then there are the photographs!