Gransnet forums

Chat

Come me fly with me! ✈️ A whole new career opportunity?

(61 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Thu 24-Nov-22 07:51:54

EMPTY-NESTERS are being urged to consider a second career as cabin crew, as airlines try to shrug off the notion that the career is only for young jet-setters
The budget airline easyJet has begun a recruitment drive for over-45s “to show that a career as cabin crew is open to anyone with the right skills, regardless of age”.
It is particularly targeting people whose children have left home or who are looking for a new career later in life, after research from the airline suggested that more than three quarters of empty-nesters were seeking a new challenge.
So - what are we waiting for? gringrin ✈️

Grandmadinosaur Thu 24-Nov-22 07:53:45

Wow! That’s what I wanted to do when I was a little girl. I don’t think I’d get the job I can’t teach the overhead lockers 🤣

Grandmadinosaur Thu 24-Nov-22 07:54:00

Reach *

AussieGran59 Thu 24-Nov-22 08:15:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

downtoearth Thu 24-Nov-22 08:16:06

I could push the cart thingy up and down the aisle it will help me walk in the heels and hold me upright,I wouldnt need my stick,although it would come in handy for pushing things in overhead lockers,and pointing out the exits,my opportunities are endless how do I apply

Visgir1 Thu 24-Nov-22 08:41:39

I had a work chum, who went on to be cabin crew in her late 40 's she said there was a couple on her course in thier 50' s, that was about 15 yrs ago.
She was with BA and I believe she's still flying.
Give it a go!

Calendargirl Thu 24-Nov-22 08:55:17

In my ‘Bunty’ comic when I was young, one of the stories was ‘Lyn Raymond, Air Stewardess’.

How glamorous it looked! The uniform, the lipstick, the exotic Mediterranean stop offs ( at 6 years old, I had no idea where the Med was, but it didn’t look like Skegness or Blackpool!)

Not so glam nowadays, that was the 50’s when flying was glam.

✈️

Millie22 Thu 24-Nov-22 08:56:30

Hmm no as

I wouldn't be able to reach the overhead lockers.
I'd probably spill the drinks.
I might find it very hard to be polite to rude people!!
And I don't like travelling unless on holiday.

Mizuna Thu 24-Nov-22 08:58:06

I'm wondering if the aisle would be wide enough for my crutches as I shimmied back and forth. gringrin

henetha Thu 24-Nov-22 09:20:10

Could I be allowed a nap now and then? 😁

kittylester Thu 24-Nov-22 09:28:05

I failed the interview years ago - not glamorous enough, I suspect.

Of course I am much more glamorous now so should get in easily.

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Nov-22 09:52:48

henetha and kittylester
gringringringringrin

Callistemon21 Thu 24-Nov-22 09:55:28

😂😂😂

My bum would knock the drinks over.

Can we train as pilots please?

Callistemon21 Thu 24-Nov-22 09:55:56

henetha

Could I be allowed a nap now and then? 😁

Yes, it's allowed on long-haul 🙂

Lucca Thu 24-Nov-22 09:57:54

Calendargirl

In my ‘Bunty’ comic when I was young, one of the stories was ‘Lyn Raymond, Air Stewardess’.

How glamorous it looked! The uniform, the lipstick, the exotic Mediterranean stop offs ( at 6 years old, I had no idea where the Med was, but it didn’t look like Skegness or Blackpool!)

Not so glam nowadays, that was the 50’s when flying was glam.

✈️

There was little career book called Air Hostess Anne…. I thought it was so glam but I’d have been hopeless when young (too untidy)

henetha Thu 24-Nov-22 09:59:13

What good news then! Thanks for the info*Calistemon*.
I'll apply immediately .. or perhaps next week will do...confused

henetha Thu 24-Nov-22 10:00:12

Callistemon21 perhaps it will work this time...

Callistemon21 Thu 24-Nov-22 10:02:33

Someone we knew was cabin crew. She was tall and beautiful and only worked in First Class.

grannyrebel7 Thu 24-Nov-22 10:04:38

I have never wanted to be a trolley dolly thank you very much smile and especially not now in my 6th decade!

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Nov-22 11:01:18

My parents had a friend who was chief purser years ago with BOAC. He was quite a "glamorous" man and very witty. He sometimes "popped in" on his way to New York or Dubai or wherever and brought us Elizabeth Arden soaps, hand creams and other treats "left over" from 1st class.
I stayed in his London flat a couple of times and it was swish and fabulously decorated.
I adored him.

nanna8 Thu 24-Nov-22 11:25:38

Two of our neighbour’s daughters were hostesses for a while. They both gave it up after a few years. One became a teacher, the other a banker. That job would be my worst nightmare, can’t stand flying.

PaperMonster Thu 24-Nov-22 11:26:52

My friend was mid 40s when she gave up being BA cabin crew so that she could be there for her children!

Scottishgogo Thu 24-Nov-22 11:34:15

Me too. I wanted to be an Air Hostess when I was little. Unfortunately, life overtook me. However, I now have over 30 years in the Hospitality industry and the last 13 years in the Care industry.

Am I qualified? First Aid and waiting skills up to date.

Spinnaker Thu 24-Nov-22 11:47:10

Remember Mrs Overall played by Julie Walters in the Victoria Wood sketches - that would be me grin

MissAdventure Thu 24-Nov-22 12:10:11

Its never struck me as a great job.
It's very crowded trying to get that trolley down the middle aisle.