Gransnet forums

Chat

I am NOT expecting many to get back to me BUT...........

(100 Posts)
Maywalk Mon 28-Nov-22 14:59:56

What would you buy for a lifelong friend who will be 100 years old on the 3rd of December.

I have a present for her already but I wont tell you yet what I have got her because I am just curious to find out what others would think of getting her to celebrate her centenary.

I did not want to get her flowers or any ornaments because I expect others will get that sort of present.

She was a very talented woman and an ex Land Army Girl. Unfortunately age has now stopped her doing her wonderful paintings and craft work but she can still read.

She lives on her own although her daughter goes twice a day to make sure she takes the right dose of medication.

She has just received a birthday card signed by both from the King and his wife with a lovely photo of King Charles and Camilla the Queen Consort on the front of it.

My lovely friend must be one of THE first to receive something like this before the King is crowned.

I feel honoured to have had my friend aboard my train of life.

pascal30 Mon 28-Nov-22 17:01:19

How about a ghost writer to write down her memories to be made into a book to hand down to her family... how I regret not talking enough to my own parents...

Maywalk Mon 28-Nov-22 17:14:30

grannydarkhair

Maywalk I hope your dear chum gets lots of enjoyment from reading her gift.
Also, you said in your op that she is a “lifelong friend”. I’m just being really nosy now but are you coming up for 100 yourself?

Many thanks grannydarkhair.

I am 92 and my hobbies are entirely different to my friend.

I learnt about computers when I was around 70 years old and I got a WW2 website together that lasted for many years.
My friend has her story on it too.
It made me many cyber friends worldwide and kept me busy with folks asking me questions of that time.

That was when I decided, after my son gave me a ticking off one day when he came to visit while I was recuperating from a broken right hip and a broken left arm after a fall, to write about the first 20 years of my life that takes in being cruelly treated in a Sisters-of- Mercy home and then being machine gunned in the hop- fields, apart from being bombed out twice during the war and then evacuated.

The chap who printed it for me asked me if he could read it as he printed it and from that he brought attention to it by contacting my local paper.
He asked me if he could print one or two copies to see if they sold.
I said YES BUT any profits after taking the printing costs were taken out were to go to my local Children's Hospice.

From then on it was all go and I am more than pleased to say that from any books I have had printed all proceeds after printing costs are taken out have all gone to charity and it has made a 4 figure sum.

I have to say here that I am NOT what one could call an author because all my tales and poems are true stories and that includes those of animals.

Blondiescot Mon 28-Nov-22 17:23:01

What a lovely friend you are, Maywalk, and your gift is exactly what I would have suggested too. In fact, I've given similar gifts to friends in the past (none celebrating such a milestone though!) and they've always been very well received. Your book sounds fascinating, by the way - and you most certainly are an author!

LRavenscroft Mon 28-Nov-22 17:24:50

Probably a really gorgeous pashmina in her favourite colours. We got this for my mum's 90th and she loved it.

Grammaretto Mon 28-Nov-22 17:50:04

My MiL is going to be 98 next birthday. She already has Alexa and uses it quite a bit
She has favourite TV and radio programmes .
But I think it has to be a one-off present.
The tree sounds perfect.

Chardy Mon 28-Nov-22 18:00:08

Not a gift for the day, but a photo book of the friends and neighbours who visit her on the day/week of her birthday, including some of the flowers she's bound to get and the cards she'll receive

Nezumi65 Mon 28-Nov-22 18:00:48

That’s a lovely gift Maywalk.

I’m surprised you had snarky comments about your age - that seems very mean. I suspect I am one of the younger ones on here. In real life I love talking to people in their 90’s plus - so many interesting stories.

BlueBelle Mon 28-Nov-22 18:14:44

Well I m not given any more ideas as you are storted Maybe but I ve no idea who was ageist towards you on here but they should be ashamed of themselves How wonderful to get to your age and still be posting 👏👏👏👏

SuzieHi Mon 28-Nov-22 19:03:50

I would have made her a photo book of her family and notable images from her life. Photos are hard to beat as most people like to reminisce- long term memory better than short term as you get older !

Maywalk Mon 28-Nov-22 19:14:51

SuzieHi

I would have made her a photo book of her family and notable images from her life. Photos are hard to beat as most people like to reminisce- long term memory better than short term as you get older !

Her family have already done one for her SuzieHi .

grannypiper Mon 28-Nov-22 19:28:33

A trip out for afternoon tea or if she is housebound ask the local choir if they would like to sing happy birthday or some carols to her.

Maywalk Mon 28-Nov-22 19:32:28

Her grandson takes her out every Sunday for a late breakfast and her daughter takes her out twice a week.
She is blessed with a lovely family.

JaneJudge Mon 28-Nov-22 19:34:54

Betty's have some lovely hampers

Happy birthday to your friend and how very special to have reached 100 years old and get a card from the new King and Queen

Jaylou Mon 28-Nov-22 19:38:36

Find the oldest photo you have of the two of you together and put it in a nice frame, together with some of the other nice suggestions already made.

grannydarkhair Tue 29-Nov-22 03:00:36

Maywalk You maybe don’t think of yourself as an author but you are definitely a writer, and what a fascinating way to raise funds for your local Children’s Hospice.
Is the WW2 website still online? From the safety of my sofa, I love reading about the lives of people who lived through those times.
And as others have said, shame on those who were less than nice to you on here. I’m only 68 so still a young one compared to many regular contributors, and would never assume that what I had to say was more important or better than anyone else.

Maywalk Tue 29-Nov-22 15:22:15

Many thanks grannydarkhair.

I will PM you with the pointer to the website because it is still there.
Its been on the net now for around 20 years and I had many coming to it including students who sent me some lovely e-mails thanking me for it because it helped them with any exams.
Unfortunately about 12 years ago the net went down over many areas and it wiped a lot of the replies off although the site is still there.
When those from different countries found out about the book I had written the person who put my website together asked me if she could add the book for anyone living abroad. You will find it to read in my poetry section if you are interested titled "Yesterdays Child ".
I was looking after my hubby then who had started with Dementia so I neglected the website because he was more important to me.
Remember though, if you read the book, that another 18 years have to be added since it was written.
Best wishes.

LauraNorderr Tue 29-Nov-22 15:42:48

Maywalk my spirits are always lifted when I see that you’ve posted. Your posts are sometimes humorous, often nostalgic and always interesting.
I hope you enjoy your friend’s birthday celebration, I’m certain she’ll be delighted with her gift.

Maywalk Tue 29-Nov-22 16:13:23

Thank you LauraNorderr.

I would post more often but I realise that many who call in here are a lot younger than myself.

The world has changed and so have those who live in these modern times.

I consider myself a VERY lucky person to still be able to keep in contact with the outside world so I cannot say that I ever feel lonely and depressed because I usually wake up to at least one e-mail with a belly laugh in it.

Many of them age related, that I can see the funny side of.

kittylester Tue 29-Nov-22 16:31:14

Maywalk, I have pm'd you.

Callistemon21 Tue 29-Nov-22 16:32:36

How lovely, Maywalk, congratulations and a very happy birthday to your friend.

I'm trying to remember what we bought for a relative who reached his centenary and in fact, not much at his request. He did have a big party which was lovely and we bought some of his favourite tipple.

Even if your friend is taken out by her family regularly, could you ask her daughter if you could take her out to afternoon tea if her daughter might help? There are some lovely vintage cafes serving afternoon teas which have opened recently. Tea in bone china cups and saucers, dainty sandwiches, cakes and scones.
We were treated to one recently and it was most enjoyable.

When we get older presents which are edible or able to be used are probably better than more stuff smile although a photo of you together in a nice frame would be lovely.

Callistemon21 Tue 29-Nov-22 16:34:55

Oops, I should have rtwt!

That's a lovely idea, Maywalk

Maywalk Tue 29-Nov-22 17:21:40

Thanks for the lovely idea Callistemon21 but I would not be able to do it because I am now disabled through brittle bones breaking at random, I am now completely housebound.
I cannot even get out in my garden.

I still think I am lucky though because I can keep in touch with my family on Facetime and by messenger with others around the world.
My I-pad comes in handy too when I have to spend time in the hospital. My fingers are too fumbly now for phones.

Keep well.

grannydarkhair Tue 29-Nov-22 17:33:35

I have PM’d you. I think a great many of us would appreciate your website.
So sorry to hear you’re housebound, does that mean you don’t see your chum any more?

Maywalk Tue 29-Nov-22 19:36:01

I only see her if her daughter brings her to see me now grannydarkhair.
I can only get out myself if someone can help me down the step in to my wheelchair.
I cant use a mobility scooter because I don't have the pressure in my hands now to use brakes.
Not many folk wants to take an old biddy out in the wheelchair, which is understandable because its ruddy hard work.
My son and his wife do what they can but I don't want to be a drain on them because they look after my g/grandson and the two dogs.
My son is 72 and his wife is getting over a TIA.

rjack Tue 29-Nov-22 19:54:19

what about a framed 100yr.old document with all the people that have had a part in her life. my husband received this on his special birthday and everyone who has ben an important part of his family are mentioned. Even the dogs we had when we were much younger. I occasionally pick this up and read all the names. Brings back lots of memories throughout our life.