Gransnet forums

Chat

Things that make you blub - unexpectedly

(112 Posts)
schnackie Wed 30-Nov-22 13:42:08

I am fairly unemotional, most of the time. When the lovely Queen died in September, I was very, very sad but I can't say I shed a tear. However I recently saw a short video on social media of the family on the balcony (probably from the Jubilee) and Princess Charlotte was watching her great granny, and when she (the Queen) started waving, Charlotte took the cue and began waving herself. All of a sudden I burst into tears!! Not just a drop either. It occurred to me that this wonderful lady who we are so used to seeing on a regular basis, is no longer alive. Then, again on social media, today I saw a post which said (I'm not quoting) that a woman said to her daughter "I hope I don't get Alzheimer's" and the daughter replied "Don't worry mum, if you do, I'll love you and look after you every day" Then it said the woman had had Alzheimer's for 14 years (or similar). I'm weeping just recounting this story!! So unlike me. What things make you suddenly just lose it?

Georgesgran Fri 02-Dec-22 19:19:43

Bit of an unnecessary post songstress60 - given what had gone before.
Yes, we are all entitled to our say, but don’t expect a bereaved parent to ‘man up’ or call them a weeping willow, surely.

123kitty Fri 02-Dec-22 19:43:38

Made in Yorkshire and Hellogirl I'm feeling so sad for you- my crying at opera feels almost self indulgent. My tears are forgotten so soon, but for you it must just be with you at all times. Except for my very elderly grandparents and parents (all in their 90s) I've lost no other family or friends and can't imagine anything of comfort I can offer. Thinking of you and it's lovely to see all the kind gransnet posts.

Minerva Fri 02-Dec-22 20:19:25

Heartfelt condolences to all the Grans who have lost a child. I can’t let myself imagine the agony though I remember what it did to my aunt and uncle when my pregnant cousin died at 31 when I was a young mum myself. In tears I wish you strength.

jocork Sat 03-Dec-22 06:50:51

The Sam Teale Productions Christmas advert 'Christmas is made not bought' had me sobbing my heart out yesterday. A friend posted it on Facebook and admitted he'd cried. Checkout Sam Teale Productions on Facebook and I defy you to stay dry eyed!

My sincere condolences to those who have lost a son or daughter. I can't begin to imagine the grief of losing a child. It goes against everything we expect in life. Two friends of mine have lost adult sons who took their own lives. One of them also lost another son last year to natural causes, but still a sudden unexpected death. I really don't know how she carries on but I guess for her husband and remaining youngest son. These losses made me cry.

TwiceAsNice Sat 03-Dec-22 07:38:42

MadeinYorkshire I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my son years ago whilst he was still a child, you do not expect your child to die before you. It is horrendous

Music makes me cry a lot . Abide with me , 23rd psalm ( played at my sons funeral) many pieces of classical music and always the Welsh National Anthem ( I am proudly Welsh!)

A spectacular view ( makes me feel close to God)

My children/grandchildren in distress

Cruelty to animals

The Ukraine war ( or any war really)

tictacnana Sat 03-Dec-22 10:52:45

I find that remembering my four years at university makes me weep. It was the only place I ever found true happiness and I dearly wish I could re-live it. Happy , happy days!

Aveline Sat 03-Dec-22 14:26:57

Leon Redbone quietly singing 'Moonlight Bay' does it for me every time. I don't know why but it does.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 17-Dec-22 13:09:38

So sorry for all who have lost a child, at whatever age and however long ago. It must be the thing we all dread, and I feel sad for you all. flowers

Just finding myself tearful while reading "How Far To Bethlehem?" by Norah Lofts for the umpteenth time. It doesn't always have that effect on me, but it's such a lovely interpretation of the Nativity story and I reread it most years.

Shel69 Sat 17-Dec-22 19:53:32

Abide with me, it is a hymn that sets me off

Antonia Sat 17-Dec-22 20:12:00

MadeInYorkshire

My daughter died unexpectedly on Thursday, I cannot stop blubbing, I am heartbroken ....

That is so awful, I can't imagine what you are going through. Sending love 💖.

BrightandBreezy Sun 18-Dec-22 01:08:05

MadeinYorkshire and Hellogirl sincere condolences to you both. 💐