Gransnet forums

Chat

Today starts my countdown to Christmas

(68 Posts)
paddyann54 Thu 01-Dec-22 08:48:07

My GD 's will be here after school to decorate the tree ,mince pies in the oven already for them and my favourite Christmas album on the cd player .
This isn't your noisy ,happy style Christmas album but it appropriate for how I feel about life this year ,Have a listen and see if you agree.
Pass on your favourite Christmas music for me to hear .Happy Christmas

youtu.be/zZi4zxBVYv4

Witzend Sun 04-Dec-22 12:04:15

Carpets just about dry now, so I’ll be hoovering and putting everything straight again. And polishing silver and brass - inc. a big brass and copper covered chest, so that’s a big job - it only ever gets done pre Christmas, so the smell of Brasso has come to feel Christmassy to me!
I hope that’ll cheer me up a bit - I might play some carols, too - since something very upsetting happened earlier. 😥

Might also make the first mince pies. Usually do them on the 1st, but was otherwise engaged. Dh will be very happy!

IrishDancing Sun 04-Dec-22 12:04:20

Still have Christmas notes (not of the round robin variety!) to write, and trees (real so too early) to put up - other decs up already. A few presents wrapped but, hopefully, most bought. Mince made for the pies (might try yours next year Urm) other traditional things in the freezer.
My favourite Christmas song is It’s Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas by Dean Martin - reminds me of my parents …

25Avalon Sun 04-Dec-22 12:04:25

The Post office are recommending you post all hristmas cards a week early. Second class on the 12 and First on the 15th so definitely need to get cracking on the countdown to Christmas.

Redhead56 Sun 04-Dec-22 12:04:54

SillyNanny321 hope your Christmas Day with family lifts your spirits for you💐

Grannynannywanny Sun 04-Dec-22 12:13:55

My 2 teenage grandchildren came to stay overnight and they were excited to set up my tree and nativity crib. I enjoyed sitting back and watching them do it. We enjoyed chatting about the tree ornaments and decorations some of which they made as small children and even a few made by their Mum.

Ziplok Sun 04-Dec-22 12:14:26

The Advent wreath came out last Sunday and the second candle will be lit today. The rest of the decorations will start to go up from next weekend.
I posted all the cards which require posting on Friday, much earlier than normal for me, but with all the postal strikes, I thought that I better had. I’ve cut down on the number I send, too, so it wasn’t too costly.
I may start some gift wrapping later today.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 04-Dec-22 12:28:40

I just can’t get going with Christmas. I have the Presents to wrap, haven’t got the foggiest about cards as I usually have some left over from last year and then just buy a few more but this year well….. we will see. That’s it I am afraid, just don’t seem to be in the mood this year.

Sasta Sun 04-Dec-22 12:58:52

My gran and my mother always said that Urms’ ‘it’s as far away now as it’ll ever be’, about everything ‘over’. I still really miss my mum too and she’s been gone 26 years, but especially miss her at Christmas.

grannybuy Sun 04-Dec-22 13:29:53

DGS and DGD came yesterday to do my tree. DGS puts all the parts together and disentangles the lights, and DGD festoons it with baubles and tinsel. Today, I have the stepladder in from the garage to hang a few bits and pieces. The cards have been sitting on the table for a week now, but might get down to it today! Also, must write a gift shopping list, instead of buying isolated items as and when. DGD and I made the Christmas cakes a couple of months ago, and yesterday, we spread some festive spirit on them - literally.

Witzend Sun 04-Dec-22 13:40:51

I love my corny Advent calendar!

Grandyma Sun 04-Dec-22 14:06:51

Last weekend we put the tree and the decorations up. Finished the Christmas shopping. I was planning the food for Xmas day, we’re hosting it this year. On Monday morning a close relative died. This week has spent helping to plan a funeral & a wake and support my bereaved uncle. Ain’t life strange.

knspol Sun 04-Dec-22 14:26:21

Have always had a lovely tree and lots of decorations but not this year. It will be my first `Christmas since the death of my dear husband and I just cannot face it all. I will send some cards but even that is a daunting task writing just one name instead of the usual two that's been the norm for the past 50+years and there are several people who don't live locally that I will have to tell about what's happened. Dreading it all.

Norah Sun 04-Dec-22 14:33:01

We've lit the second candle. That's all really apart from lights in the garden. It's a bit early for us to be bothered.

Our GC and GGC have been over several times to bake and ice gingerbread people I suppose mostly to eat cookies and watch Christmas shows.

Norah Sun 04-Dec-22 14:34:14

knspol I'm so sorry. flowers

paddyann54 Sun 04-Dec-22 14:54:44

Grandyma I'm sorry for your loss.
Thats the reason I'm ramping up Christmas this year ,between the 10th and 20th of last December we lost 3 people one was my much loved MIL.Christmas was cancelled ,MIL's funeral was on the 20th and we had two after that to attend before the year end both close friends.Then another two in January.I'll be glad to see the back of 2022

sandye Sun 04-Dec-22 15:07:20

www.youtube.com/watch?v=01BcaggibDw One of my very best christmas songs

songstress60 Sun 04-Dec-22 15:25:55

HATE Christmas. I got burgled 3 years ago and they hacked into my cards on 10 December, and the bank refused to refund the cash. In 2013 my dad passed away, so I utterly loathe it.

Milest0ne Sun 04-Dec-22 16:19:22

crazyH

Got my window lights on. My small fibre-optic tree was not working. Thought I’d go to the loo for a wee, before I sorted the plug etc. Flushed the toilet - it was blocked 😫. Gloves on , plunger out - no luck. Then I noticed something white - gloved hands in - guess what it was? The toilet freshener (that you hang on the rim) had fallen into the bowl. So be warned if you’re using one of those. So glad I noticed it - a plumber would have cost me an arm and a leg 😫

You were lucky If you had a saniflo that would have been fatal. and two arms and two legs worth of plumbing work

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Dec-22 16:41:03

I posted the overseas cards.
The decorations will go up next weekend, hoping DD will help.
If I make mince pies DH will eat them all before Christmas.

Do you think last year's mincemeat will still be ok? Delia's recipe, made in a fit of enthusiasm, then I was unwell before last Christmas so the pies never got made.

Merry Christmas paddyanne and thank you for the link, that's a lovely version of the song.

Bunty24 Sun 04-Dec-22 17:07:51

You all sound so organised and ready for festivities. I don’t put my decorations up til 10 days before Christmas. My dad’s birthday and then my husband’s fell in that week so we put them up then with a dual purpose. Both long gone now but I still like some decorations. My family is tiny, daughter and her husband don’t live too far away and my sister and her husband who have both had strokes this year are similarly fairly near by. My son and family, my lovely twin grandsons are in the USA , so thankful for FaceTime. I have done some shopping for gifts and will still cook myself a nice dinner, but it’s a time for reflection and a little sad too.

Cabbie21 Sun 04-Dec-22 17:26:27

Same here, Bunty, no decorations before DH’s birthday. I usually do them around the 18th or so, but keep them up until Twelfth Night.
I haven’t baked anything for years. I only eat it!
Must start on cards and letters, especially as the last dates for posting have been brought forward.
I like Christmas but we don't make a big thing out of it, apart from the religious aspects.

Forsythia Sun 04-Dec-22 17:33:47

I’ve written the cards today and will post off tomorrow. Next weekend, will put the decorations and tree up. No visitors this year so part of me thinks what’s the point, but I shall do it anyway.

JaneJudge Sun 04-Dec-22 17:34:35

tree ,baileys and christmas vacation on the telly box

Bijou Sun 04-Dec-22 17:41:18

Christmas is just another day for me now. Will spend the day alone apart from the hour my help will come todo the washing up and make my bed etc.
My son, daughter in law will come Day after Boxing Day on their way to taking my grandson and wife back to London.
Years ago I used to send over a hundred Christmas cards now only twenty as I have outlived all my friends.
It is no fun getting old.

Grandyma Sun 04-Dec-22 18:17:56

* paddyann54* it’s horrible isn’t it? So sorry you’ve had a horrible year. My aunt’s funeral will be on 19th December. I don’t know if I’m in Xmas mode or funeral mode atm 😊