Gransnet forums

Chat

Today starts my countdown to Christmas

(68 Posts)
paddyann54 Thu 01-Dec-22 08:48:07

My GD 's will be here after school to decorate the tree ,mince pies in the oven already for them and my favourite Christmas album on the cd player .
This isn't your noisy ,happy style Christmas album but it appropriate for how I feel about life this year ,Have a listen and see if you agree.
Pass on your favourite Christmas music for me to hear .Happy Christmas

youtu.be/zZi4zxBVYv4

Kamj Sun 04-Dec-22 18:21:21

I lost my young granddaughter this year and her birthday is in December, I am struggling to do anything Christmas related, I just want to go and hide, I must keep going for my children and grandchildren though, just not sure how atm.

Grandyma Sun 04-Dec-22 19:05:10

Oh * Kamj* how terribly sad. Sending sincere condolences on your loss. I’m sure your family will help you get through the festive season. 💐

Witzend Mon 05-Dec-22 10:21:07

Callistemon21

I posted the overseas cards.
The decorations will go up next weekend, hoping DD will help.
If I make mince pies DH will eat them all before Christmas.

Do you think last year's mincemeat will still be ok? Delia's recipe, made in a fit of enthusiasm, then I was unwell before last Christmas so the pies never got made.

Merry Christmas paddyanne and thank you for the link, that's a lovely version of the song.

I made 2 dozen yesterday with last year’s leftover Delia’s - both jars part used (one normal, one with veggie suet).
I just checked and there are - ahem - 13 left this morning, and I can’t entirely blame dh. (We’re both still alive and reasonably bushy-tailed.)

In case the mincemeat was a tad dry, I added just a drop or two of orange juice to each one before putting the tops on - just stars now, easier and less pastry.

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:23:03

I'll use it then, the jars are both unopened.

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:24:12

We’re both still alive and reasonably bushy-tailed
Oh good!

We need something to perk us up

🐿

Norah Mon 05-Dec-22 10:29:12

Kamj I'm so sorry, I pray you find strength flowers

Hetty58 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:42:22

Kamj, I'd say just stick to the basics and don't feel pressured to make a huge effort. Just stop doing the things you find upsetting.

It's easier to be a guest, rather than a host. Some of us know that it'll be a time filled with great sadness, so we battle through it, with a fake smile - and look forward (more than ever) to the new year. We secretly dread the special occasions and really value the normal, ordinary days.

Kate1949 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:54:44

Kamj flowers How terrible.

Witzend Mon 05-Dec-22 11:47:01

Kamj, I’m so sorry, how dreadfully sad.💐

Kamj Mon 12-Dec-22 04:20:12

Thank you for your kind words, I paint the smile on my face, just hope I don't smudge it. X

Sasta Mon 12-Dec-22 07:34:24

So terribly sad for you and you family Kamj, sorry for your loss x

Shel69 Mon 12-Dec-22 08:01:42

Sorry for your loss Kamj, praying for you and your family,
At home here in county Kerry we are also having a quiet Christmas, my DH had a stroke 6 weeks ago , so Christmas without him( he's in hospital) will be very different, my son and his wife and girls are flying over from the UK Christmas eve and returning boxing day, I couldn't manage having a large tree in my house so bought a small potted one from Tesco which is lightly decorated and I will put lights on that to please my 7 grandchildren,
My house is quiet and my grown up children are walking on eggshells round me sadly,
I really just want to get on with it and want them to enjoy the Christmas time, my dh and myself are Christians and whatever or wherever we are we will celebrate in our own way,
In the town the jarveys dress up the horses like reindeer for the tourists, it's a sight to behold

25Avalon Mon 12-Dec-22 09:07:37

Kamji I am so sorry for your loss. Of course you don’t feel like doing anything this Christmas but you have to keep going for your ac and other gc. I felt the same way when I lost my ds several years ago one November. Christmas was a no no to me but my other children persuaded me otherwise. I had a small tree which I decorated with new star shaped lights which I dragged myself out to buy, and put a big star on the top for my super star. It was very calming and peaceful. Peace was all I wanted. I did send cards with pictures of holly and Ivy wishing peace. I send such cards now to any of my friends who have lost a loved one.

Kamj I wish you peace. flowers

Kamj Mon 12-Dec-22 09:51:21

I have the presents, cards, decorations but nothing is done, I know I need to motivate myself, I just can't, I never felt pain like this I have lost my father and now my mother is "end of life care" but to lose a child is not the order of life, I have good and not so good days.. I will be ok and will find the strength, I have been the strength for my family on the outside

Kamj Mon 12-Dec-22 09:52:49

Sorry posted to soon, I am just feeling a little sorry for myself, all will be ok, I just need time x

25Avalon Mon 12-Dec-22 10:03:33

Kamj let your family help you too. When they have a bad day I am sure you help them. When you have one let them help you. Hopefully you won’t all have bad days at the same time. This is how we got through it. You do not have to be strong all the time. Sometimes the I’m ok mask you put on when getting up isn’t enough. You need a big hug. Here’s one from me.

Kamj Mon 12-Dec-22 10:15:45

Thank you that's my problem I have been the strong one holding everyone together and now I'm crumbling, as a family we are a strong unit, we will get through this, I appreciate its just time, I know I am putting to much pressure on myself I shouldn't worry if the cards aren't wrote or the presents aren't wrapped, if the trees not up, but I do a part of me wants all that but another part doesn't, I have told myself I will sort it this week, to me it's late and that's what's getting me all in a flap, I know I shouldn't as like family say sod the cards, stick gifts in bags and don't worry about a tree, but it's not me, I'm normally 'Mrs Christmas' 😊

Thank you for all the kinds words, I'm sorry I've made this thread so sad please carry on as before and make it a joyuos one again, x