Gransnet forums

Chat

Children are quick. Comical sayings of children.

(93 Posts)
Maywalk Thu 01-Dec-22 16:23:35

We could all do with a smile during these dark days and I have just found this below in my files.

Can anyone add something comical that their child or grandchild has said that you can still laugh about. ?

Let us be seeing their comical questions or answers.
Children Are Quick

TEACHER: Why are you late?
STUDENT: Class started before I got here.

TEACHER: John, why are you doing your math multiplication on the floor?
JOHN: You told me to do it without using tables.

TEACHER: Glenn, how do you spell 'crocodile?'
GLENN: K-R-O-K-O-D-I-A-L'
TEACHER: No, that's wrong
GLENN: Maybe it is wrong, but you asked me how I spell it.
(I Love this child)

TEACHER: Donald, what is the chemical formula for water?
DONALD: H I J K L M N O.
TEACHER: What are you talking about?
DONALD: Yesterday you said it's H to O.

TEACHER: Winnie, name one important thing we have today that we didn't have ten years ago.
WINNIE: Me!

TEACHER: Glen, why do you always get so dirty?
GLEN: Well, I'm a lot closer to the ground than you are.

TEACHER: Millie, give me a sentence starting with 'I'.
MILLIE: I is...
TEACHER: No, Millie..... Always say, 'I am.'
MILLIE: All right... 'I am the ninth letter of the alphabet.'

TEACHER: George Washington not only chopped down his father's cherry tree, but also admitted it. Now, Louie, do you know why his father didn't punish him?
LOUIS: Because George still had the axe in his hand.....

TEACHER: Now, Simon , tell me frankly, do you say prayers before eating?
SIMON: No sir, I don't have to, my Mum is a good cook.

TEACHER: Clyde , your composition on 'My Dog' is exactly the same as your brother's. Did you copy his?
CLYDE : No, sir. It's the same dog.
(I want to adopt this kid!!!)

TEACHER: Harold, what do you call a person who keeps on talking when people are no longer interested?
HAROLD: A teacher

Grammaretto Wed 14-Dec-22 14:25:49

Very impressive May walk

happycatholicwife1 Wed 14-Dec-22 00:23:26

My youngest granddaughter used to ask to go to the mall to see the "otagoda". We couldn't figure out what she meant. She was very young (under two) and talked a lot, but was sometimes hard to understand. Grandpa and I took her to the mall just for the fun of it and to figure out what we were looking for. When we arrived at the Rainforest Cafe and saw the crocodile in the swamp, we realized it was the otagoda (alligator). Why she changed species, I have no idea, but must have been from a television program. Anyway, we thought it was pretty funny. Of course, we thought everything she did was marvelous and no one had ever had a grandchild as adorable as ours. I know, I know.

Witzend Sat 10-Dec-22 10:25:06

Long ago now, but a niece of IIRC barely 3 was taken to visit her GGM and step GGF, who was a jolly old chap, but completely bald - not a single hair on his head. (Apparently he’d lost the lot after a fighter pilot son was shot down and killed during WW2).

Niece asked him what had happened to it.
He said, ‘I don’t know - what do you think?’

Niece thought for a moment, with finger in her mouth. ‘Up to Jesus?’

Jaxie Fri 09-Dec-22 15:40:59

Granny driving 2 sisters in the car,” Shall we play the alphabet game to keep your little sister amused. You know: A is for apple, B for banana.” Elder sister: “ And N is for no.”

Maywalk Tue 06-Dec-22 20:57:59

Hi Grammaretto.

Yes there are tales from when I was born that takes in being cruelly treated by Sister-of-Mercy and through the war years when being machine gunned in the hop fields, apart from being bombed out twice during the London Blitz. It takes the reader up to my farcical Cockney wedding day.

The tales are all in the book that has all proceeds after printing costs taken out going to my local Children's Hospice.

I wrote it about 18 years ago and pleased to say its made a 4 figure sum for the Hospice.

Grammaretto Tue 06-Dec-22 20:32:05

That's delightful Maisie . You are a clever girl!

Are there stories of when you were small?

Maywalk Tue 06-Dec-22 19:29:13

Loved them all and I hope we get more.
It certainly helps to lighten the day.

Thanks Folks.

It reminds me of this poem I wrote many years ago when I used to sit on the seat where the young Mum's used to bring their children on the recreation area where I live.

The children used to call me Nanny and very often came to tell me about their activities at school or home.

One day a little lad came and sat next to me while his mother with her new baby was talking to another Mum.
He told me the following tale that tickled me which I put into verse when I got home.

MY BROTHER

My mum's had a baby, a playmate for me
She said that she found him under a tree.
I don't like him when he's crying and is always wet
But I suppose at the time it was all she could get.

He's small at the moment and does nothing but yell
And sometimes he burps and makes a bad smell,
I'll teach him nursery rhymes and "Winnie the Pooh"
And how to use the toilet and not wee in his shoe.

We will draw lots of pictures and have lots of fun
And we will play in the paddling pool out in the sun.
I WILL look after him, I will make sure of that
And we will share my books about "Postman Pat"

We will play at "Bob the Builder" and build a wall
I will teach him his ABC and watch him grow tall
I will tell him about the animals that live in the Zoo
In fact I will tell him everything he can and can't do

I'll show him how to eat and how to drink out of a cup
Though I am only just turned six I feel I'm quite grown-up.

Copyright © - Maisie Walker 2003 - All rights reserved

V3ra Tue 06-Dec-22 17:37:38

Grannie06

My 18 month old grandaughter used to ask for cheese dicks instead of cheese sticks.

We were on holiday in Cornwall many years ago. There was a lovely young man who used to come round the beach and the bar with a tray of seafood.

Unfortunately all the naughty little boys (mine included) used to take great delight in paraphrasing his advertising cry of "prawns, cockles, mussels, crab sticks" at the top of their voices... 🙄

Grannie06 Tue 06-Dec-22 15:10:43

My 18 month old grandaughter used to ask for cheese dicks instead of cheese sticks.

pinkym Tue 06-Dec-22 11:23:12

My soon-to-be 6-year-old GD asked me yesterday if I'd like to hear the song she was learning at school, of course I said I'd love to. I had to bite the insides of my cheeks not to laugh as she warbled "Away in Jamaica, no crib for a bed" grin

madeleine45 Tue 06-Dec-22 07:50:57

One my son said when he was little that I think should be in the dictionary. Just eaten his lunch and he turned and said "That was my flavourite dinner mummy" another time we had been talking about a little friends guinea pig and we sat down for fish and chips. He looked across the table and said can I have some guinea pig please (vinegar!) He is in his 40's now and dont think would be pleased to be remineded !

Nanagem Tue 06-Dec-22 07:33:03

My 4 year old granddaughter loves chocolate (no surprise there)

She came into the kitchen to see me baking

Gd - what you cooking nana

Me - I’m baking a Victoria sandwich for your other nana

Gd - why

Me - because it’s her favourite and I thought I would surprise her

Gd - what’s a Victoria sandwich

Me - it’s a cake like I make you, but without chocolate in it

Gd looking puzzled - again why ‘

She honestly looked so confused and the phrase “again why “ so grown up, 😂

Mamma66 Tue 06-Dec-22 02:42:21

We went to Mass every Sunday. I was about 6 or 7 and asked my parents why we called the priest Cannon McNicholas. Mum, puzzled, “…because it’s his name”. Me, “No, it’s not. He’s called ‘Peter Guard’”. Mum, “how do you figure that one out?” Me: “… because we say, ‘thanks Peter Guard’ at the end of the mass.” (Thanks be to God). I never lived it down.

Maywalk Mon 05-Dec-22 14:59:04

Its been a good giggle when reading all the things children come out with.
Thanks folks for joining in.

I think we could all do with a belly laugh at times to help take away the blues.

We could do with a daily joke section to help folks unwind.

brazenp75 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:24:12

Thank you! what a good idea - really cheered me up!

Witzend Mon 05-Dec-22 10:05:41

Helenj2

My two youngest children were watching Ivor the Engine on tv. I said "Oh, this is an old one. I remember watching this when I was your age." The next time it came on, my son turned to me and said " Mummy, this used to be on in olden times when you lived, didn't it? "

My dds cracked up when I told them that when I was very little, the milkman came with a horse. For ever after the ‘olden days’ were when poor old Dark Ages mum was young.

Ro60 Mon 05-Dec-22 09:00:04

Thank you Maywalk
DD had her niece overnight.
" You need to think about getting dressed" she said in the morning.

After getting dressed herself, came back to find niece still in the living room.
" I thought you were getting dressed"

"I'm thinking about it" was the reply.

Witzend Mon 05-Dec-22 07:49:13

Love all these!

Being a fully paid-up pedant, I was perversely chuffed to hear a dd of maybe 10, telling me after some tests at school, ‘English was OK, Mum, but I did really craply at maths.’

Apricity Mon 05-Dec-22 00:38:00

When I was 6 we moved to a new house and my mother lined the new bedroom drawers with some pink quilted material. For some reason I was very impressed by this and rushed up to guests excitedly asking if they had seen the pretty pink bottom in Mummy's drawers.

Grammaretto Sun 04-Dec-22 22:34:01

These are great! Thanks so much. I love purdles
Only today I asked DGD age 7 what she was doing at school now it's nearly Christmas.

Oh just nativity stuff - nothing Christmassy!

Rather a reflection on our times I thought.

ElaineRI55 Sun 04-Dec-22 22:11:21

When my older son was about 6, he was singing a song at home which they had been practising for the Christmas concert. I realised he was singing " highly flavoured lady" instead of "highly favoured lady" - referring to the virgin Mary. Thought it best to correct him, but gave us quite a laugh.

Coppernob Sun 04-Dec-22 21:48:39

My Italian granddaughter had been learning about adding an s to make a plural in English. Later she and her Mum had the following conversation:

S: Mummy I've got a bru

Mum: A what?

S: A bru on my leg

M: A what? Show me. Oh a bruise

S: No Mummy, A bru. There's only one

Floradora9 Sun 04-Dec-22 21:38:58

Not a mistake but a bright kid. I was listening to our local radio statio and it was a quiz for children . The quizmaster asked one girl what she would be doing tht afternoon. the conversation went like this.
girl : I will be going to gymnastics .
QM : so are you flexible ?
girl : Well I can't do Tuesdays .

Think about it !

Frosty60 Sun 04-Dec-22 21:19:41

When we were visiting my sister with my mum my DS (now 33), was in the room with my mum playing with their dog, my mum said to him give Lady some peace she doesn’t want to play. DS went into the kitchen looking in the fridge and my sister asked him what he was looking for. His reply “Gran says lady wants some peas”. We’ve never let him forget it 😂 😂

RosemaryAnne Sun 04-Dec-22 20:45:45

All so brilliant. Thank you 😂