Gransnet forums

Chat

A whole different connotation

(27 Posts)
biglouis Sat 03-Dec-22 01:12:41

In some oriental countries it is deemed very rude to pat children on the head, This is because the head is considered to be the soul of the person and touching it casually is disrespectful. Whereas in the West patting a child's head is a sign of affaction or approval.

When you attend a Moslem household and eat with your fingers from a common dish (as eating couscous in Morocco) it is considered very rude to use the left hand. This is often the hand which people in that country use to clean themselves in the toilet so one does nto touch food with it. Westerners are usually given a spoon!

nanna8 Sat 03-Dec-22 00:08:45

I received a message from one of the ancestry sites asking who I would ‘root’ for - England, Wales or Scotland being of mixed ancestry. I did a double take because that means something a whole lot different here in Australia where I have lived for the past 50+ years! Set me thinking of how sometimes there can be misunderstandings between nations. A Moslem friend mentioned it was rude to sit with crossed legs and feet pointing outwards which I hadn’t known. Funny old world.