Gransnet forums

Chat

Mondegreens.

(86 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 04-Dec-22 22:26:20

You know, those song lyrics that you always misheard. From the the folk song The Bonny Earl of Moray when the line

For they've slain the Earl of Moray and they laid him on the green

was misheard as

For they've slain the Earl of Moray and the Lady Mondegreen

Have you any favourite mondegreens? A couple of mind are

From Bob Dylan:
Knock knock knocking on Kevin's door

From David Bowie's Oh You Pretty Things
You better make way for the Mother Superior

25Avalon Mon 05-Dec-22 09:07:56

As a child I thought Baa Baa Black sheep’s last line was “for the little boy who lives down the drain.” Never could understand why!

Urmstongran Mon 05-Dec-22 09:09:03

The latest from the grandchildren when singing along to ‘Wham’
“Last Christmas I gave you my heart
And the very next day, you sold it on eBay”
🎶

Doodledog Mon 05-Dec-22 09:10:46

25Avalon

As a child I thought Baa Baa Black sheep’s last line was “for the little boy who lives down the drain.” Never could understand why!

That's like my noisy sewing one grin. The world must be a bewildering place for children. I suppose they just accept what they don't understand as there is so much confusion.

AskAlice Mon 05-Dec-22 09:17:06

My daughter had to learn the song "Happiness Is" for an infant school assembly. Her version was "Having a Zizz"!!!

Hetty58 Mon 05-Dec-22 09:25:31

(Daughter) 'Every time you go away - you take a piece of meat with you!'

Lucca Mon 05-Dec-22 09:31:56

There’s a station called Drem in Scotland, (Fife?) and it was a chilly place. The kids who went via it to school in Haddington used to adapt the Lord’s Prayer to “ and lead us not into Drem station”
Clever I thought.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Mon 05-Dec-22 10:15:36

Urmstongran

The latest from the grandchildren when singing along to ‘Wham’
“Last Christmas I gave you my heart
And the very next day, you sold it on eBay”
🎶

I think that's a pretty good lyric for our times!

Caleo Mon 05-Dec-22 14:20:08

Thy foot heel not let slide

Baggs Mon 05-Dec-22 14:34:20

From the Hail Mary prayer: "Blessed art thou a monk swimming."

Blondiescot Mon 05-Dec-22 14:39:07

Lucca

There’s a station called Drem in Scotland, (Fife?) and it was a chilly place. The kids who went via it to school in Haddington used to adapt the Lord’s Prayer to “ and lead us not into Drem station”
Clever I thought.

Drem is in East Lothian, not Fife.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-22 20:03:44

I've just remembered being quite young and singing along to my favourite song at that time "Feeling Grooby" blush
My family teased me relentlessly about that and it really embarrassed me to this day.
Grooby, indeed! blush

boheminan Mon 05-Dec-22 20:35:50

For years I thought the line from Paul Simon's 'Gracelands' 'The way she brushed her hair from her forehead' was 'she brushed her hair and farted'....

LilyoftheValley Mon 05-Dec-22 21:22:24

Westlife: I'll be ok now. Misheard as. I'll be your caveman!

Luckygirl3 Mon 05-Dec-22 21:26:47

A Wayne in a manger
Be grateful in bed.

Grannybags Mon 05-Dec-22 21:39:11

Hetty58

(Daughter) 'Every time you go away - you take a piece of meat with you!'

My son sang that too!

My school friend used to sing "You don't have to say you love me just because of ham"

Doodledog Mon 05-Dec-22 21:41:35

Because of ham 😂

Kim19 Mon 05-Dec-22 21:49:35

Mairsie dotes and dosey dotes and little amsy tivey. A kiddley tivey too, wouldn't you?

Reality..... Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. A kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?

Much too embarrassing to declare what age I was before discovering this was not just a nonsense song!

Deedaa Mon 05-Dec-22 21:55:52

Desmond Dekker and The Isrealites - or as I prefer it -Me ears are alight.

My grandmother told me that for years she used to sing a hymn about Gladly the cross-eyed bear.

HettyBetty Mon 05-Dec-22 22:12:13

DS aged 4. Away in a manger, no crisps for a bed

I love the classic Beatles one, The girl with colitis goes by.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-22 22:13:20

grin

LadyHonoriaDedlock Mon 05-Dec-22 22:39:13

MissAdventure

I've just remembered being quite young and singing along to my favourite song at that time "Feeling Grooby" blush
My family teased me relentlessly about that and it really embarrassed me to this day.
Grooby, indeed! blush

There's a village near Leicester called Groby, pronounced "Grooby". Perhaps that's what the locals sing.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-22 22:40:38

Are the residents known as Groobers? smile

JackyB Tue 06-Dec-22 10:32:26

I have always posted a link to a YouTube clip of Carmina Burana when this subject comes up; it always has me in hysterics. I've discovered a new one -

youtu.be/Y88vF0l8FDo

I hope you find it as funny as I do.

Baggs Tue 06-Dec-22 10:39:31

Kim19

Mairsie dotes and dosey dotes and little amsy tivey. A kiddley tivey too, wouldn't you?

Reality..... Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. A kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?

Much too embarrassing to declare what age I was before discovering this was not just a nonsense song!

We sang this a lot when we were kids, Kim19. Once we knew the "translation" we used to end it with "clog" instead of 'wooden shoe'. 😁

Yammy Tue 06-Dec-22 10:42:07

Luckygirl3

A Wayne in a manger
Be grateful in bed.

I like that one it reminds me of work, I always got. We three Kings off Orient Far ,One in a taxi one in a car. DH knew a ruder version and the little boy who sang this in the Christmas Nativity also flashed at the same time,I had told them to get undressed and put the nativity close on he went one further and took his briefs off.