Gransnet forums

Chat

Mondegreens.

(86 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 04-Dec-22 22:26:20

You know, those song lyrics that you always misheard. From the the folk song The Bonny Earl of Moray when the line

For they've slain the Earl of Moray and they laid him on the green

was misheard as

For they've slain the Earl of Moray and the Lady Mondegreen

Have you any favourite mondegreens? A couple of mind are

From Bob Dylan:
Knock knock knocking on Kevin's door

From David Bowie's Oh You Pretty Things
You better make way for the Mother Superior

Yammy Tue 06-Dec-22 10:47:36

LadyHonoriaDedlock

MissAdventure

I've just remembered being quite young and singing along to my favourite song at that time "Feeling Grooby" blush
My family teased me relentlessly about that and it really embarrassed me to this day.
Grooby, indeed! blush

There's a village near Leicester called Groby, pronounced "Grooby". Perhaps that's what the locals sing.

I used to live in the Gate House at the old Groby Road Hospital, next to the morgue and the Crem was just up the road.
When a Child is born had just been released, the children always sang when a child has drawn. They liked their crayons in the infants.

pen50 Wed 07-Dec-22 11:15:04

A friend used to sing along to the Jam's "Eating Trifle". And another has asked, "Are we human? Or are we hamster?"

silverspoon125 Wed 07-Dec-22 11:17:35

"Where the Mountains of Mourne leap down to the sea"

vampirequeen Wed 07-Dec-22 11:31:46

There was a song in the 70s called Smarty Pants.

The words were...they call her Smarty Pants looking for romance

My friend's man sang...they call her Frying Pan looking for a man

Scottiebear Wed 07-Dec-22 11:35:19

'A year has passed since I broke my nose'. DHs rendition of Message in a bottle - 'since I wrote my note'.

vampirequeen Wed 07-Dec-22 11:39:08

I misheard I'm so horny for I like honey. My teenagers told me in the end when I was singing "I like honey" outside and they took great joy in telling me the real words and what it was about.

Blondiescot Wed 07-Dec-22 11:46:34

Deedaa

Desmond Dekker and The Isrealites - or as I prefer it -Me ears are alight.

My grandmother told me that for years she used to sing a hymn about Gladly the cross-eyed bear.

That last part reminds me of Alanis Morrisette's You Oughta Know - 'It's not fair to deny me, of the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me'.

Poppyred Wed 07-Dec-22 11:58:37

Grandma70s

Our Father, which art in heaven, Harold be thy name.

😂😂

Coco51 Wed 07-Dec-22 11:59:15

DGS after watching Madagasca ‘I like to Moob it moob it’

lizzypopbottle Wed 07-Dec-22 12:40:43

Going back decades! I had to Google this one, Poor Me by Adam Faith, for the actual words. Apparently the line is: Sit and cry that this was meant to be, but my little sister's version was, Silly guy assasessapee.... No idea what sense she made of assasessapee... 😶

Welshy Wed 07-Dec-22 13:25:24

Katek

Peter Kay does a wonderful set on misheard song lyrics.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7my5baoCVv8

I've not seen that one before Katek.
Hilarious!
Thank you for sharing grin

MarilynneT33 Wed 07-Dec-22 13:32:26

I used to make my workmate laugh with my misheard lyrics. I can't think of them all but I recall a song by a singer called Lorde called Royals. The line You can call me Queen Bee was misheard as You can call me Green Bean.

Grandmagrewit Wed 07-Dec-22 13:33:26

Another one from Desmond Dekker and the Israelites - "Wake up every morning, baked beans for breakfast".

missdeke Wed 07-Dec-22 13:44:52

I only learnt last year that Louis Armstrong sings ' the dark sacred night' I thought it was 'the dogs say goodnight'.

Grandyma Wed 07-Dec-22 14:03:56

Celine Dion theme from the titanic “I will always love Hugh”

Boz Wed 07-Dec-22 14:10:58

Highly flavoured Lady. Can't remeber Carol title.

Foxyferret Wed 07-Dec-22 14:40:47

We three kings of orient are, one in a taxi, one in a car, one on his scooter pipping his hooter following Ringo Starr. Not exactly misheard but still funny imo.

orly Wed 07-Dec-22 15:39:29

Elton John "pissing in a stream" (Honky Cat)

NannaGrandad Wed 07-Dec-22 16:01:24

Love these kind of threads. Herman’s Hermits - She’s a must to avoid. I thought it was muscular boy! Currently playing everywhere I thought the Christmas song was ties in every store it’s actually toys but ties made sense to me at the time.

HillyN Wed 07-Dec-22 16:05:44

Bee Gees- "It's only worms, and worms are all you need..." (Words). My DDs used to sing this loudly at discos etc !

Doodledog Wed 07-Dec-22 17:03:46

Boz

Highly flavoured Lady. Can't remeber Carol title.

The Angel Gabriel from Heaven came
His wings as drifted snow, his eyes as flame.
'All hail' said he 'the lowly maiden Ma-a-ry'
Most highly flavoured lady
Gloria

Shizam Wed 07-Dec-22 17:09:08

Son used to sing ‘forget about your troubles and your stripes’ instead of strife in Bear Necessities. Jungle Book.

Doodledog Wed 07-Dec-22 18:01:54

Foxyferret

We three kings of orient are, one in a taxi, one in a car, one on his scooter pipping his hooter following Ringo Starr. Not exactly misheard but still funny imo.

We three kings of Leicester Square
Selling ladies' underwear
They aren't fantastic, no elastic
Very unsafe to wear.

On the Christmas theme, a child in a friend's primary class was very keen to play Round John in the Nativity play. She couldn't work out what he meant, but it turned out to be the Round John from Round John, virgin, mother and child.

MarilynneT33 Wed 07-Dec-22 18:11:28

Orly I had to go on YouTube to listen to that. Now I can't unhear it. My hubby thought the same.

Smiffy58 Wed 07-Dec-22 18:15:17

Our Father who shouts in heaven Harold be his name, my favourite from my time as a nursery teacher.