Gransnet forums

Chat

Can’t be bothered, 🎄 fatigue.

(114 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 05-Dec-22 21:58:32

I don’t know what it is about this year, maybe some sort of post Covid comedown but I really can’t be bothered doing much. We have a lot of social events lined up before Christmas but I’d just as soon stay home and vegetate. I have only just sent my overseas Christmas cards out, cut them down significantly because of the outrageous postage cost. I don’t particularly want to deal with anyone other than family ( we have a lot of them ). I don’t feel depressed or anything like that, just inert and, dare I say it, a tad grumpy.
Anyone else got this ?

SueDonim Tue 06-Dec-22 11:23:01

Sasta some of my cards are leftover from last year! blush

What’s CFS? Cystic fibrosis comes to mind.

Yammy Tue 06-Dec-22 11:49:38

Yes, I've caught a doze after writing Christmas cards. So many were missing this year and so many I had to be careful to put the woman's name only. It is so cold my writing has gone back to printing the pen kept slipping
To top it all my mother's cousin lives on the same street as she did when I checked I had put my parent address on, luckily I could change it as they were just an added number. Goodness knows what I wrote inside I know I put all the best for 2003 in some but could not be bothered to tear them open and change.hmm

biglouis Tue 06-Dec-22 12:06:16

More and more I find that I am living for myself rather than ther people of "the community". I dont feel one iota of guilt because ive done more than my share over the years.

MawtheMerrier Tue 06-Dec-22 12:54:53

SueDonim

Sasta some of my cards are leftover from last year! blush

What’s CFS? Cystic fibrosis comes to mind.

Christmas Fatigue Syndrome!

AreWeThereYet Tue 06-Dec-22 14:54:31

To all those missing family and friends this Christmas flowers and I hope you find some comfort.

I haven't taken enough notice of Christmas yet to be fatigued by it. I pretty much ignore it until I'm ready to join in.

We've done what we need to do over the last few months - made the cake, pudding and mincemeat, posted cards and presents - and I'm quite looking forward now to putting the decorations and lights up next weekend.

Witzend Tue 06-Dec-22 17:30:10

Strikes apart, everything seems to be arriving reasonably reliably here. I recently posted a big parcel via click and drop - it arrived 200 miles away 48 hours later.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 06-Dec-22 17:40:47

Christmas cards, well I have decided to tell people I am not sending any this year and probably never again. I have sent just about half a dozen to people I rarely see but keep in touch with. Instead I am going to donate a whole load of stuff to the food bank. We have lights and candles put up and a very small already decorated tree, also I have a stack of books waiting to be read so until mid Jan I am going to cosy down besides the log fire with a drink or two and just take it easy.

Callistemon21 Tue 06-Dec-22 17:56:27

merlotgran

I’ve made my first batch.

Eaten most of them. 😩

Well, I'm so CBB 🎄 that I bought some from M&S.

Not opened them yet.

Norah Tue 06-Dec-22 19:04:34

Can't be bothered with much apart from normal day to day life, dog walks, laundry. GGchildren gingerbread and biscuit baking.

We did order and deliver gifts, hang the garden lights, receive the advent wreaths, begin using Christmas crockery, linens - cozy home.

AreWeThereYet Tue 06-Dec-22 19:07:44

I have a stack of books waiting to be read so until mid Jan I am going to cosy down besides the log fire with a drink or two and just take it easy.

I expect we will be doing a lot of that as well, especially if the snow they're promising does arrive.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 06-Dec-22 19:30:08

Well snow is just the excuse we need

pinkprincess Tue 06-Dec-22 19:39:54

I cannot be bothered this year either

Ainee Thu 08-Dec-22 11:17:20

Just started snowing here on Fife

enabenn Thu 08-Dec-22 11:18:02

You are lucky that you have a big family and lots of events to attend. Lots of people out there with no family or friends. Count your blessings.

cc Thu 08-Dec-22 11:19:40

We've not done our cards yet, though I think that we will. Presents have been cut right back, a couple of things for each grandchild from their Christmas list, or a voucher for the older ones who prefer to choose for themselves. I no longer give presents to those outside our immediate family, other than my daughters foster children and ex-foster children.
I've felt like the OP for a while now, we don't do Christmas entertaining ourselves so won't be invited by others. Like most others in the UK we're not Christian so wonder why Christmas has become such a performance. Of course it's nice for those who are still working to have a break, but a whole week? DH and I used to have to work on Christmas Eve and go back on the day after Boxing Day.
I feel sad for those who have to work during this period whilst everyone else is off, it seems unfair, particularly for those who work in shops which really don't need to be open.

inishowen Thu 08-Dec-22 11:26:07

I felt like that last year. This year I feel OK. Last year I couldn't be bothered getting our Christmas plates and mugs out of the cupboard. This year they're out and being used. In my case I think its because our daughter is happy now after meeting a new man who is very kind to her.

AlisonKF Thu 08-Dec-22 11:31:40

When I asked about mincemeat in the village shop where I get all my food, the young assistant looked puzzled. Thought I was referring to beef mince I think. Had never heard of anyone making mince pies at home . I was only going to make them for myself. Really didn't bother in the end.

sweetcakes Thu 08-Dec-22 11:33:44

I can't be bothered as well. This year has been a thoroughly horrible year one illness after another and finishing off with Breast cancer which I had a second op on Monday! Thank heaven I'm going to our sons Christmas day and our daughters boxing day.

cc Thu 08-Dec-22 11:34:37

SueDonim

I’m in a similar state. We moved over the summer, downsized quite considerably, and whilst it’s been a good move, the house still isn’t sorted and everything I do is such an effort, with having to search for things all the time. I used to be organised with things like spare batteries, sellotape, scissors, envelopes, pens etc all in one place and now they’re scattered over three different rooms and I wander about trying to locate the wretched things. Same for the kitchen, which is about one third of my old one. I feel like I need to empty the house and start again and have it better organised! grin

I am fed up of wrapping presents and I haven’t made a cake for the first time in 50yrs and probably won’t make mince pies, either. Xmas pud is one that’s left over from last year. Christmas will happen, though, and I will enjoy it with my family, in the end.

Sorry if this appears twice, my last message vanished.

We're in the same state as you SueDonim, we downsized hugely and then had builders for months. We still have things in packed boxes but no more space to put things away.
I've got china, crystal and silverware which was mainly used in our enormous old dining room at Christmas, but hope to sell it all on EBay with my childrens' help.
Our Christmas tree is banished to the balcony to give us more room in our living room, no need to decorate other than lights as everything would simply blow off!

Supergranuation Thu 08-Dec-22 11:35:01

I find it strange that a couple of years ago during lock down so many people were up in arms, angry and depressed that they were not able to have parties, see loved ones, travel to see friends at Christmas and even willing to break the law to do so. Now that we can do those things people don't want to do it anyway.............. Very strange

Mamma7 Thu 08-Dec-22 11:46:13

Yes me too, thought it was just me - don’t feel sad or depressed either. Lots on before Christmas so just getting on with it and remembering to smile at everyone and remind myself I’m actually very, very fortunate.

rowyn Thu 08-Dec-22 11:49:04

\Ditto to most of these posts. I think it may partly be a delayed reaction to Lockdown, when we were isolated for so long.

Then look a the news - Ukraine, Putin, Death of the Queen, Megan and Harry stirring as violently as they possibly can, a seemingly orchestrated plan for our lives to be ruined by mass striking , and there's very little to look forward to but a lot to worry about.

On a lighter note - there's some irony here - I ordered my charity Christmas cards online and am still waiting for them to arrive. I've cut down on the number I'm posting though, which is usually around 45, and will use www.jacquielawson.com to send some of her animated and musical ones by email. It's relatively much cheaper and can include a short message.
I regret this, as I do think it's nice to have cards which can be on display, and which can be revisited after Christmas, but it's just a ridiculous cost.

leeds22 Thu 08-Dec-22 12:22:21

Me too. Can't be bothered. I've not made mince pies for the first time ever. Not even bought a Christmas cake, let alone made one. DH and I have bought a lovely sounding lemon Panattone. Christmas on our own this year, by choice, main course courtesy of M&S. Don't buy many Christmas presents as most of the GC want cash. But I have got the most expensive Christmas present ever, a new iPhone, my old one died.

Cagsy Thu 08-Dec-22 12:32:22

Opposite for me really, as usual we're hosting out whole family get together on 17th, about 30 of us. DD and family can't get here from Spain until Boxing Day now (if Border Force strikes allow) so have Christmas dinner for 8 on 25th and then all over again for 13 on 27th as my DGSs really want Christmas dinner with us all! It will be wonderful and I feel really grateful that I can do it but I do think it takes longer to recover the older you get, I'm 71, and I'll be working on 29th - from home so at least I don't have to go out in the cold. I dread the point at which I don't feel as though I can do it - or they don't all want to come anymore.
However you're spending it I hope you all find some joy, cheers wine

Spec1alk Thu 08-Dec-22 12:33:42

Nanna8 you have given me the perfect word to describe my feelings this December. Inert!! That’s just how I feel!