Gransnet forums

Chat

Cruel

(45 Posts)
bevisp1 Tue 06-Dec-22 09:37:23

I think it is so cruel about harry & meghan and their upcoming documentary on Netflix. Reading and seeing some of the things that are shown in the papers, trailers etc, yes I realise some papers may not be so accurate, or even what H&M have been saying, but netherless they are simply attacking our royal family, how can it ever be allowed. I won’t be watching this when it starts this week.

Grantanow Tue 06-Dec-22 12:40:28

Just another over-entitled couple of so-called celebrities cashing in. Netflix should kill the film.

Oreo Tue 06-Dec-22 13:29:57

Witzend

Me too, maytime2. IMO it’s both cruel and vindictive - not to mention making lots of lovely money for them.

I wish to goodness the pair of them would stop the ‘poor me!’ whining and get on with the ‘private life’ they have tried to kid us they want.

I won’t be watching or reading any of it.

Me too 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Oreo Tue 06-Dec-22 13:33:04

Blossoming

^Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world, but for Wales?^

Robert Bolt, A Man For All Seasons, based on a quote from the King James Bible. As that bible didn’t exist during Thomas More’s lifetime he couldn’t have been quoting it and I have no idea if it existed in any earlier Latin bibles.

It was a great line tho😄

eazybee Tue 06-Dec-22 13:38:17

But all the outrage they provoke means more publicity for Netflix and as long as they can make money from them they will keep them under contract, so it will get worse before it gets better.
I do wonder where it will end. The Sussex household can't be a comfortable place to be at present, and as for Christmas, no family and few friends. And Harry won't be allowed out to stalk a few deer and stand waist deep in freezing water. No fun at all.

Blossoming Tue 06-Dec-22 13:44:08

Yes Oreo it was a great line. The film version is a favourite of mine. Smileless the original King James Bible is a beautiful piece of writing. I’m an atheist but love the rich imagery. Sorry for side tracking but these things interest me.

I’m sure the title ‘A man for all seasons’ is a quote too, but I can’t think where from.

Judy54 Tue 06-Dec-22 13:52:32

I find it all very sad. At no time have H & M stated what outcome they are looking for and what they hope to achieve. A standard question at work if someone took out a grievance. Such a shame that they feel the need to air their dirty linen in public.

Alioop Tue 06-Dec-22 13:55:23

Big Brother is back in the New Year. I wonder are they looking any more fame hungry contestants looking to air their dirty laundry in public....

welbeck Tue 06-Dec-22 13:57:11

as an educated man, sir thomas more would have been well able to translate himself from the greek.
as to the 1611 Authorized Version, also known overseas as the King James bible, it used many phrases from Tyndale's translation, which was made in the time of thomas more.

lemsip Tue 06-Dec-22 14:12:47

HousePlantQueen

Remember that while the tabloids are whipping everyone up into a frenzy over this........people are still hungry, and cold, and can't get an ambulance.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/harry-meghan-netflix-new-trailer-documentary-series-launch-release-uk-bgdcvrpdh

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63861642Prince Harry speaks of the "leaking and... planting of stories" as part of a "dirty game" in a new trailer for the Harry and Meghan series on Netflix.
all over tv news,, in The Times and other broadsheets...

Not Tabloids

Elegran Tue 06-Dec-22 14:31:28

welbeck

as an educated man, sir thomas more would have been well able to translate himself from the greek.
as to the 1611 Authorized Version, also known overseas as the King James bible, it used many phrases from Tyndale's translation, which was made in the time of thomas more.

Thomas More himself referred to pre-Wycliff/Tyndale translations of the bible into English.

"Blessed Thomas More said, "The whole Bible long before Wyclifi's day (100 years before Tyndale lived) was translated into the English tongue, and by good and godly people with devotion and soberness well and reverently read" (Dialogues, 3)." www.catholicapologetics.info/scripture/translations/english.htm

Smileless2012 Tue 06-Dec-22 14:41:57

Yes, it is beautifully written Blossoming. Mr. S. loves the film too but I find the portrayal of More too 'nice'. He had 'heretics' burned at the stake and his own methods of drawing out 'confessions' for want of a more graphic description.

hmm the leaking and planting of stories is a dirty game, well he should know lemsip.

Witzend Tue 06-Dec-22 14:46:01

Judy54

I find it all very sad. At no time have H & M stated what outcome they are looking for and what they hope to achieve. A standard question at work if someone took out a grievance. Such a shame that they feel the need to air their dirty linen in public.

What they hope to achieve?? I should have thought that pretty obvious - millions of $$$ - and in Meghan’s case, I dare say, even more fame/publicity than she already possesses/generates.

Chestnut Tue 06-Dec-22 17:45:07

What they hope to achieve?? I should have thought that pretty obvious - millions of $$$ - and in Meghan’s case, I dare say, even more fame/publicity than she already possesses/generates.
It seems that way. She seems to looks back on anyone and anything from her past with distain. Remember when she whinged about her time on that game show and how they treated her with disrespect. The other girls said that was utter tosh, they refuted her claims and said they were looked after on the show. Yet again more lies.

It's as if she is ashamed of her past and wants to completely remove herself from anything she did before she met Harry. That is when she became a VIP and an A Lister and expected everyone to dance to her tune from then on.

Blossoming Tue 06-Dec-22 17:57:56

Yes, I understand that Welbeck but am not sure if the phrase as quoted existed. I did however find that Erasmus referred to More as ‘a man for all seasons’.

Smileless I studied the play at school and was quite shocked years later on learning of his persecution of ‘heretics’. Not so nice as painted. He pursued Tyndale relentlessly, how hypocritical if, as Elegran says, he made use of Tyndale’s bible.

Elegran Tue 06-Dec-22 18:39:38

What I quoted, Blossoming, was already a quote on a website called catholicapologetics. The bit in brackets (I have put it in bold below here) may be from Thomas More, or it may be a comment added by the website, so More may have been referring to Tyndale's translation, or he may not have mentioned him at all in this excerpt. Maybe hypocritical, maybe not.

"Blessed Thomas More said, "The whole Bible long before Wyclifi's day (100 years before Tyndale lived) was translated into the English tongue, and by good and godly people with devotion and soberness well and reverently read"

Lathyrus Tue 06-Dec-22 19:10:11

Blossoming

^Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world, but for Wales?^

Robert Bolt, A Man For All Seasons, based on a quote from the King James Bible. As that bible didn’t exist during Thomas More’s lifetime he couldn’t have been quoting it and I have no idea if it existed in any earlier Latin bibles.

The Great English Bible was commissioned by Henry VIII in 1539 and did contain words to that effect - not the Wales bit obviously and couched in rather more archaic language than in the play.

Lathyrus Tue 06-Dec-22 19:33:45

For what shall it profit a man, yf he wynne the world and lose his awne soule or what shall a man geue to redeme hys soule withal agayne.

Great Bible Mark 8:36,37

Just thought it was interesting 🙂

Cherrytree59 Tue 06-Dec-22 19:51:45

😪

Deedaa Tue 06-Dec-22 20:02:07

So Harry claims the Palace were "planting" stories about him and his wife but is apparently happy with Netflix using film of the crowds at a Harry Potter premiere which he didn't even attend. Presumably this is his idea of "authenticity" and "telling our own truth"?