Gransnet forums

Chat

At this time of the year ... anyone else fancying a glass of sherry before dinner?

(171 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 06-Dec-22 16:45:49

I always forget there are a few to choose from! My mum always bought Harvey’s Bristol Cream. Sticky, warming and always reminds me of eating out (very occasionally) when we fist got married in 1974 - ordering a ‘schooner’ of it! Then along came drier Croft Original, kept in the fridge. I’ve enjoyed a very dry glass of fino in a bodega in Málaga with the locals but never over here for some reason. I always stick to wine or a G&T.

Time for a seasonal change I think.
Will you join me?
😊

Skydancer Tue 06-Dec-22 16:51:21

Most definitely! I've got a bottle of Harvey's on the sideboard. Just waiting for DH to pour me a glass once football finishes. But then again, I might have a Bailey's. However a change to something completely different would be nice. I do admit that when I go to a pub I don't know what a lot of the drinks in bottles actually are as there seem to be so many. Let's have some recommendations....

GrannyGravy13 Tue 06-Dec-22 16:51:58

My late Mum loved sherry, I think it was living in Spain for many years.

My sister and daughter have carried on the tradition in December sherry is definitely a pre dinner aperitif.

Daisymae Tue 06-Dec-22 16:54:37

Yes for sure! Bought a bottle of Palo Cortado recently and a bottle of Adnams cream sherry for a change today. Goes well with a mince pie 🥧. Cheers!

Blossoming Tue 06-Dec-22 16:55:45

Crofts for me Urmstongran, not keen on the sweeter ones.

Greenfinch Tue 06-Dec-22 16:57:14

I haven’t had sherry for ages but you have persuaded me to get some! I love Harvey’s Bristol Cream. Does anyone know of anywhere it is on offer?

Jaxjacky Tue 06-Dec-22 16:59:26

Pastis here in the summer, otherwise wine. Sherry always reminds me of my Mum’s trifle, in a good way.

Grandmadinosaur Tue 06-Dec-22 16:59:32

Most definitely. We love a sherry. I prefer a cream sherry.
In winter we often have one around this time of day at the weekends. The selection in the supermarkets in Spain amazes me. I’d love to be able to work through them!

Cheers Urms

MawtheMerrier Tue 06-Dec-22 17:00:05

Don’t mind if I do!

lixy Tue 06-Dec-22 17:01:03

Croft for me please - we used to drink it with my aunt when we played Rummy; somehow she always won!

Anyone else have a phase of drinking Snowballs? Can't imagine having anything so sweet now.

And Somerset apple brandy for after dinner please.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Dec-22 17:01:11

My mother always drank sherry before dinner. Always Manzanilla of choice or fino if she couldn’t have Manzanilla.

I don’t mind sherry, but it isn’t really my choice of drink.

sparkly1000 Tue 06-Dec-22 17:01:40

Fond memories of being allowed a sip of my Mum’s Croft original on a Christmas morning.

It’s now a family tradition with my grandchildren.

kittylester Tue 06-Dec-22 17:01:58

DH enjoys a very dry sherry, kept in the fridge, served over ice with a slice of orange.

A very long time ago, a friend and I drank a bottle between us one night - I've never been able to look at sherry in the same light since!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Dec-22 17:06:16

kittylester

DH enjoys a very dry sherry, kept in the fridge, served over ice with a slice of orange.

A very long time ago, a friend and I drank a bottle between us one night - I've never been able to look at sherry in the same light since!

Yes mum always kept her sherry in the fridge, but nothing so modern as a slice of orange😮.

Urmstongran Tue 06-Dec-22 17:07:07

Cheers ladies! Good to have you join me. 😁

Actually upon thinking about alcohol it can be my NY resolution! “Must try different drinks”. hic!

I always seem to choose wine (red, white or pink I like them all) or a crisp G&T (love Hendricks with a slice of cucumber or Tanqueray). Champagne of course very occasionally. But there’s so much else on offer!

Bet this is one NYR I could stick to hehe!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Dec-22 17:08:38

Plymouth gin for me.

volver Tue 06-Dec-22 17:10:02

We did a tour of one of the sherry bodegas in Jerez. Tio Pepe maybe? There was a wine tasting at the end and nobody fancied the "real" sherry, they all preferred the Bristol Cream. So DH and I had their shares of PX and Palo Cortado.

Now that was a night... 🤣

Kate1949 Tue 06-Dec-22 17:10:52

I haven't drunk sherry for years but I like it. I remember in the 70s ordering a schooner of sherry in the pub.

Urmstongran Tue 06-Dec-22 17:11:57

Ha volver you both did well there! Bet you couldn’t believe your luck.
😂

Urmstongran Tue 06-Dec-22 17:13:45

Maybe, thanks to GN, there’ll be a sherry shortage reported soon! Change from eggs and loo rolls anyway. 🎄

MrsKen33 Tue 06-Dec-22 17:13:55

My aunt loves Sherry so we buy a bottle when she comes to stay. Now and then we use up the remains. Cheers everyone. Let’s start as we mean to go on.🍷🍷🍷🍷

volver Tue 06-Dec-22 17:13:57

Hic 🍾 🍷

M0nica Tue 06-Dec-22 17:14:06

Ok for cooking, but i would never choose to drink sherry, and either sweet and claggy or like drinking vinegar.

Callistemon21 Tue 06-Dec-22 17:15:19

Just on Sundays!

Tio Pepe - very dry and chilled.

Urmstongran Tue 06-Dec-22 17:15:35

Couldn’t you invite her every month MrsKen? 😆