Gransnet forums

Chat

At this time of the year ... anyone else fancying a glass of sherry before dinner?

(172 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 06-Dec-22 16:45:49

I always forget there are a few to choose from! My mum always bought Harvey’s Bristol Cream. Sticky, warming and always reminds me of eating out (very occasionally) when we fist got married in 1974 - ordering a ‘schooner’ of it! Then along came drier Croft Original, kept in the fridge. I’ve enjoyed a very dry glass of fino in a bodega in Málaga with the locals but never over here for some reason. I always stick to wine or a G&T.

Time for a seasonal change I think.
Will you join me?
😊

Aveline Sun 18-Dec-22 17:38:41

Cheers annesixty!

annsixty Sun 18-Dec-22 12:47:08

After reading this thread I realised I hadn’t had a sherry for years so I put two bottles on my Sainsbury’s order,
It has arrived and been put away and now I am going to sit down with a glass of Oloroso before I do anymore chores.
What a treat and a rather odd thing to do on Sunday .

Urmstongran Fri 16-Dec-22 16:54:14

I ❤️ that this thread has had so much interest!
Thank you everyone for joining in and “Merry” 🎄 to one and all. 🍷
😊

Yammy Thu 15-Dec-22 17:40:37

Peaseblossom

I hate it. Gives me awful heartburn, as does all spirits/alcohol. I have a hiatus hernia, but even before that it did the same.

So have I Peaseblossom and it doesn't make a good mixer with Gaviscon and omeprazole does it. I have to let the tonic go flat or stir the odd Champagne I have.confused

rubysong Wed 14-Dec-22 20:46:10

Our little walking group met this afternoon and after a walk around the village we were invited back to one member's house. We had a lovely glass of sherry, then a home made mince pie and a cup of tea around a cosy fire. Lovely!

Beechnut Wed 14-Dec-22 17:38:33

I think I’ll pour one before I settle down to watch Kirstie on catch up.

Cheers everybody 🍷

Yammy Wed 14-Dec-22 16:46:32

DH and DD are the sherry drinkers in our house can I swap mine for a glass of vintage port please then I would love to join in.

Claretjan Wed 14-Dec-22 16:32:40

annodomini

Amontillado. Not too dry and not too sweet. Just right. Alternatively, Oloroso which is a bit sweeter, has more 'body. I used to like Fino, but for that I need a seat in a bar in Andalucia on a warm, still evening.

Same for me. I like Sainbury's amontillado but a chilled fino isn't the same on a chilly night in Scotland!

BigBertha1 Wed 14-Dec-22 14:55:10

I'm really a gin drinker but at this time of year I do like a dry sherry - usually Croft but I bought one in Waitrose that looks nice. It will probably go in a trifle too. Sometimes are a cold walk I do like a Scotch and ginger not the Masters' single malt just a blended one.

Aveline Wed 14-Dec-22 13:14:30

I impulsively had a large glass of Bailey's last night. Thoroughly and unexpectedly enjoyed it!

Jodieb Tue 13-Dec-22 16:15:37

HB often uses sherry to add to cooking meals.

Aldi's sherries are good.

Jodieb Tue 13-Dec-22 16:09:54

Try Bols cacao chocolate flavour in clear or brown for a more bitter flavour. I searched for years to find it and heyho it's on amazon.

LauraNorderr Sat 10-Dec-22 15:05:52

Cheers Urms

Nannytopsy Sat 10-Dec-22 13:55:07

Following my mum’s and dad’s tradition, we are a family of sherry drinkers! Usually an amontillado before dinner every evening. They had theirs at lunchtime and mum had it in her care home too!

ParlorGames Sat 10-Dec-22 13:17:01

Searching through the drinks cupboard yesterday I discovered a bottle of sherry, about a quarter full. "Oh, good" says Mr P, "enough for the Christmas trifle". Not knowing how long it had been lurking in the cupboard I decided to try it last evening....need to buy another bottle. wine cheers GNetters.

NanaPlenty Sat 10-Dec-22 13:13:06

Ooh lovely - Harvey’s Bristol cream would be my choice. My late father in law would always pour me one in a wine glass! Must be the time of year I had a couple of glasses last night…. Cheers everybody 😊

Witzend Sat 10-Dec-22 08:50:33

LadyHonoriaDedlock, a niece and her dh used to run a lovely pub, where he was the chef. One of their regulars (they had a lot of regulars) used to ask for a super-size prawn cocktail as a main dish.
Chef eventually decided to put ‘main’ prawn cocktail on the menu - it was very popular!

Callistemon21 Fri 09-Dec-22 19:19:21

I forgot
Again!!

Witzend Fri 09-Dec-22 19:14:00

I’m having one now. Feeling quite festive since today we’ve bought the tree, I finished all my non-food Christmas shopping, and I’ve just made my pigs in blankets - with Carols from King’s on YouTube. So cheers, everybody. 🍷🎄🎅🏻

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 09-Dec-22 10:39:02

What's this time of year got to do with it?

Ah yes, a Berni Inn for prawn cocktail, a steak and a schooner of sherry. How terribly 1970s!

I haven't drunk sherry for many years now. I was partial to Croft Original at one time. I'm more a G&T girl these days.

rubysong Fri 09-Dec-22 09:46:34

A nice, largish, glass of Croft is very pleasant. Slightly off topic, we had a bottle of Madeira from 1972, the year we were married. We have transported it from house house and finally opened and drunk it to celebrate our golden anniversary this summer. I then googled the label and found it on one wine merchant's website with a £300 price tag! We would never have sold it though, it was always for our golden anniversary. It was nice!

Rosiebee Fri 09-Dec-22 09:31:37

My dear mum always loved a sherry. In her last year's she had dreadful Rheumatoid Arthritis and always had her sherry in a small brandy glass which was the only glass she could hold securely. Almost 30 years on, I use the same glass, slightly chipped now, to have my sherry "with mum" as I'm cooking the Sunday dinner. Always an Amontillado with a Pedro Ximanez at Christmas - as recommended by Delia.

GrauntyHelen Fri 09-Dec-22 01:48:33

Sherry is very much part of Christmas for me -Never any other time of year though

grannybuy Fri 09-Dec-22 00:28:32

Last weekend, I put a mixture of manzanilla and amaretto in a bowl so that DGD could feed the Christmas cakes. I have to admit that I drank what was left from the dish!

grannybuy Fri 09-Dec-22 00:18:55

Either manzanilla or fino for me.