Gransnet forums

Chat

Unconscious bias

(103 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Fri 09-Dec-22 15:48:12

I'm finding it difficult to understand all this talk of unconscious bias and white privilege. Surely if it's unconscious you can't be condemned for it or for being born white.
I'm sure everyone has an unconscious reaction ,positive or negative ,to everyone else. As long as we are polite and treat everyone fairly does it matter what out first unconscious reaction may have been?
By delving into a prejudice and trying not to be racist are we not just emphasising the supposed racism around us ? Positive discrimination has the opposite effect.

Wyllow3 Sun 11-Dec-22 18:21:18

Yes. Listen to others: if we find we have maybe been racist, then rather than be defensive, embrace the information, and seek to find out more, and try to change. Its a lifetime's journey.

GagaJo Sun 11-Dec-22 18:29:10

Wyllow3

Yes. Listen to others: if we find we have maybe been racist, then rather than be defensive, embrace the information, and seek to find out more, and try to change. Its a lifetime's journey.

Exactly. We all have a bias. I had to confront a lot about myself when I first got married to a non-white person. And again when I had a child. It was a lot to take on board. But there was no other way than to confront it head on.