Gransnet forums

Chat

All New Night Owls šŸ¦‰šŸŒ™ ā˜•ļø

(284 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 02-Jan-23 05:51:52

Hello smile
We havenā€™t had a Night Owls thread for ages, so I thought Iā€™d start one.
I know that there are quite a few of us about in the wee small hours, and it can be a lonely time.
So here it is.
I look forward to chatting in the nights and weeks to come x

Mollygo Sat 07-Jan-23 03:02:35

Well itā€™s the 7th now so good morning all. A friend sent me an ā€˜only 50 weeks till Christmasā€™ gif. I laughed because it was a funny pic and because thatā€™s a comfortable distance.
One of my sisters, visiting Ireland at the moment mentioned that she was picking up some nice little gifts for next Christmas -grrr!

Cs783 Sat 07-Jan-23 03:12:34

Morning Mollygo Some people just love Christmas prep donā€™t they šŸ˜® šŸ˜† Iā€™m only a little bit ahead of the seasons, enjoying indoor flowering plants at the moment. The hyacinths are at their peak, the flowering cactus will be next.

Kim19 Sat 07-Jan-23 03:46:21

Morning all NOs! Just enjoying seeing my gift drawer completely empty with no potential recipients in the immediate future. Lovely! Wherever possible, I plan to give gifts of time and social occasions this year rather than material objects. 'Stuff' for children only methinks. Anyway.... that's the current plan! I've just finished watching a Madame Le Blanc episode. Gentle viewing and now being filmed in Gozo I believe. A place where I spent many happy hours and days when stationed in Malta as a Jenny Wren. Wonderful..... I'll just carry on with my reminisce now and perhaps sleep will take over.

FannyCornforth Sat 07-Jan-23 03:50:25

Good morning all!
Kim, itā€™s really nice to see you again

MrsKen33 Sat 07-Jan-23 04:21:10

Morning everyone. Lashing with rain here and I can hear the sea boilingā€¦ well thatā€™s what it sounds like.
Just been reading Maggie Oā€™Farrells ā€˜Hamnetā€™ but Iā€™ve had to stop as it is so sad and so beautifully written.
Have a good day everyone.

Alioop Sat 07-Jan-23 04:31:42

Morning to you all. My friend is nuts about Christmas and if she finds a shop selling anything to do with it she's there like a shot, even in July she would be filling a basket. We buy each other a new bauble every year, last year she bought me four, the tree is getting so full now. Mollygo I hope your sister has an umbrella with her as I've lay listening to the rain hammering down all night here in N.Ireland, but hopefully where she is it isn't as bad.
Right going to have another go at this sleep business. Have a lovely Saturday, whatever you are up to.

MrsKen33 Mon 09-Jan-23 03:46:16

Monday morning and I have been awake since 2 oā€™ clock. Given up trying to sleep for a while. I have had three reasonable nights in a row now this. I wonder why. .
Anyway good morning to anyone awake. .

Nana3 Tue 10-Jan-23 02:32:37

Hello to anyone awake. I have to be up at 8 o'clock tomorrow, what's the betting I'll have no trouble sleeping then.

Alioop Tue 10-Jan-23 04:32:05

Morning. I've my alarm set and I know I'll fall asleep half an hour before it goes off. I hate nights like this although the culprit for this one is the dentist later.

lixy Tue 10-Jan-23 04:47:01

Hello all
wide awake here thanks to needing to fill in some forms later today, though my G'ma would blame it on the cheese sandwich I had for tea. No cheese after lunch was her rule!
Hope the dentist visit goes well Alioop.

MrsKen33 Tue 10-Jan-23 04:49:56

Good morning everyone. I have been awake for an hour just writing stories in my head. No sign of sleep so thought to say hello. Quiet day today as it is supposed to be very wet again. I have a book to finish reading for book club, otherwise nothing pressing.

Alioop Tue 10-Jan-23 05:26:07

Thank you lixy'good luck with forms.
I've been thinking about getting up, but the house feels so chilly. We had the road gritters out last night so they must of been expecting low temperatures.

NotAGran55 Tue 10-Jan-23 05:54:10

Morning all. One of those restless nights where you think you havenā€™t been fully asleep. I used to have a rule that I wouldnā€™t look at my iPad until 0530 but let that slip before Christmas but must get back to it as I think it does make a difference.

Iā€™m doing an extra shift at the food bank today as we are inundated with donations. The generosity is overwhelming but it all needs to sorted and stored.

Have a good day early šŸ¦ šŸ¦…

Gymstagran Fri 13-Jan-23 05:01:00

Wide awake, wind is howling. I have new 24 hour antihistamine which worked yesterday but hasn't quite lasted, so snuffling and sneezing. Hopefully, the medication will last longer when I've taken it for a few days. Shopping delivery between nine and ten by which time I will probably be asleep. I must set my alarm. I hope there is a break in the rain so that I can get a walk outside yesterday was not stop rain. I am going to try reading my book and see if I can doze off.

MrsKen33 Fri 13-Jan-23 05:37:03

Windy but a little calmer here now.Though the wind and rain woke me twice in the night. Supposed to be a reasonable day here today. We need to prune our fig tree so who knows. Rain free we might. Have a nice soothing day everyone

Mollygo Fri 13-Jan-23 09:56:52

Wow! That was a windy night. We are now albeit temporarily, the proud owners of a fence panel, an inverted trampoline and the roof of a Wendy house.

Georgesgran Sun 15-Jan-23 02:55:48

Big mistake to have an early night - Iā€™ve had my 5 hours and wide awake now, watching Sherlock Holmes. At least the antibiotics for my cystitis appear to be working, for which Iā€™m grateful.
Itā€™s horrendously windy - quite worrying as this time last year I lost half a dozen ridge tiles.
Will wrap up and try to nod off.

FannyCornforth Sun 15-Jan-23 03:01:32

Hello GeorgesGran itā€™s ridiculously windy here too. All the birds in the nearby woods are all squawking and tweeting and what have you. Itā€™s really weird

FannyCornforth Sun 15-Jan-23 03:02:38

Iā€™m pleased to hear that the abs are doing the business. Cystitis is the most horrible feeling

Alioop Sun 15-Jan-23 03:23:05

It is pouring down with rain here, it's lashing against the window. The wind seems to of eased though, it was mad before bed, the dog bolted back in after her final loo break.
Finger's crossed GG the cystitis will be completely away in the next couple of days. It's a hateful thing to have.

MrsKen33 Sun 15-Jan-23 03:36:41

I really sympathise with you over the cystitisGG and really hope it goes completely very soon.
Very windy here and noisy too as we can hear the crash of the waves against the breakwaters. Still I did notice yesterday it was a fraction lighter in the morning. Have a restful day everyone

Kim19 Sun 15-Jan-23 03:42:59

Hello folks. Just lying here cosy as can be and enjoying the awareness that the wind is calming down. I'll investigate any potential damage much later. Think one of my old established shrubs has been ripped from the wall. Hope your cystitis clears up soon GG. Horrible thing but I used to find the abs kicked in pretty quickly. Hope so. I'm off to do some tv catch up which may well lull me back to sleep.

MayBee70 Sun 15-Jan-23 04:34:26

No wind here tonight. It has kept me awake fir the last few nights. Currently watching a programme about Suede on Sky Arts. I used to try to get to sleep when BBC4 finished but unfortunately Sky Arts is 24/7 and I always seem to switch over when something good is on and I donā€™t have Sky catchup. When I do get to sleep Iā€™ll have weird vivid dreams. The dog will want her breakfast at 8 but we then go back to sleep. Iā€™ve always been pretty nocturnal but itā€™s getting worse.

Georgesgran Mon 16-Jan-23 03:11:59

Off to bed now and just popped in to say good night and also thank those kind GNā€™s who commented on my cystitis - one more dose of antibiotic in the morning, then I should be good to go.
Hope everyone has a peaceful night. X

Ginny42 Mon 16-Jan-23 03:34:31

Been awake since 1.30 which is a bit early for me as it's usually around 3.00. Read all the news then started on a spelling bee. Trying to reach Genius, but it's just not happening tonight. Decided to have a nice shower and get back into a warm bed and will read until I nod off. Hope no one is awake with discomfort or feeling unwell. Cystitis is awful, glad it's cleared up GG and hope that you're now sleeping soundly.