Gransnet forums

Chat

Sweets

(129 Posts)
1987H2001M2002Inanny Wed 25-Jan-23 12:40:41

On reading a post a few days ago when someone mentioned gentian violet(was this used for bee stings?) it reminded me of the sweets purple violets.I found them discusting.I think I probably tried all other sweets in the shop,and have the teeth fillings to prove it!! Any you particularly hated or were a favourite?

Alioop Wed 25-Jan-23 21:53:43

You can Crispets online at Toffeeworld

gulligranny Wed 25-Jan-23 22:12:53

There was a "proper" sweetshop near where I lived as a child which I'm sure sold beautiful little shiny sweeties called Satin Cushions. They were an odd shape (like cushions?) and in the loveliest colours like lime green, pink, mauve and lemon yellow but I've never met anyone who's also heard of them... did I dream them?

Zoejory Wed 25-Jan-23 22:21:47

Spanish Gold. Adored it.

pinkquartz Wed 25-Jan-23 22:25:08

I also loved Crispets.

Tiny bits of coconut in cheap tasting chocolate. I think they were

Graso Wed 25-Jan-23 22:27:58

Coltsfoot rock

Yammy Wed 25-Jan-23 22:39:55

I was the one who mentioned Gentian violet they did put it on stings and yesterday someone mentioned a yellow cream that dyed your skin I think it was called Acriflavian jelly. I was sent to school with my top lip covered in it,I had run into my mum who was caring the teapot and scalded my lip.My friends laughed at me and said it was fried egg.
I loved Liquorice torpedoes and liquorice tablets. Pine apple chunks.
Rhubarb and custards. I loved something we called Kalli don't know how it is spelt but we went with threepence and got kalii and a stick of Spanish{Liquorice.] it used to slit your tongue if you ate too much.A sort of perfumed crystals,
Mars bars and Toblerone in a big disk at Christmas.
My gran loved Parma violets and midget gems tiny perfumed gums .
Edinborough Rock which hurt your fillings. When I was small in the early 50s we still talked about getting Sweet rations, we always went to the same shop and got a few things when doing the weekend shopping.

Alioop Thu 26-Jan-23 05:57:47

gullygranny I remember Satin Cushions, very sweet, but the colours were lovely.

watermeadow Thu 26-Jan-23 18:18:13

When I was 11 we moved to that foreign country called North. They spoke a foreign language where sweets were called toffees and toffees were called caramels. On bonfire night they ate horrible strongly-flavoured treacle toffee. Mary Berry must be northern because she likes black treacle in everything.

Beautful Thu 26-Jan-23 18:23:25

Anyone remember liquorice sticks ? They were like twigs, chewed them , so you got all the liquorice flavour, although didn't swallow I am sure ... loved these

RobertaDanversWalker Thu 26-Jan-23 18:29:29

I used to love Spangles and Fry's Five Boys.

B9exchange Thu 26-Jan-23 18:37:49

Callard and Bowser's Creamline toffees, my grandmother kept a jar of them!

Juliet27 Thu 26-Jan-23 18:40:55

Funnily enough, when I put on a coat today that I hadn’t worn for ages, I found a tiny packet of Parma Violets in a pocket - lovely!!

Kate1949 Thu 26-Jan-23 18:44:18

I loved jap desserts too.

Greyduster Thu 26-Jan-23 18:56:26

Rum truffles, coconut ice, sherbet lemons. Fry’s cream filled bars, Doncaster butterscotch (my father used to bring it back from the races for me).

1987H2001M2002Inanny Thu 26-Jan-23 19:52:55

Yes I loved horlicks tabs and spangles. I wish they still made Banjo and Hazel Cup.Little grandson showed us where his Mum and Dad keep there secret stash of sweets this afternoo so we raided the tin,oops!!

Redrobin51 Thu 26-Jan-23 21:01:17

Someone has opened an "old fashioned " sweet shop in our town and I can now get many of the sweets mentioned. I get coconut mushrooms for my husband and honeycomb for my friend. I loved the pineapple cubes and cherry lips. I will have to see whether she can get the Parmalat violets. Yummy.

Zoejory Thu 26-Jan-23 21:06:06

My little village sweet shop also sold fabulous penny sweets My favourites of those were rather large, flattened marshmallow in the shape of a strawberry with bright red sugary dusting. There was also a hard green sweet being the hull. Just delicious.

Granmarderby10 Thu 26-Jan-23 21:22:04

I loved kali(sp?) it came in a paper bag with a flat lollipop, but haven’t see it anywhere. Perhaps it was banned because it “split” your 👅 but I much preferred it to a sherbet fountain they always made me sneeze!.
I miss Toffee Treats, Weekend, Mint Cracknel and the Lime Barrel in boxes of milk chocolates.

Granmarderby10 Thu 26-Jan-23 21:35:48

watermeadow I adore treacle toffee but apart from a Thorntons shop it is hard to find these days.
I was disappointed that M&S sell all things Bonfire Night/ Halloween but not the treacle toffee. It has gone the way of Traditional Christmas Pudding or cake and been replaced with “softie”caramels😢

nanna8 Thu 26-Jan-23 22:08:16

I used to like sherbet lemons and the original Duncan’s walnut whips. We once came all the way over to London, full of expectation, only to find they didn’t have them anymore. We got some from M and S but they weren’t quite the same.

gulligranny Thu 26-Jan-23 22:12:31

Alioop, thank you - I'm so glad I'm not the only one to have remembered Satin Cushions. I'm sure you're right in that they were very sweet, but I think I probably played with them rather than ate them, they would have been great with my dolls' tea set!

glammagran Thu 26-Jan-23 22:21:43

I liked flying saucers, pear drops and cubed orange sweets called cough candy which had a faintly medicinal taste. Lord knows why - I’ve hated sweets ever since my teens.

Yammy Thu 26-Jan-23 22:31:05

Granmarderby10

I loved kali(sp?) it came in a paper bag with a flat lollipop, but haven’t see it anywhere. Perhaps it was banned because it “split” your 👅 but I much preferred it to a sherbet fountain they always made me sneeze!.
I miss Toffee Treats, Weekend, Mint Cracknel and the Lime Barrel in boxes of milk chocolates.

I like Kali better than sherbet as well it did make you sneeze.
I have often wondered what kali was it was in a jar and rainbow-coloured.
Just thought of another Lucky bags one of my relis brought up in London and calls them Jamboree bags. They had a selection of small sweets and a plastic toy I also wanted the red plastic lips. We noticed when the local sweet shop ladies GD came to stay all the good plastic toys, especially the lips had been substituted she had been in the packets.

IrishDancing Thu 26-Jan-23 22:43:11

I love treacle toffee, my absolute favourite but hard to find.

Lexisgranny Thu 26-Jan-23 22:52:05

I remember kali too. We used to buy it from an elderly lady who had converted her front room into a little shop, she weighed it out into a little bag and we ate it by licking our forefinger so that the sugary powder stuck to it. We weren’t supposed to buy it (teeth related) but we’re always given away by the yellow finger, which was reminiscent of nicotine. She also sold it in tablet form - it was supposed to be used for making lemonade, but we ate it, and convinced ourselves that it made our ears fuzz.

I preferred chocolates to sweets, apart from Callard and Bowser products, and old English Spangles. I liked White Heather, and Lucky numbers. Cadbury’s Milk Tray was also sold ‘loose’, but you never got more than one of my favourite nougat and I didn’t have them very often. A Mars bar was often cut up in slices and shared

The flat brown Victory V Lozenges were supposed to ease toothache,they seemed to numb the gum - a remedy much called for after all that sugar rush.