Gransnet forums

Chat

Plants that go wild

(105 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 26-Jan-23 02:37:23

I’m not talking about weeds but actual plants that almost become weeds . For us it is agapanthus ( which are actually classed as a weed in some parts of Australia) montbretias - just pulled out dozens of them, and that rotten tradescantia . Not to mention ivy and periwinkle and lemon balm which seems to be able to pop up just about anywhere, even in the garden waste. I wouldn’t mind the lemon balm so much but it gets very leggy and domineering.

Callistemon21 Mon 30-Jan-23 12:40:14

I suppose if someone has half an acre or so it's fine but if it's a small suburban garden some control needs to be taken.

I remember working very hard in our garden before MIL came to stay once, she had a wander around, nodded approvingly and said "I like a bit of a wild garden" 😁

The worst thing, I find, is the mat-like lesser trefoil which does smother a lawn and stops any other prettier lawn weeds growing. I used to sit with a fork and trowel, getting it out but can't be bothered now.

Bindweed is a nuisance too because it strangles everything and the roots are difficult to get out.

Magrithea Mon 30-Jan-23 12:59:01

Feverfew and foxgloves which self seed all over the place. Mind you, they do make a pretty display in early summer. Also Aqualegia - I've got a bag full of seed and sprinkled loads more as I pulled out last year's dead ones!

Diggingdoris Tue 31-Jan-23 16:41:43

I forgot to mention celandines. I've just spent an afternoon bagging up leaves to make mulch, and on looking round the borders I thought 'What on earth is that covering almost the whole 3ft width'? Then I realised that the 3 small clumps I planted 2 years ago had spread like mad through the winter. I admit they are lovely when they bloom, but blimey they take over!

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 17:20:30

I've given up with celandines in the lawn, Diggingdoris, I just leave them to flower with a splash of yellow each spring then they die back. However, I do try to dig them out of the borders, not easy.

Good name for this thread, btw 🙂