Gransnet forums

Chat

Biscuits

(41 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 29-Jan-23 13:28:10

We’ve had a lovely nostalgic sweetie thread so now remember the biscuits from your childhood.
I remember pink wafers and party rings, iced gems and Kit Kats. I think these are all still sold.
I was a greedy child and remember vividly my first Wagon Wheel, which seemed as big as a tea plate.

nadateturbe Mon 30-Jan-23 23:03:16

Another Gypsy creams fan. Also Kimberley marshmallow and Ginger creams. Think that's what you were thinking of 1Summer.

Nannytopsy Mon 30-Jan-23 23:45:21

Barmouth biscuits! Like round langes du chat

peli Wed 01-Feb-23 01:04:19

BlueBelle: I remember Dads Cookies.

crazyH Wed 01-Feb-23 01:05:31

Plain Digestives

Alioop Wed 01-Feb-23 05:30:45

Mikados were one of my favourites as a child and I had a certain way to eat one to try to make it last longer. I still remember the advert for Kimberly, Mikado and Coconut Creams.

MrsKen33 Wed 01-Feb-23 05:59:40

Fig rolls, Nice or shortbread. Never fail.

Yammy Wed 01-Feb-23 09:26:53

Joseanne

Lemon puffs.
And fly biscuits, 🪰 (I think they were garibaldis).

My father always called Garibaldi biscuits where flies go in winter, also the local speciality currant cake small squares of pastry packed with currants. My mum bought Fig rolls because she was the only one who liked them. I loved Abbey crunch and Kitkats.

nadateturbe Wed 01-Feb-23 09:37:07

Thanks Alioop I couldn't remember Mikado.

Marydoll Wed 01-Feb-23 11:05:50

nadateturbe

Thanks Alioop I couldn't remember Mikado.

Mikado are still available in Home Bargains and B&M.

Teacheranne Wed 01-Feb-23 14:22:39

My auntie worked at the Mcvities factory in Manchester and used to buy the broken biscuits for us, I used to look forward to her weekly visit to see what chocolate ones she had!

LadyHonoriaDedlock Wed 01-Feb-23 15:05:54

McVities Ginger Nuts before they changed the recipe and made them softer and more likely to crumble into your tea when you dunked them.

Huntley & Palmer's Lemon Puffs – the most exquisite of biscuits; I never did understand why they were discontinued.

I seldom buy biscuits any more and when I do it will be when I am expecting company and they will be quality ones, Dark Chocolate Gingers and Sultana Melts from Border Biscuits of Lanark or (be still my beating heart!) Lemon Melts and Apple Crumbles by the Island Bakery of Tobermory– this isn't out of snobbery or even loyalty to my adopted country but because I know if I buy any biscuits for myself I will eat them in short order.

My philosophy these days is less but of better quality of things that are bad for me. The upside is that I find I actually want less of the quality product. Just as I can scoff a whole packet of custard creams, if I buy myself a Galaxy bar as I used to almost daily I can't just eat a few squares and put it aside, it has to be the whole bar. I know what it is, it's the sugar not the chocolate that is "moreish" (ie addictive) and if I buy myself a box of 14 Hotel Chocolat 70% batons I can easily restrict myself to one a day, so that works out a lot cheaper than a Galaxy bar a day. Same with cheese, to which I actually have a slight intolerance. I no longer buy mousetrap unless I want it for cooking because I'll happily nibble away at it until it's gone, but if I treat myself very occasionally to a small amount of something exotically pungent from Mr Mellis's or Mr Mew's empororia that will make me very content!

Blossoming Wed 01-Feb-23 15:14:13

Hampden wafers

nadateturbe Thu 02-Feb-23 04:11:47

Thanks Marydoll.

Alioop Thu 02-Feb-23 15:13:34

Well Marydoll guess who went to Home Bargains today and arrived home with Jam Mallows that are the same as Mikados. Many thanks for letting me know.
nadateturbe get yourself down to your nearest H.B's and then get the kettle on.

PinkCosmos Thu 02-Feb-23 15:22:41

Does anyone remember Dundee biscuits. They were round shortbread type biscuits with chocolate on one side. You could buy them in packets of four I think.

I always used to have them as a treat after we had been to the local swimming baths.

Haven't seen them for years