Gransnet forums

Chat

The seven deadly sins, which is the worst?

(50 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sun 29-Jan-23 14:02:24

A while ago I went to see a play based on the Seven Deadly Sins ( pride, greed ,wrath, envy , lust ,gluttony and sloth) and have often wondered since which one people feel most vulnerable to and which one people may consider to be the worst. I know that my worst weakness is sloth. I consider myself to be terribly lazy ( eg, right now I should be doing the ironing or cleaning the bathroom), but I feel that the most destructive can be envy, of which I am horrendously guilty. I am not envious of people's wealth or material goods, but I do envy people who seem to have such worry free and happy family and social lives. My manager at work seems to have the most amazing family and I can't help but feel so jealous even though I know it is wrong of me.

Smileless2012 Sun 29-Jan-23 14:06:24

I feel most vulnerable to envy as I've seen it tear our family apart.

LRavenscroft Sun 29-Jan-23 14:07:54

Definitely Sloth!

Guesswhat Sun 29-Jan-23 14:08:06

Sloth is definitely my major sin.

I’m not envious of other people any more. They will have their own trials and tribulations, believe me. Even if they’re not obvious at the moment.

Interesting thread, Lizbethann. smile

AreWeThereYet Sun 29-Jan-23 14:09:39

I think we are all guilty of most of them at some time or another in our lives. When our lives aren't going the way we want/expect them to it's quite natural I think to be a bit envious of others - but they've also probably had their ups and downs at times when they envied others.

I've been trying to think which one is the worst IMO but keep changing my mind so I'll carry on thinking about it 😁

AreWeThereYet Sun 29-Jan-23 14:10:56

PS I think gluttony may be my besetting sin 😁

sharon103 Sun 29-Jan-23 14:16:20

Quote: I do envy people who seem to have such worry free and happy family and social lives.

So do I Lizbethann I've thought and said that many times to my sister. Nothing much goes right in her life either but then as she say's, do the people who's life seems perfect , are they really stress free and happy? Some people talk about what's happening in their lives and other's keep it to themselves.

Grandma70s Sun 29-Jan-23 14:18:28

Good question - and far more important than doing the ironing or cleaning the bathroom! I think wrath is the worst, because it can lead to violence and the worst of human nature.

I suppose I am slothful in the physical sense, but providing my brain is quite lively I‘m happy with that.

Jaylou Sun 29-Jan-23 14:26:45

I am definitely a sloth, I can procrastinate for England. But when I do work, I work long and hard.
Someone I know is very materialistic, so greed would be their sin, not a nice way to live, just so concerned with having the best of everything and letting everyone know they have it, and how much it cost. I am the opposite, I go out of my way to look for bargains.

Norah Sun 29-Jan-23 14:41:49

We're both content with life - our circumstance. Quite opposite to seven deadly sins. No particular reason, just choices I guess.

Urmstongran Sun 29-Jan-23 14:45:59

I had to look them up.

The seven deadly sins, as identified by Pope Gregory 1 in the late sixth century, are considered categories of sin:

Pride
Envy
Wrath
Gluttony
Lust
Sloth
Greed

Hmm.

JaneJudge Sun 29-Jan-23 14:48:46

I always think of that film with Brad Pitt in and the scented trees over the bed

BlueBelle Sun 29-Jan-23 15:03:16

But ….here we go is it ‘sinful’ to for instance be envious of someone but do nothing about it Is it sinful to be slothful if you’re getting on a bit it’s freezing cold and you want to sit and do nothing (I m a sloth to day for sure) Haven’t any of us ever envied anyone ?
These all seem parts of being a human to be honest why are they considered deadly?
Of course they would be deadly if the thoughts led to you doing something about it, like stealing or killing or you spent your WHOLE life being a) b) or c)

If this is what religion calls deadly what chance have any of us got

timetogo2016 Sun 29-Jan-23 15:11:13

I think Jealousy should be in there too imo.

Lucca Sun 29-Jan-23 15:15:44

It is. Envy.

fancythat Sun 29-Jan-23 15:58:49

I was going to say pride. It can be destructive of yourself and relationships.

But I hadnt spotted lust. That is similar. Or sometimes worse.

AGAA4 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:15:11

I've probably been guilty of all of them at times during my life. Some have been more prevalent like sloth and occasionally gluttony.
I think lust is possibly the most damaging to others if it's acted on as it can break up families.

Callistemon21 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:20:25

Urmstongran

I had to look them up.

The seven deadly sins, as identified by Pope Gregory 1 in the late sixth century, are considered categories of sin:

Pride
Envy
Wrath
Gluttony
Lust
Sloth
Greed

Hmm.

The seven deadly sins, as identified by Pope Gregory 1 in the late sixth century

hmm He who first pronounced Mary Magdalene to be a prostitute and a sinner.

The notion that Mary Magdalene was a former prostitute dates to a narrative by Pope Gregory I during a homily he delivered in the year 591.

“She whom Luke calls the sinful woman, whom John calls Mary, we believe to be the Mary from whom seven devils were ejected according to Mark,” the pope said at the time.

In Pope Gregory’s interpretation, the seven demons expelled from Mary Magdalene by Jesus were transformed into the seven deadly sins of medieval Christianity.

He has a lot to answer for, wrath being one.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:20:55

Sloth is definitely my worst sin. What I hate to see in others is greed.

hollysteers Sun 29-Jan-23 16:22:04

Having grown up with a terrifying, wrathful father, wrath for me.
Sloth today, but happy with it.
The people I dislike most in life are full of pride.

biglouis Sun 29-Jan-23 16:28:49

People who put of doing anything as boring as housework are not lazy - they just have something better and more creative to do.

Dull women keep immaculate homes!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:33:14

grin biglouis we must be fascinating then!

Callistemon21 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:35:45

biglouis

People who put of doing anything as boring as housework are not lazy - they just have something better and more creative to do.

Dull women keep immaculate homes!

Oh good 😃

Although I am trying to declutter, does that count as boring?

Fleurpepper Sun 29-Jan-23 16:39:37

envy - brings the very worst in people

Joseanne Sun 29-Jan-23 16:52:13

If pride comes from a feeling of joy and satisfaction with my life, and wanting to shout it from the rooftops, then I guess I am most guilty of that one, but not in a boastful way!
Never envious, maybe dull - I like an immaculate house.