Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you remember when the man was the "head of the family"

(102 Posts)
biglouis Mon 30-Jan-23 14:50:17

and the “breadwinner” and it was considered shameful for a wife to HAVE go out to work? I was brought up in such a family. When my mother had to take a part time job to make ends meet (I was about 14/15) I know my father hated it.

A short time ago there was a thread in mumsnet where a man had ended a relationship with his GF because she did not have a job. She had young children to care for, including one with special needs, so surely her “job” was being a mother/carer while the children still needed her.

The attitude now seems to be that unless you are the mom of young kids or are caring for someone then you should have an employed job, otherwise you are not contributing.

How times have changed.

Wyllow3 Fri 03-Feb-23 09:53:32

My mum had not had the chance to go to Uni as Nan decided it was only for her brother. She was always bright and articulate but missed out on "critical thinking". but what she had instead were the 5 years she was trapped in France in WW2. (went to the North of France as au pair girl, but the Germans swept across the area rapidly). so at the end of the war she did one of the two year teaching courses and of course taught French.

Dad was unwilling at first to relinquish the role of Provider but no stopping mum as a born teacher. I can recall clearly her activism in the Union and the day that women teachers at last got equal pay - not until 1961!

but like in so many families (apart from managing the accounts) Mum did everything - all the planning and thinking for the needs of 4 kids. Dd put his feet up in the evenings and mum beavered away.

This hasn't changed enough although I see on the whole things are getting better. As a mum I worked part time and did everything planning wise including the money, but DH was a super Dad and helped DS so much when he was trying to get a career in Uni lecturing. I did feel some resentment but in fact it was in a way my fault - I could have asked him and engaged him in more decision making - but I just did what my mum did.

DS and DiL - well, DiL still really does the "thinking" bit but especially since one of my GC is severely disabled, they share everything practical possible.

I'm just glad my rather head in clouds son has met such a super loving organiser.