Gransnet forums

Chat

70th Birthday

(26 Posts)
Hildagard Tue 07-Feb-23 15:39:41

Hi, please can I have some ideas. Have decided I don’t want a party! So DH says okay let’s just do something for you, and my mind has gone completely blank. We have an elderly dog which we would have to take with us, which is a bit restrictive

J52 Tue 07-Feb-23 15:50:40

Depends on your budget and whereabouts you are in the country, but how about a night at Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons. Pure luxury and they take dogs.

B9exchange Tue 07-Feb-23 15:51:48

I decided for my 70th I wouldn't have a party, where you only get to speak to friends for a few minutes each, but I would spend the year catching up with as many people as possible individually, and it was so much better.

For an actual celebration, there are lots of dog friendly hotels, have a look at www.dogfriendlyhotels.co.uk/ Congratulations, and have a great year!

vissos Tue 07-Feb-23 15:54:45

Hope you get something sorted. I'm 70 in April but not doing anything (by choice). Saw a great bday card which Ive bought for myself, as doubt anyone I know would get it for me. Have attached it here (🤞 it works!)

Hildagard Tue 07-Feb-23 16:02:21

Love the card!

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 07-Feb-23 17:30:12

It’s my 70th this year too! I also don’t want a big party. My sister and niece and my brother and his partner are coming over from Australia. My sister will take over my kitchen and cook a feast for us all, including my three children, a partner and my granddaughter. Twelve in all, hopefully.

midgey Tue 07-Feb-23 17:43:59

How about seventy things to do? Afternoon tea somewhere special with a couple of friends, lunch out with different friends and so on. You can make it last all year!

monk08 Tue 07-Feb-23 17:45:26

It's my 70th this year also our golden wedding anniversary another who doesn't want a party. We are taking the family son, daughter in law and grandsons to Benalmadena for a nice family holiday.

Hildagard Tue 07-Feb-23 17:54:00

I like the idea of 70 things to do!

NannyJan53 Tue 07-Feb-23 18:02:29

It is my 70th birthday September this year. We are going to Sicily the day after. Will probably have a family and friends meal the Saturday before, like I did for my 60th.

Yammy Tue 07-Feb-23 18:05:24

I was 70 during Covid so no family get together. I chose a very good handbag that I thought I would use for the rest of my life.
I found it last week doing the bag challenge never used and I realised why, if you bend over everything falls out.
It has gone to be exchanged.
A friend got a gold bracelet that she is going to try and put 1 charm for every ten years of her life. She bought me a necklace with seven beads which I can add to.
A list of 70 good things to do sounds good to me.

Hildagard Tue 07-Feb-23 19:34:03

I’m going to start a list tomorrow, maybe you could all give me some ideas!

rubysong Tue 07-Feb-23 19:55:35

I didn't want a party. It was winter and semi lockdown. DH and I went to avery nice b & b an hour away. On the Sunday DS & family joined us for a nice lunch. I didn't want much in the way of presents but asked each of our sons to have a photo taken of their families.

M0nica Tue 07-Feb-23 21:43:02

I think a list of 70 things to do would be too much and soon become a burden.

Personally I would choose a weekend away, in as luxurious hotel as could be afforded, in the centre of an historic town with lots of things to do - Bath, York, Lincoln, check it out before you go. I confess to a preference for Bath. As one of Jane Austen's heroines says ' Who can ever be tired of Bath?'

Shinamae Tue 07-Feb-23 22:04:48

I’m 70 in two days time and I don’t want a big fuss, in fact I’m going to work 🤗.. (2 pm till 8 pm)

Urmstongran Tue 07-Feb-23 22:10:14

A friend did something special once a month during the year she was 70y. She didn’t want a big party or a holiday. She chose a group each month - book club, art group, ex colleagues, family etc and each month arranged something for that small group - afternoon tea, cinema with wine afterwards, a curry night - said she had a ball that year and gave her something to plan and look forward to every four weeks. I plan to do something similar when it’s my turn!

Sweetie222 Wed 08-Feb-23 01:16:04

I’m 70 this year too, also really don’t want a party. Instead, going on holiday with my daughter and family later, but on the day I’m looking to go to Bristol to check out the amazing street art there.

BigBertha1 Wed 08-Feb-23 07:40:20

Good wishes for your birthday Hikdegard. I am 70 on Sunday but all our plans including a holiday are on hold as DH was taken into hospital last week as an emergency with heart problems. He is home now but not sure what's going to happen as he is very very tired and anxious.

M0nica Wed 08-Feb-23 07:56:19

It is interesting that so many of us on this thread are not party people.

When we hit 75, the year we celebrated our golden wedding, we pushed the boat out, by hiring a big house in Bath for a week and gathered together our immediate family, the last surviving guests from our very quiet wedding and DDiL's mother and sister. It was expensive but we enjoyed every moment.

We are both 80 in the Autumn and will probably take our immdiate family away for a weekend. Two nights in a hotel and a nice meal.

nanna8 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:07:46

I had a big party and I enjoyed it because we got it catered and had a spit roast - they provided everything and cleared up afterwards. It was a lunchtime thing and everyone sat round the garden. Most of the family were there plus friends and I was very lucky because it was a beautiful sunny day. I wouldn’t do it again, it was one of those lovely things you do rarely but I have great memories of the day, especially since one of my dear friends has since passed on.

RD001 Wed 08-Feb-23 09:01:38

Both me and my wife are 70 this year. My wife used to do some horse riding years ago so we’ve booked a 5 day horse trekking holiday in the Canadian Rockies. When we come back from that we’re off to Athens for a “Blues Cruise” with Joe Bonamassa as I love the blues. All very expensive but you only live once apparently. Regarding the OP’s elderly dog, why not ask someone to dog sit for you if kennels are out of the question?

Yammy Wed 08-Feb-23 09:13:59

Hildagard

I’m going to start a list tomorrow, maybe you could all give me some ideas!

It doesn't have to be an expensive list or end up a chore. Easy things a photo of each group of your family when you were 70 will depend on how many family you have. 70 bulbs in your garden in a special patch.A good box of chocolates and have one each for 35 nights after your birthday or a special tin of biscuits. A friend had a bubble bath for 70 nights when her birthday was during the lockdown. Set aside an hour for a good read and relax for the rest of the winter months.
Get out for a short walk weather permitting even if it is just to the post box for the next two months.
I hope this helps Happy birthday.flowers

Hildagard Wed 08-Feb-23 09:26:20

Thanks Yammy, I have decided to do something special on the 22nd of every month for a year! Not necessarily expensive but a treat.

Yammy Wed 08-Feb-23 09:34:35

M0nica

It is interesting that so many of us on this thread are not party people.

When we hit 75, the year we celebrated our golden wedding, we pushed the boat out, by hiring a big house in Bath for a week and gathered together our immediate family, the last surviving guests from our very quiet wedding and DDiL's mother and sister. It was expensive but we enjoyed every moment.

We are both 80 in the Autumn and will probably take our immdiate family away for a weekend. Two nights in a hotel and a nice meal.

I would agree Monica it is surprising that so many of us are not party people. maybe we have witnessed ones that did not work, two stick in my mind a surprise one where the recipient spent the night in tears and a leaving do where no one turned up. Both DH and I vowed never to do it to each other.

Yammy Wed 08-Feb-23 09:38:48

Hildagard

Thanks Yammy, I have decided to do something special on the 22nd of every month for a year! Not necessarily expensive but a treat.

I think that's great Hildegard don't set yourself a mountain to climb and everything doesn't have to be expensive to be special.
I think your idea is lovely,I hope you enjoy your year.