Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday 8th February 2023

(62 Posts)
Michael12 Wed 08-Feb-23 05:52:55

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry but cold outside here in brackley .
I may go to local supermarket for a small shop later this morning, as the cold air does not seem to to agree with me with my condition .
Track cycling on TV later see how GB do.
Take Care,
Mick

Grandmabatty Wed 08-Feb-23 07:59:03

Grannygravy I laughed aloud at that!

harrigran Wed 08-Feb-23 08:05:39

Good morning from a dry NE where it is 4 degrees.
Just had a text to say my medical supplies will be delivered between 8 and 9am, that is good because it is shopping day and it will be sorted by the time SIL arrives.
My sister has not had any news from Antakya since the initial call to say that her GS' father had survived the first earthquake. He told them then that his town was almost completely demolished.
Hope you get your eye sorted grandMattie
Have a good day everyone.

BlueBalou Wed 08-Feb-23 08:05:57

Good morning, it’s very frosty and foggy here Wiltshire, -4° 🥶
What a beautiful quilt Grandmattie, I don’t have the patience or the attention span to even attempt something like that.
Today more painting by numbers - it a bit squinty but I enjoyed starting it yesterday. I also started a Bargello tapestry pincushion, really soothing to stitch while listening to a podcast so more of that too.
Lemon chicken and potato tray bake for lunch so that’s today planned!
I hope we all have some sunshine today x

dragonfly46 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:16:12

Good morning from a freezing Leicestershire. It is very cold here as it is quite an old house. I can’t wait to get home to my cosy modern house.

Dog walking and tidying then a trip up the M1. It has been a difficult visit as they have no TV or broadband yet. Also DD could be made redundant after just 5 months in the job. They are cutting the work force by 50%. Not what you want after buying a new house.

Hoping everyone a good day.

dragonfly46 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:16:41

Not Leicestershire but Essex!

Marydoll Wed 08-Feb-23 08:19:03

Good morning all from a cloudy Glasgow, where it is 7°C.
I have had the worst night in ages, Mr MD, snored, coughed, and jumped about the bed all night.
The spare room wasn't an option, given my fragile state. just in case anything happens. I am not a happy bunny at all. 🤬

GrandMattie, wee Dollie had conjunctivitis recently and a pharmacist prescribed antibiotic eye drops under the minor ailments system.
There is a poster on our surgery wall advising, that for all eye problems, contact an optician. There is also a recorded message, saying the same, when you phone for an appointment.
It doesn't need to be be your own optician, any should be able to help.
I know this, because DIL2 sent me to a local one, when I had burst a blood vessel in my eye.

I'm probably teaching my granny to suck eggs: a teaspoon of salt in pint of cooled boiled water is also advised, to clear the gunk away. Single use cotton wool, corner to outside. My three children were always catching it at school. You are likely to be doing this anyway.

Susan and Corner, pleased to hear your day wasn't as bad as you feared.

Yesterday, much to my surprise, I got a call from the surgery pharmacy technician, to review and discuss my meds. I was most surprised.
This is the first contact, initiated by the surgery in over a year. It's amazing what a hospital stay can do.
The technician agreed that syncing them, (there are so many) was impossible, but she tried to make ordering more manageable. Also, I managed to sort out a few queries, I had been dreading phoning about.
My painkilling patch had been omitted from the hospital discharge letter, so they were going to stop it. 😱 I managed to sort that too.
A BP check appointment was also organised into the bargain.
I apologised for being a difficult patient and was told that I was instead, a very unwell patient.
I don't know if that gets me Brownie points, when I need to phone. 😉

DH is now painting the kitchen walls, I really am not up for it, but he is a man with a mission and the most untidy of workmen into the bargain!
I have neither the energy, nor inclination to clear up. 😭
I'm just frustrated and not improving as quickly as I would like.
Unfortunately, my voice has gone again, so I can't even rant!! 😁

Its good to hear of all the trips out and about.
Baubles, I hope you manage to get through the day.

Enjoy your day folks.

Grandmadinosaur Wed 08-Feb-23 08:20:15

Good Morning from East Yorkshire. It looks like a nice bright day ahead.

I have laundry to do today and make a start on tidying the back bedroom after the rewiring. I’m having a cull of the children’s books in there and will take to a charity shop. I’d also like to go somewhere and look for a nice lamp for the living room. DIL also asked if I could do coffee today. I’m still in bed after an interrupted nights sleep so better make a move!

ginny Wed 08-Feb-23 08:22:03

Good morning from a once again frosty -3 N. Bucks.
Lovely quilt GM
DH s birthday today. Wear not doing anything special but will be out for a meal at the weekend with all the family. He is meeting with friends for coffee as they can’t play golf today.

Hairdressers and craft club for me.
Hope the day is good for you all.

NannyJan53 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:22:15

Good morning from a frosty and foggy Black Country, where it is minus 3deg!

Thank you for the birthday wishes for MrJ. We had a walk out along the canal via the pub! Meal out is Friday night. I have a attached a photo of a card he received which made us smile.

Today I am meeting a group of friends for lunch, while MrJ goes to the gym!

I am the same monk keep getting vouchers for 50% off. It would be rude not to take up the offer smile

Hoping you can see someone today about your eyes grandMattie

Wishing you all an enjoyable day

Greyduster Wed 08-Feb-23 08:22:32

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. The sun has just put in an appearance in South Yorkshire, but my goodness it’s cold! Yesterday was a day of frustrations from making my king sized bed and then discovering I had left the mattress cover off, to a cake that refused to cook properly and then taking a bin bag of mostly messy rubbish to the bin which my neighbour had put at the bottom of my drive ready for collection this morning -and the bag burst, depositing, amongst other things, the remains of Sunday’s curry lunch all over the place. It took a brush and shovel and a bucket of soapy water to sort it out and it’s definitely not the sort of thing I’m meant to be doing at the moment, but hey! Nobody’s fault but my own. Needs must when the devil drives. I have to go out to a nearby shopping mall today to get some cake decorations and a roll of wrapping paper. It’ll have to warm up a bit first!
Have a good day, one and all.

NannyJan53 Wed 08-Feb-23 08:23:11

Happy Birthday to your DH ginny !

Forsythia Wed 08-Feb-23 08:23:36

Good morning from the south coast where we have a heavy frost today. Pretty to look at in the garden but very cold. Exercise class for me today and not sure what else. A few parcels to send and maybe some decorating again later.

A beautiful quilt Grandmattie, I love the colours and you are very talented.

A happy day to all.

Marydoll Wed 08-Feb-23 08:24:33

harri, how worrying for you all. I can't stop thinking of those poor people in Turkey and have wept for them.

GG, that really made me laugh!

GB, poor wee DGS, DS1 was the same. It wasn't easy dealing with it.

Marydoll Wed 08-Feb-23 08:29:00

Congratulations to your granddaughter Gingster. All that hard work has paid off.

Beechnut Wed 08-Feb-23 08:35:13

Good Morning everyone. Very frosty on Severnside this morning.

That’s a lovely quilt Mattie.
Happy Birthday to Mrginny 🍺🎂

A few pottering jobs today and a meal from the slow cooker.

Best wishes to you all 🌼❄️❄️

hollysteers Wed 08-Feb-23 08:38:13

Good morning Mick and all from Sunnyside northwest coast.
Enjoyed music club yesterday but their internet was dodgy which affected my backings. Ended up singing an unaccompanied folk song. I know I can attach my Bluetooth to my iPad without internet so will look into that.
More music today, another lunchtime concert in town but in tonight.
My cat climbs into my adjustable bed and in the night I heard her trying to get out, so lifted the electric bedhead. She’s so quiet in there, I forget she has climbed in when reading last thing at night.
So many people killed in the earthquake, hard to take in.
Beautiful bedspread grandMattie and I hope you get your conjunctivitis cleared up.

Aldom Wed 08-Feb-23 08:50:55

As suggested by others GrandMattie, if you see a pharmacist or optician you will probably be given Chloramphenicol (infected eye drops). Much quicker than the minor injuries clinic.

Alygran Wed 08-Feb-23 08:52:30

Good morning from North Yorkshire. Another sunny day expected here.
Lovely quilt GM. My friend used to make them. Her daughter gave me one after she died. I have it on a bed in a north facing room, it would be shame for it to be hidden in case of fading.
Off to our local mini supermarket this morning to promote our charity which is going to be funded via their loyalty card. Lunch with my fellow volunteer then a cup of tea with my neighbour.
….and 10,000 steps….we’ll see.

Grammaretto Wed 08-Feb-23 08:57:18

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where it's 7° and windy
I hope for an easy day today. Yarn group and then some catching up on paperwork.

I seem to have booked 3 getaways this year! Very unusual for me. I must be learning from Mick!

You are quiltmaker supremo Mattie I envy your skills and time management.

If your back is too sore, you must rest it Baubles! None of us is indispensable. Someone else can do your shifts.

there's you telt

I hope everyone has a pleasant day including your birthday boy Ginny

EkwaNimitee Wed 08-Feb-23 09:11:23

Good morning Mick and everyone from bright and breezy Carlisle where it is 5C. A look at the TV weather map last night showed how blue with cold it was over southern England and western Europe.
I was tired all day yesterday after my bad nights' sleep and didn't perk up till the evening due to my caffeine intake I suppose.
I had a good night last night so on with some housework this morning.
Wasn't the news grim this morning, the earthquake death toll numbers rose by several thousand whilst I was listening and will be terrible by the time all that rubble has been cleared. We can only sit here, be upset and give money.

I'll just go and get on with things and wish all here the best possible day.

Urmstongran Wed 08-Feb-23 09:14:01

Here’s Matt.

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where once again, we have a beautiful morning full of sunshine. I’ve just been messaging my sister and my Ladies Who Wine and apparently it’s lashing it down with rain and very windy too on the Costa del Sol. LWW got cancelled yesterday the weather was so bad! A very rare occurrence. They said I’m not missing anything as bad weather is set to continue till the end of the week.

I’ve got a routine appointment with the optician this afternoon. Two years since I last went apparently. That’s flown by. Mind you I do recall I wore a mask and so did the optometrist.

As I’ve always got my spex on because I need them for distance and reading - I have varifocal lenses for my prescription - I’d quite LIKE to choose different frames for a change of look. But I’m trying to cut back on my spending. Needs -v- wants. I ‘want’ new frames but do I ‘need’ them. No. I’ve gone to this independent optician round the corner for years. I like to support her. I know Specsavers is much cheaper. My friends think I’m mad. But am I? Use the independents or lose them we are told or our town centres will just be clones of one another with little individuality.

If I had loadsa money I wouldn’t bat an eyelid (see what I did there?) but I haven’t, so I have to tailor my wants. Hey ho.

aggie Wed 08-Feb-23 09:22:54

Good morning from a bright breezy Co Armagh
Club shortly then trying to think of a card for a 16 yr old Grandson , no ideas are coming to me , the girls are so much easier !

luluaugust Wed 08-Feb-23 09:27:33

Good morning from a frosty, sunny W Kent. Out for a cup of tea this morning and then quiet rest of the day.
I agree about the independents Urms, ours has just gone after 50 years and we are now off to Boots with everybody else. The last time we went we realised they weren't offering all the modern tests and had become very expensive.
Love the quilt gM, I was looking at the quilting group at U3A but when I saw samples of their work it all looked very professional, as yours does. I hope you get your eyes sorted out.
Best wishes to all

ShazzaKanazza Wed 08-Feb-23 09:41:40

Good Morning Mick and everyone from Hull. We have another lovely day promised. 🌞

Happy birthday to your DH ginny🍰

What a gorgeous quilt grandMattie I’m sure it will be treasured forever.

Congratulations to your GD Gingster hard work has paid off.

I liked the card NannyJan it would be a perfect card for a friend up north.

We had GS last night and his latest thing is me throwing the space hopper as far as I can up the garden then we race to see who gets to it first. I must have done it 20 times in the dark as the outside lights only reach the end of the patio. So I’ll be at it tonight as he is here again. I really need to keep going to the gym to keep up so I’ll go later this morning.
DD text to say GD1 has chicken pox. Oh the joys!

Hoping you all have a lovely day. Thinking of our friends who are poorly and upset 🌻🌻

grandMattie Wed 08-Feb-23 09:45:07

Been and come back! The presrcribing nurse gave me ointment, after thorough examination. - i have been using drops OTC for the last few days and they did bu....r all! Told to come back to see eye doctor there if it gets worse, to doctor if no better...

MD, I've used cold tea, the tannin helps me.