Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday 8th February 2023

(62 Posts)
Michael12 Wed 08-Feb-23 05:52:55

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry but cold outside here in brackley .
I may go to local supermarket for a small shop later this morning, as the cold air does not seem to to agree with me with my condition .
Track cycling on TV later see how GB do.
Take Care,
Mick

Taichinan Wed 08-Feb-23 09:55:51

Good morning everyone from the Angus coast, where there's supposed to be stormy weather brewing. Mind you as it's coming out of the west it probably won't reach here until later. I've put off taking my friend out until tomorrow after tai chi - a sunny day up country is always more therapeutic.
Sorry to hear about your conjunctivitis grandmattie and hope you manage to get some help from somewhere. Your quilt is beautiful and I'm sure Philip's girlfriend will treasure it.
Susan I'm on Denplan too - have been for 30 years. The best part of it (apart from no shocking one-off bills!) are the regular hygienist appointments which catch any problems before they escalate into something painful. Not that I enjoy the hygienist, but you know what I mean!
My great-niece's husband was on television from LA this week - guess who didn't see him! Serves me right for not watching the news any more - it's usually so depressing. But the family were quietly a-buzz!
I was reading a book the other day in a series by an author I like when in the first couple of pages the little village where DS2 lives began to feature. I immediately contacted DS to tell him - turns out the author lives there too. Truly I live in reflected glory 😄
No glory here though and life goes on in the same old way with nothing to report.
Have a good day everyone x

Urmstongran Wed 08-Feb-23 09:57:15

I’m lucky lulu our optometrist has state of the art technology with computer assisted photos of behind the eyes etc so she compares a new photo with the last one. She also has several displays of designer frames. That’s my downfall. I’ve always had champagne tastes and lager money. Perhaps if I steer myself away from the designer ranges I could find a pair I like as a compromise? I’d love a jazzy pair like Prue whatsit wears in Bake Off (not a programmes I watch as I never bake) but will have a Good Look 👀 at what’s available. I do appreciate I could just take my prescription up the road to Specsavers - thereby giving her half my business for the testing and get the lenses in new frames elsewhere. Or choose the frames from Specsavers and drop them in at the optician’s to have lenses fitted by them. Decisions, decisions.

monk08 Wed 08-Feb-23 09:59:11

Happy birthday to Mrginny 🍺🎂
GM hope the ointment does the trick.

Urmstongran Wed 08-Feb-23 10:00:45

I’m definitely over-thinking this! 🤣🤣
I’ll just make the porridge.

Wyllow3 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:02:30

Specsavers every time, Urms. They have a good range of relatively modestly priced designer style ones. I've got one in the supermarket I use, beyond "handy". I can't be weaned off my rimless specs as in hardly looks like you have specs but..

.impossible to see where you have put then down.

its a sunny S Yorks. Late last night I was unpacking a huge treadmill (not setting it up, someone comes) as it blocked the TV.

So its a dressing gown day today, nuff said. Let it be known I have combed my hair.

Bests for poorlies and appointments and family duties and outings.

Kalu Wed 08-Feb-23 10:07:36

Good morning all from a welcome sunny day in Glasgow.

Our old flowering cherry will be pruned today, thank goodness it’s a dry day and I can potter about with a bit of tidying up around the beds. Snowdrops are out and Iris are beginning to show.
Such a beautiful quilt GM you are so talented.
Be careful Baubles. Please don’t go overdoing it, your health is more important than a job. Take a telling from me too. 😀

Best wishes to all for a good day.

NanaBabs1 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:08:49

Hello grandMattie, good morning, all from a frosty but beautifully sunny west Kent.
I have a feeling this conjunctivitis doing the rounds at the moment might be another complication of the pandemic. So many seem to be suffering very badly. Very common in schoolchildren, it now seems to be affecting many adults, and affecting them very badly. The go to remedy, chloramphenicol, hardly seems to touch the sides and some people (including a very good friend and also my son) needing oral antibiotics. No doubt it’ll be researched at some point!
I do hope your treatment works swiftly. It usually clears in two or three days, good luck.
And everyone else, have a day without too many trials and tribulations.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:11:21

Good Morning all from bright and chilly Harrogate.
Your quilt is indeed beautiful GrandMattie. An opt icing I went to told me in no uncertain terms - they deal with eyes! My last few doses of conjunctivitis have proved to be blepharitis! Any ways of dealing with it, but professional advice best.
I'm disappointed for you Marydoll that you are not back to your chipper self!
Today we are taking the bus into Ripon so I can go round my favourite bargain shops (Home Bargains being one).
Have the best day possible folks!

pascal30 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:27:21

Urmstongran

I’m lucky lulu our optometrist has state of the art technology with computer assisted photos of behind the eyes etc so she compares a new photo with the last one. She also has several displays of designer frames. That’s my downfall. I’ve always had champagne tastes and lager money. Perhaps if I steer myself away from the designer ranges I could find a pair I like as a compromise? I’d love a jazzy pair like Prue whatsit wears in Bake Off (not a programmes I watch as I never bake) but will have a Good Look 👀 at what’s available. I do appreciate I could just take my prescription up the road to Specsavers - thereby giving her half my business for the testing and get the lenses in new frames elsewhere. Or choose the frames from Specsavers and drop them in at the optician’s to have lenses fitted by them. Decisions, decisions.

Urmstongran... have a look at a website called IZIPIZI from Paris ...they have a range of coloured frames, very reasonably priced.. I've bought two and had them fitted with my prescription at my local Boots optician..

kittylester Wed 08-Feb-23 10:37:11

We also support our local optician, urms. We try to support independents where ever we can.

Ours has state of the art everything too. Sadly, last time I went, there had been no change in my prescription and, therefore, no excuse for new specs and different frames.

Litterpicker Wed 08-Feb-23 11:45:41

Good morning Mick and all. Blue skies and sunshine here in coastal West Sussex but there is a cool breeze.

That quilt is stunning GM. I am trying to revamp a patchwork bedspread made by my late MiL back in the late 60s/early 70s - it is very ‘retro’. The backing has gone, so on the advice of ‘crafty’ friends it has been removed and I will stitch on an old but good condition cotton sheet. The patchwork needed washing so I put it in the washing machine on Monday and now have the job of picking off all the old thread from round the edge. A lot of frayed thread came off in the wash so I had to retrieve mounds of fluff from the washing machine and thought I had better be thorough and clean the filter too. Unfortunately I greatly underestimated the amount of water that would come out so my too small cloth was soaked and water flowed under the machine. Our machine is a freestanding one that replaced the built in one that was here when we moved in and it is a very tight fit. DH managed to drag it out for me to dry up the floor behind but couldn’t get it to slide back in. He eventually put it on his latest ‘toy’, a set of wheels to put under heavy items so that they can be rolled. The machine is now wedged at an angle and looks unusable to me. DH insists it is fine 😨

I feel for you Greyduster with your split bin bag. Why is nothing simple?

I am glad to hear Marydoll is making progress with the medication review, if not with domestic arrangements 🙂

I have tea and (homemade) cakes out this afternoon and library books to return and collect.

Have a good day.