Gransnet forums

Chat

Knitwear that doesn’t go bobbly

(87 Posts)
Musky17 Mon 06-Mar-23 16:01:16

Can anyone recommend brands of knitwear that stays looking good? I find jumpers that look lovely on hangers in the shops soon look “old” after washing. I use Woolite and have a bobble comb for special cashmere knitwear. Where can I buy good quality that lasts a y more? M & S items used to look great for years but no longer, especially when made from “ recycled” materials.

Joseanne Mon 06-Mar-23 19:49:14

I bought a couple of soft-ish M & S jumpers in December and couldn't work out why all the fine threads were pulling, then realised the velcro on my jacket was clinging to the wool. All down my front!
I find Next jumpers aren't bad, Woolovers aren't good.

Callistemon21 Mon 06-Mar-23 20:04:39

Joseanne

^Where can I buy good quality that lasts more?^
Expensive, but try Whistles or Basler.

I havent bought Basler for years as there is nowhere that stocks it around here but still have two or three jumpers that must be 10 years old and still not bobbly.

However, I think they're knitted cotton.

Paperbackwriter Tue 07-Mar-23 11:28:29

Most of the brands you are mentioning on here would count as cheap (sorry) and very cheaply made. You really can't expect top quality. I hardly buy any wool items any more but I have several cashmere items that I got from Pure and from Brora a long while ago. Sure they were expensive at the time but they've lasted so well for absolutely ages. Cost per wear is probably less than M&S if you're going to chuck it out after a year.

Annanan Tue 07-Mar-23 11:29:04

The only sweaters I have that can be guaranteed to last and not bobble Are lands end men’s cashmere. It’s worth waiting for the sales to get a bargain but they last and last. I like them because they are made long and I can wear the crewneck ones with a shirt underneath

Musky17 Tue 07-Mar-23 11:30:06

Thank you Joseanne for the recommendations that I was hoping for. I don’t think we should just have to accept that quality has gone downhill & “be ready to deal with it” BlueBalou has a jumper (or more) from the days when we didn’t have to throw them away after one season!

Romola Tue 07-Mar-23 11:32:19

I'm a knitter and the things I knit don't pill, but hand-knits aren't right for every occasion. I've been very disappointed with a jumper from Seasalt and the people in our local shop said they'd had other complaints about pilling.

Anrol Tue 07-Mar-23 11:34:32

I’ve found my Fat Face, Mountain Warehouse and White stuff jumpers do not bobble. Many bought “used” from EBay too.

Saggi Tue 07-Mar-23 11:35:32

M and S buy such cheap rubbish now and it’s only fit for rag bag. I prefer to buy more expensive I.E. Joe Browns and at least that garment you love lasts more than a year….you know , just like M&S used to be!!

mokryna Tue 07-Mar-23 11:41:51

UNIQLO are opening shops (16) in the UK now or on line. They are a Japanese firm and I have found their clothes wash well. I buy their 100% wool cardigans as well as the sleeveless feather padded jackets They have a winter sale on at the moment.

grannybuy Tue 07-Mar-23 11:42:17

I have wool sweaters from both M & S and Benetton. My 1980’s M & S botany wool jumpers and cardigan are still in excellent condition - no bobbling or shrinkage. More recent merino wools ones are practically see through, and half the weight of the old ones, and have gone slightly bobbly. I still have Benetton knitwear also from the 80’s and 90’s, which are also brilliant. The ones which I bought from about 2010 onwards have definitely got something synthetic in them, and they feel nothing like the old ones, and have become very bobbly. The older ones have kept beautifully. I haven’t bought any, but on examining the merino knitwear in Hobbs, they feel, to me, that they might keep well.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 07-Mar-23 11:44:17

Washing the garment inside out helps a bit but depends on the yarn. I find man made yarns like acrylic are the worst so try to steer clear.

Secondwind Tue 07-Mar-23 11:56:02

Bobbling is such a nuisance! It seems to happen to jumpers very quickly these days.
I bought a couple of jumpers from Poundland, of all places about four years and neither have shown any sign of bobbling. They’ve been machine-washed and tumble-dried numerous times, too. It’s crazy, isn’t it?!

Sparklefairydust Tue 07-Mar-23 12:26:00

I have a Joe Browns jumper that has bobbled very badly.

Grandmagrewit Tue 07-Mar-23 12:26:20

I''m following this thread with great interest as it popped up just as I was tackling a really bobbly cardigan with a pair of embroidery scissors! I agree that M&S knitwear is now rubbish - either bobbly or very thin and easily snagged - and Woolovers quality has really gone down despite always washing in Woolite on a proper wool wash. I do have a couple of older Woolovers cashmere and merino tunics which bobbled a bit initially but I was able to remove them and they've been good ever since. However, I bought a merino wool cardi from them in January, wore it just once and my husband thought I'd picked it up in a charity shop just as a cheap extra layer to keep warm. It was so badly bobbled that I sent it back for a refund - but had to pay the postage for doing so! Has anyone else noticed that men's knitwear is far less prone to bobbling? - my husband has 3 lambswool jumpers from Woolovers which have not bobbled. Do they source them from different suppliers? I notice they do not disclose where their garments are made on the labels. One final thought - I too have found the battery debobblers useless but has anyone tried this one? musthaveideas.co.uk/products/bye-bye-bobbles

Grandmagrewit Tue 07-Mar-23 12:30:32

Just noticed that the Musthaveideas gadget is now out of stock and they don't know when or if they are going to have any new stock. Seems that many, many others have knitwear nightmares!

kwest Tue 07-Mar-23 12:36:32

I buy Seasalt 'Fruity' jumpers. I probably have half a dozen of them and I think they cost around @£65.00.
Yes they do bobble at first but after two or three handwashes in cold water (yes a pain) and a good de-bobbling with the little comb things they settle down and the bobbling appears to stop. I did foolishly try to wash one of these jumpers in the machine on a cold wool wash. It shrank and I did all the things I'd heard of like using baby shampoo and also used fabric conditioner to relax the knit. It never came back to it's former self. I gave it to my daughter but honestly she could probably walk the dog in it but she would not wear it for anything else. I did read either Sea salt or Woolovers advice about pure wool jumpers and not washing them too often. Now I can get about five wears from a jumper before washing it again. I put them on hangers on the clothes line in a good stiff breeze, I peg the hangers onto the line. It is even better if the sun is shining as it seems to help in killing any deodorant smells. Anyway after about 3 hours the jumpers smell fresh again. I avoid getting perfume on my jumpers and at this time of year I wear something between the jumper and me, so the jumpers are relatively fresh for about 5 wearings.I arrange the jumper back to shape between two towels and then gently roll them up to get rid of excess water and I dry them flat on two drying racks on the garden table.

nexus63 Tue 07-Mar-23 13:05:24

i purchased an expensive cardigan from damart, (expensive for me) i only wore for a couple of hours but it had started to bobble the second time without even getting to the wash. i usually wear items more than one before washing as i usually have them on for just a few hours. i have found that putting cardigans and jumpers into a clean pillow case and washing them that way last a bit longer.

Chestnut Tue 07-Mar-23 13:06:21

I'm another who prefers cotton.

- I recently bought a polyester/acrylic Isle cardigan from Edinburgh Woollen Mill and it's bobbling already. Absolute rubbish.

- Two cotton Isle cardigans from Edinburgh Woollen Mill are perfect and still going strong after 4 years.

- George polyester jumper is 4 years old, lovely and soft and still no bobbling.

- F&F (Tesco) cotton/acrylic cardigan many years old still going strong.

- Berkertex cotton cardigan many years old still going strong.

So acrylic seems to go with cotton but not polyester, and polyester and cotton both seem to be good by themselves. The polyester/acrylic mix doesn't seem to work, or is it the quality of the yarn?

Nightsky2 Tue 07-Mar-23 13:06:50

I only wear cashmere jumpers. I have no problem, I wash them in my washing machine, hand wash cycle and I use a special cashmere detergent I buy from Amazon. I only use a very small amount. I am very careful to stretch them into shape before I dry them flat on top of a towel which is over a laundry basket in my boiler room. . I get rid of any bobbling before I wear them. The jumpers I’m wearing this winter will probably last for another couple of years before I get bored with them. They are expensive but I do get an awful lot of wear out of them.

Irismarle Tue 07-Mar-23 13:29:47

I’ve been told that high quality wool and cashmere will still bobble when quite new. I have 3 expensive wool jumpers from Whistles and they all bobbled. However, I bought the electric gadget like a shaver from musthaveideas.com and it is excellent. Before that I used to use the special comb very vigorously and then hand wash and also iron which cured the problems - much more work, though!

Musky17 Tue 07-Mar-23 13:52:42

It’s obvious that we all learned these tips from our Mothers like I did, hand wash (after a few wearings) with special liquids in lukewarm or cold water, no rubbing but gentle squeezing, roll in towel to remove excess water, reshape carefully and dry flat. I love the cashmere that I can now afford, but the best one I have ever had was a F & F cashmere jumper from Tesco that long outlasted my M & S cashmere ones costing £79-£99. Obviously I do expect to
de-fuzz these due to the nature of cashmere. It’s all of the others that are a waste of money now, but didn’t used to be. Cotton is too cool for me in Winter. I know that I have been lucky, but the cost of living crisis is obviously prohibitive to many of us now and not everyone is willing or able to stand doing the hand washing/ drying routine. Off to the Men’s section……..

ruthiek Tue 07-Mar-23 13:57:48

Casdon, I used to swear by Crew but I have had two jumpers recently that I had to take back as they bobbled and at £60 they weren’t cheap !! Have to say there was no argument but I was sad because they were lovely . Now I don’t know where to go😪

IrishDancing Tue 07-Mar-23 13:58:51

I have put a Pure jumper in the charity bag - for being shapeless after one wear rather than pilling and two Joules jumpers one for pilling very badly and one for being shapeless after one wear. Neither was cheap …

LaRia44 Tue 07-Mar-23 14:02:12

I always wear a tee shirt or shirt under wool and cashmere, so extends the wear, between laundry, and to freshen them up I pop them in the freezer, in a bag, for a couple of days. I learned this tip about black jeans or any colour in fact. Every thing comes out really nice, black jeans look like new. Saves a lot of washing and kills bacteria I believe .

Bazza Tue 07-Mar-23 14:11:25

I can highly recommend Celtic jumpers. They are quite expensive but last literally for years without a bobble in sight. I wash them on a wool wash. Most are made in the uk, or Europe. Also excellent customer service and sensible packaging. I have virtually given up with any other manufacturers and try to buy one a year.