Gransnet forums

Chat

Knitwear that doesn’t go bobbly

(87 Posts)
Musky17 Mon 06-Mar-23 16:01:16

Can anyone recommend brands of knitwear that stays looking good? I find jumpers that look lovely on hangers in the shops soon look “old” after washing. I use Woolite and have a bobble comb for special cashmere knitwear. Where can I buy good quality that lasts a y more? M & S items used to look great for years but no longer, especially when made from “ recycled” materials.

Mishy Tue 07-Mar-23 14:40:21

I have bought a couple of jumpers from Celtic and Co and they have been good, even with washing. I also buy from Seasalt Cornwall and have been pleased with these too.

madeleine45 Tue 07-Mar-23 15:10:48

As a woman of champagne taste and beer money, I watch out for the sales etc. I buy cashmere, and always wash it by hand and look after it. Still have 1 jumper now 13 years old got a couple of holes under the sleeves but still fine for working around at home and also they are very light and I put one in a plastic bag in a rucksac. If the weather turns cold it is easy to fish out and wear. Used to do quite well with Edinborough Wool Shop but they are making the bodies shorter and shorter, which is no good at all . If it cold enough to wear a cashmere you need it well down the body not riding up at waist level. All these signs saying you can put a cashmere in the washing machine are just a con to get you to ruin them. So I just watch out for any good bargains and do not buy online. I like to touch and feel the garment and can tell how thick the material is etc.

Yangste1007 Tue 07-Mar-23 17:19:53

Seasalt are amongst the worst, in my opinion.

Funnygran Tue 07-Mar-23 17:31:13

I bought two Hobbs jumpers last year online when they had a sale. Loved the styles and colours and kept them for ‘best’. I hadn’t washed either of them before they bobbled dreadfully. I emailed customer services and they wrote back suggesting I hadn't looked after them! Then they asked me to send them back to them but didn’t send a returns label. I didn’t bother and just wear them for everyday. Not inclined to pay Hobbs prices again sale or no sale.

Grannygrumps1 Tue 07-Mar-23 17:34:48

Put the jumper into a mesh zippy laundry bag. That way when you wash it - it’s protected.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Mar-23 17:44:40

Grannygrumps1

Put the jumper into a mesh zippy laundry bag. That way when you wash it - it’s protected.

I always do that.

It's not just from washing, it's wearing, particularly under the arms and all down the insides of the sleeves, so it's caused by friction too.

Grandmama Tue 07-Mar-23 18:36:50

I can't wear wool next to my skin so I look out for cotton or synthetics or I wear a cotton top under wool. I have some M&S jumpers that must be very old as I've had them a long time and they came from charity shops but they haven't gone bobbly.

seadragon Tue 07-Mar-23 18:53:27

I'm another knitted cotton fan discovered when I bought a Sea Salt 'Arran' knit polo neck jumper which is surprisingly warm and years on looks like new and washes no bother. I also have an Edinburgh 'Sweater Shop' charity shop rainbow patterned cardigan which must be 20 years old and looks like new after countless washes in the washing machine. I tend to buy pure natural fibres anyway - 'always read the label' - and have several that wash well in the washing machine on 'delicates' rather than 'woollen' wash. However, my sister bought me a really expensive and very gorgeous pure wool 'Pashmina' from House of Bruar last year and the surface was covered in an extensive layer of 'fuzz' after only a couple of hours' wear so I sent it back and H of B refunded the full cost to my sister with profuse apologies. It was only later I discovered that this is normal for a Pashmina and you can buy a special comb to 'defuzz' it! Maybe Pashminas should be sold with the tool and full instructions!!

BrandyGran Tue 07-Mar-23 19:01:01

I have cashmere jumpers from Pure which I bought when I was still working over 12 yrs ago. They have never bobbled and have little pockets which make them stylish. Of course they are for good. I wash by hand using Pure product.
I often say that if I was still working a present day jumper would look decent for about 3 wearings. White Stuff jumpers even excuse themselves on the label by saying “this garment is prone to pilling”. What cheek when we have forked out nearly £40-50!!!

Gin Tue 07-Mar-23 19:13:48

I have five year old cashmere jumpers from Pure that never bobble but the one I bought last year from them feels much thinner and is very bobbly already. I fear quality has gone by the board for many of these companies. My best buys have been from TKMaxx but you have to be very selective there

Fernbergien Tue 07-Mar-23 20:38:07

Have said this before that the best jumpers I have had in the last 10 years or more are M&S at £17.50. Crew neck. Not thick but warm. Many colours. No special washing procedure. Usually say cashmilon on the online description. Many are pretty old. Consider trying one at that price.

storynanny Tue 07-Mar-23 21:40:11

I hate bobbly knitwear! The only jumpers I’ve ever found which don’t bobble are extra fine merino from Uniqlo. Unfortunately the colour choices are a bit dull.
I hate bobbly jumpers so much that I now tend to wear layers underneath my Seasalt cord dresses on the winter instead

4allweknow Tue 07-Mar-23 22:05:34

Doesn't seem to matter which make or the cost bobbling occurs though some much quicker than others. Fed up so now buy cheap and cheerful knowing I will be throwing any knitted item out probably by the end of the season. I know it's not environmentally friendly but refuse to pay the sort of money the big makes charge in the hope the items will last when they don't.

BlueBelle Tue 07-Mar-23 22:13:44

Sorry fern I won’t buy M and S again given them too many chances
And I cant afford the prices some are quoting so it’s charity shops for me at least if they haven’t bobbled second hand I guess they won’t

Northernlass Tue 07-Mar-23 22:14:59

I've had 3 cashmere Brora jumpers for 15 years, bought 2nd hand for about £8 each! They are as good as new - absoluely no pilling. Same goes for the Kirkland brand, but I think they've gone out of business.

Always read the reviews on Seasalt - go straight for the lowest scoring ones. I bought 2 of their 'Fruity' jumpers and they looked dreadful after wearing twice. The same goes for White Stuff too. Such a shame as the styles are lovely.

At the beginning of the year I bought a Boden v-neck cashmere jumper, in the sale. It looks like ancient already. I don't know what's happened to the quality of goods.

I've also had success with The White Company's knitwear in the past.

You may be lucky to find 2nd hand cashmere on ebay.

Kalu Tue 07-Mar-23 22:59:16

I have a few old cashmere pieces from Pure, bought years ago, still look as good as knew, no pilling. Similarly, Johnstone’s of Elgin and Brora.

Recently discovered Pure have been bought over by Woolovers. Their Pure range has shot up in price and is very poor quality and I won’t be buying from them again. I think they are relying on the brand name Pure but people will get wise to this con.

Milest0ne Tue 07-Mar-23 23:08:31

Like Casdon I am unable to wear wool. I have several Icelandic jumpers, which have a very long 'staple' so they don't itch as much, but still need a cotton or silk under shirt.
The hardest wearing jumpers I have are heavy weight cotton one which came from BHS. Just a very plain style. Good quality like their knickers used to be. Miss that shop

Esmay Wed 08-Mar-23 02:31:03

Yours is my favourite shop for everyday clothes .
The quality is OK and the clothes are comfortable .
I wouldn't wear them for a special occasion .
Ages ago , I bought several of their jumpers .
One developed a gigantic hole the first time that I wore it. The others look like fishing nets after a couple of wearings .
I wear them in the garden under a coat for gardening .

BlueBelle Wed 08-Mar-23 03:13:42

But folks who wears cashmere for everyday wear all I ve been looking for is a decent winter jumper for work, shopping pottering, nothing for best…. but I still expect one that doesn’t look like a piece of rag the week after I ve bought it
The one I bought at M and S which went back was £27.99 now some of you might call this cheap but to me it’s not cheap at all and should last me the season I can’t possibly afford to buy a named label just for everyday wear and I shouldn’t have to
M&S must have SO many returns and complaints the assistant didn’t even ask any questions just took the jumper and gave me my money

Pixieboots Wed 08-Mar-23 05:47:07

Karmalady - I love handknitting and struggle to get good quality locally produced yarns. Are you able to divulge your source? TIA

karmalady Wed 08-Mar-23 06:22:17

Pixie I will post a link. They also have several youtube videos about the sheep, how the wool is produced etc. It is a small enterprise, started off with second hand equipment. John and his yarn are well loved by the people in the local spinning guilds.

www.jarbon.com/

My most recent knit with their yarn was a jumper called breslin by julie hoover, from ravelry

nanna8 Thu 09-Mar-23 11:14:56

I agree with you about M and S cardigans. I sent for one, paid a fortune and it went bobbly almost immediately. I’ll never bother getting them from there again. Even K mart is better ( and cheap as chips )

Granny23 Thu 09-Mar-23 12:43:31

I had never given thought to this 'problem' before this thread. Intrigued, off I went to inspect the jumpers and cardigans in my wardrobe. I found 7 pill free cotton ones, mainly from Cotton Traders - all at least 10 or more years old. Just a couple of warm, bobbled, wool ones, only worn for gardening or painting as any bobbled garments are regularly culled.
The big surprise though was two old, very warm, polo necked, tunic length, woollen jumpers, seasonally washed weekly as staples of my everyday winter wear. On close inspection, I saw that both were covered in pills, which I had never noticed because both are mottled - one navy and white, one grey, pink and cream. I had another look at a dressy, black, lightweight, fine woollen long cardigan which has silver flecks throughout. Again, I had to look very closely to see that there was some pilling, again masked by the flecks.

Musky17 Fri 10-Mar-23 11:52:25

Interesting responses, thanks everyone. I think the only solution as suggested is to search for oldies but goodies on EBay & in charity shops, where donators & sellers have become bored with their great quality, aged & worn to death knitwear, no pilling, stretching or shrinking (just as it used to be). Don’t get me started on M & S trousers, same style, same size but varying leg lengths. I had some with one leg an inch shorter than the other. No quality control anymore.

Supergranuation Tue 14-Mar-23 14:40:18

I purchased a lovely cardigan from M&S. It was just what I wanted, it was a maroon colour which went perfectly with my black leggings and maroon boots. It was thigh length and very soft. It cost £29.99. The first (and only time) I wore it developed great rolls of fluff over it. I was so disappointed. I took it back to M&S but was only offered a refund of £4.99 because I purchased it with £25 M&S Premium club voucher and the rest with cash!