Gransnet forums

Chat

White, Light and Dark

(147 Posts)
Mazgg Wed 08-Mar-23 09:48:07

During a light hearted discussion about the old days I was surprised to find that I am in the minority who still sort their washing into these categories. I don't find it difficult - especially now that I have a washing machine with the option of doing a smaller load. I had my babies in the days of terry nappies and got great satisfaction watching a load of brilliant white nappies blowing in the breeze. I was easily pleased!

Blondiescot Sun 12-Mar-23 13:14:32

Jaxjacky

I’m amazed at the multiple washes some are doing with energy price hikes, cutting back here.

That's exactly what I said earlier in this thread too! With two of us in the house, I try to do as few washes as possible. I certainly couldn't justify putting on different loads for different colours.

JackyB Sun 12-Mar-23 15:11:50

We have PV panels on the roof and make our own electricity. Provided I wash in daylight hours it's practically free.

Water is another issue, of course. Our machine is new(ish) and therefore as economical with water as possible. However, I refuse to use the "eco" setting as I read that, even though you have set it to wash at 60°, the water is only heated to 27°. May as well not bother!

NotAGran55 Sun 12-Mar-23 15:53:35

Blondiescot

Jaxjacky

I’m amazed at the multiple washes some are doing with energy price hikes, cutting back here.

That's exactly what I said earlier in this thread too! With two of us in the house, I try to do as few washes as possible. I certainly couldn't justify putting on different loads for different colours.

It makes no difference to the number of washes provided they are full loads.

Blondiescot Sun 12-Mar-23 16:09:11

How does it not make any difference to the number of washes? If I put everything in one wash, that's one load. If I sort that same load out into lights, darks and whites, for instance - then that would be three washes.

Riggie Sun 12-Mar-23 16:23:05

I do darks and then white/lights. I do like my white undies to stay white!! It does take a while to get enough whites for a load now Mr Riggie doesn't need business shirts.

grannyactivist Sun 12-Mar-23 16:44:54

I do a very hot wash for my (white) bedding and towels, then sort the rest into light and dark for a 30 degree wash. I’ve never used a colour catcher and I don’t use conditioner. (I like crispy towels. 😁)

What has been an eye opener for me has been the discovery of laundry sanitiser. Over the years I have occasionally done wash loads for other people whose hygiene is less than optimum, with the result that I couldn’t get rid of ingrained bad smells on their clothing etc. I’d sometimes put things through the machine 2 or 3 times to try to get them to smell clean. Laundry sanitiser is brilliant at reducing or even eliminating bad odours from fabrics.

MrsKen33 Sun 12-Mar-23 17:40:11

I wait until I have 3 large washes. Light, medium and dark. Same amount of clothes etc as if I washed all in 3 mixed colour washes. And much nicer cleaner looking laundry.

Magrithea Sun 12-Mar-23 19:38:09

I used to but now there's just the two of us at home I use the 'mixed load' programme and chuck a Colourcatcher in

NotAGran55 Sun 12-Mar-23 21:18:14

Blondiescot

How does it not make any difference to the number of washes? If I put everything in one wash, that's one load. If I sort that same load out into lights, darks and whites, for instance - then that would be three washes.

You wait until you have a full load of each category before washing, that’s what I do.

MrsKen33 Mon 13-Mar-23 01:56:26

Exactly NotAGran. One weeks towels, plus bedding, knickers and pants is one big load

Shinamae Mon 13-Mar-23 09:06:11

I may be a bit thick but how can it be an eco wash if it takes three hours five minutes? 😬

Dizzyribs Mon 13-Mar-23 09:21:10

I do sort the washing even though there’s only two of us now. When it’s a good drying day I will mix loads and use this reusable colour catcher -

www.lakeland.co.uk/20647/30-wash-color-grabber-cloth-prevents-colour-runs

I love it- like a longish flannel facecloth, so it doesn’t slip and block the machine, and it turns from snowy white to yeuky grey quickly, so I know it’s working!

Blondiescot Mon 13-Mar-23 09:23:16

NotAGran55

Blondiescot

You wait until you have a full load of each category before washing, that’s what I do.

Lol, I don't own enough clothes for that to work in our house! I'd run out of things to wear.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 13-Mar-23 09:48:44

Floradora9

womblekelly

Dont bother with colour sorting but do wash sheets and duvet in a separate wash otherwise rverything gets stuck in the duvet cover.

If you close all the fastenings in the duvet cover it is fine .

Also, I always was my duvet covers inside out, so eventually anything that has been stuck inside will appear the next time you put that cover on. Ah, so that's where the missing sock went...

cc Thu 16-Mar-23 10:00:36

Jaxjacky

I just save up the individual colours until I have a full load, so still the same number of washes. It doesn't happen often, but if I run out of anything I use a short economy wash for a half load. That would probably be for thin clothes in very hot weather and often a quick hand wash is all they need.

cc Thu 16-Mar-23 10:03:26

Blondiescot

You save up the washes until you have a full load of one type. So still the same number of washes.

cc Thu 16-Mar-23 10:08:58

I love this thread, I hope that people keep posting.
Apart from sorting washing, the thing that annoys me is when my daughter and DiL stuff the washer absolutely full so that everything comes out tangled together. I can't see how it can be clean. Then they bung the tangled heap in the dryer so it dries all tangled and crumpled.
I rarely use my dryer but one of the major bonuses is that everything comes out relatively crease-free.

annodomini Thu 16-Mar-23 10:28:46

Living alone, and not having an extensive wardrobe, it would be difficult - maybe impossible - to separate dark and light garments, so I don't. They share a 30 degree wash and over the years I've had no disasters. Bedding and towels go in at 40 and, again, I have had no problems.

Blondiescot Thu 16-Mar-23 12:52:32

cc

Blondiescot

You save up the washes until you have a full load of one type. So still the same number of washes.

Already pointed out that I don't actually own that many clothes to make that a practical option. I'd run out of things to wear before I had a full load of each.

M0nica Thu 16-Mar-23 15:34:24

I am with you Blondiescot. I would be in the same situation.

Norah Thu 16-Mar-23 16:09:05

We do jeans, dark colours Monday. Towels, flannels, sheets next day. Lights next day. Medium coloured last. Maybe jeans again on Friday, depends on the week.