Gransnet forums

Chat

I know that prices are rising at an astonishing rate but THIS took my breath away

(119 Posts)
Shinamae Fri 10-Mar-23 17:15:51

I use this quite a lot around the house, up to a few months ago. It was a pound, then it went off the shelves for weeks and came back at £1.25, then disappeared again for weeks and has come back today at £2….🤷‍♀️
Food prices,council tax hikes,rents going up.how on earth are people going to manage?
Just as well, I enjoy my part-time job in a care home even at 70, because I could not afford to give it up now..

Shinamae Fri 10-Mar-23 17:16:30

Shinamae

I use this quite a lot around the house, up to a few months ago. It was a pound, then it went off the shelves for weeks and came back at £1.25, then disappeared again for weeks and has come back today at £2….🤷‍♀️
Food prices,council tax hikes,rents going up.how on earth are people going to manage?
Just as well, I enjoy my part-time job in a care home even at 70, because I could not afford to give it up now..

This..

Greenfinch Fri 10-Mar-23 17:20:19

I found exactly the same at Tesco last Saturday. I could not believe my eyes. I use it a lot and am wondering whether to get it from the internet.

annsixty Fri 10-Mar-23 17:24:10

My cat’s food has gone up to £5 for a box of 12 this is from about £3:40 not long ago.
With treats it now costs me £12 a week to feed her.
I can afford it but it is the reason that so many pets are being abandoned and handed in to shelters.
It is heartbreaking as many are owned by old people who cherish their pets as companions.
I also use soda crystals Shinamae it it invaluable for laundry and cleaning, we may have to stay grubby 😉😇

MrsKen33 Fri 10-Mar-23 17:25:10

How about a car service £850.00.?

Bridie22 Fri 10-Mar-23 17:27:39

Soda crystals still £1 at our poundland.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Mar-23 17:32:01

It was a blizzard today and I had a dentist appointment my buses to get to town have been changed to another road because of road works
It’s literally about 1 .5 miles ( 7 minutes by car ) to my town (normally I would walk or get the bus) but because of the weather I rang for a taxi it cost a staggering £8 !!!

Patsy70 Fri 10-Mar-23 17:46:56

I posted on the gardening thread recently that our lawn treatment service has increased by almost 15%, so I have cancelled it.

Yammy Fri 10-Mar-23 17:48:00

We drink decaf coffee most of the time Nescafe Americano and I usually buy it at half-price offers. There haven't been any lately and I was staggered at the price of a jar of ordinary decaf.
When doing special cooking I like Mutti tomatoes they have gone up to£1.40 a tin. It will be Sainsbury's own with some sugar from now on.
I buy in bulk when possible but feel for the people who can't afford to they are the ones who are suffering. I don't see how they budget. Sainsbury's do show unusual makes that have comparable prices to Aldi which we have in the town.
A taxi from our village to town 6 miles cost DH £15 the other day when the car had to be serviced.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 10-Mar-23 17:49:20

There’s probably a minimum charge BlueBelle, and remember the taxi had to collect as well as take you to your destination. The taxi driver has to earn his living, so does the owner of the taxi firm (who will have all the usual overheads) and fuel is still expensive.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Mar-23 18:13:37

I am just comparing what it would have been a year or so ago GSM probably doubled well of course he had to collect me not much point if he left me at home 😂😂
It’s a lot for me add that to the ‘two minutes’ I had in the dental chair Prod prod ding with hammer all fine see you in 6 months £23 please ….
It may be nothing to you but it’s a lot to me

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 10-Mar-23 18:27:29

The guy has to earn a living and so does his boss, in addition to paying overheads. And have you considered how much fuel prices have increased in the last year? You escaped pretty lightly paying the dentist £23; obviously NHS, heavily subsidised by the taxpayer. We have had government help with the cost of living and are about to receive a 10% increase in the state pension (and that’s ignoring any increases in private pensions). We can’t expect prices to stand still or increase by only a tiny amount when suppliers’ overheads are increasing quite dramatically and our own incomes are increasing by 10%.

Shinamae Fri 10-Mar-23 18:54:46

Germanshepherdsmum

The guy has to earn a living and so does his boss, in addition to paying overheads. And have you considered how much fuel prices have increased in the last year? You escaped pretty lightly paying the dentist £23; obviously NHS, heavily subsidised by the taxpayer. We have had government help with the cost of living and are about to receive a 10% increase in the state pension (and that’s ignoring any increases in private pensions). We can’t expect prices to stand still or increase by only a tiny amount when suppliers’ overheads are increasing quite dramatically and our own incomes are increasing by 10%.

MOST supermarket prices have increased way over 10% GSM… prices don’t go up 10 or 20p it’s 40 or 50p at a time and that every couple of weeks it’s getting beyond ridiculous. Like I said it’s a good thing I still work.
They give it with one hand and take it back with the other…
By the way, I have no private pension, just a basic state pension, hence my need to work at 70 years old

BlueBelle Fri 10-Mar-23 18:55:58

I really don’t need a lecture I just commented like everyone else has GSM I m so sorry I m not paying private prices for my dentistry and causing the taxpayer to cough up for me, I have paid my taxes and my NHS contribution all my working life thanks
Good grief

Shinamae Fri 10-Mar-23 18:59:27

BlueBelle

I really don’t need a lecture I just commented like everyone else has GSM I m so sorry I m not paying private prices for my dentistry and causing the taxpayer to cough up for me, I have paid my taxes and my NHS contribution all my working life thanks
Good grief

Yes, Bluebell, you with your prod,prod ding 😂😂😂😂😂

Caramme Fri 10-Mar-23 19:05:18

Not only has cat food gone up as you say but the Whiskas wet food sachets have gone from 100gms down to 85gms, which makes the increase even greater.
I do wonder how many of these price increases are genuinely proportional to the increased costs and how many manufacturers, suppliers, etc are simply taking the opportunity to boost their profits.

Calendargirl Fri 10-Mar-23 19:05:27

Soda still £1.20 at our local discount shop, well it was last time I bought some a couple of weeks ago. Often they have run out though. Was £1 for ages until quite recently.

Soda has become another trendy cleaning item to buy, hence one reason for the price hike.

I preferred it when no one else much knew how good it was .

Grannyben Fri 10-Mar-23 19:09:48

I was astounded when I saw tins of Heinz soup in Tesco for £1.70. Good job I prefer M&S, I think its only about 55p

watermeadow Fri 10-Mar-23 19:10:35

If you have only the basic state pension you are eligible for further help, like Credit Support, which also brings other benefits.
Our benefits system is very mean compared to most other countries but nobody is expected to live off £600 per month.

Shinamae Fri 10-Mar-23 19:15:21

Caramme

Not only has cat food gone up as you say but the Whiskas wet food sachets have gone from 100gms down to 85gms, which makes the increase even greater.
I do wonder how many of these price increases are genuinely proportional to the increased costs and how many manufacturers, suppliers, etc are simply taking the opportunity to boost their profits.

I think it’s called profiteering, and I totally agree with you, you..🤓

Jaxjacky Fri 10-Mar-23 19:32:36

Cat food has cereal in it, with cereal prices rising, partly due to the Ukrainian war and partly heatwaves in producing countries. Plus labour cost and fuel rises in factories most foods with a cereal content have risen.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Mar-23 19:43:37

Can you say that a bit clearer shinamae not sure what you mean

Shinamae Fri 10-Mar-23 19:46:18

BlueBelle

Can you say that a bit clearer shinamae not sure what you mean

Just sticking up for you bluebell and making a joke of what GSM said,I hoped the laughing faces would of made that clear..🤓

fancythat Fri 10-Mar-23 19:50:10

I have been wondering why my food cupboard is looking emptier than usual.
I now realise it is because I keep baulking at the prices. We can afford to pay the extra prices for the time being. But who can still afford them if they keep up going up at the rate they have been going?

So I keep coming back from a store with only half the things on my list, if I am not in a place that has the cheaper stuff.

For the time being I am going through my freezer. And looking at things at the back of the cupboard.

Hetty58 Fri 10-Mar-23 21:19:28

They are among the things I'd buy online - along with cat food, bicarbonate of soda, diatomaceous earth, loo roll etc. - about once a year. I have a really good search around for the best quality and cheapest prices. OK - I'm a fanatical bargain hunter.

For instance, the best value sunflower hearts for the birdssadhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PWHSQM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) is a baker's sack full. I'd never pay £2 for a tiny bag at the pet shop - just can't do it.

Still, the Tesco soda is expensive at £2, they're £1.70 from Sainsburys, Ocado, and Amazon, £1.45 from the Co-op - and still £1.50 in the local corner shop. Somebody is enjoying a big fat, profit!