Gransnet forums

Chat

I know that prices are rising at an astonishing rate but THIS took my breath away

(120 Posts)
Shinamae Fri 10-Mar-23 17:15:51

I use this quite a lot around the house, up to a few months ago. It was a pound, then it went off the shelves for weeks and came back at £1.25, then disappeared again for weeks and has come back today at £2….🤷‍♀️
Food prices,council tax hikes,rents going up.how on earth are people going to manage?
Just as well, I enjoy my part-time job in a care home even at 70, because I could not afford to give it up now..

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 12-Mar-23 13:15:05

I can understand that Bluebelle (sorry fingers not in ears!😁) because it’s a service that is subsidised by someone (the council?) and that’s probably a rule the driver has to abide by.

nadateturbe Sun 12-Mar-23 13:38:35

Shoppers may change supermarkets but many workers don't have time to shop around and pick the best prices in each. Most have to do a weekly order fromone store.
I don't believe the price rises are all justifiable.
And even if they are it's still a huge problem, which is the point of the thread.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 12-Mar-23 14:17:02

I have lived 72 years without needing to use soda crystals. There are things we can do without and changes we can make to our usual shopping according to budget. Even though retired I still have a weekly delivery from the same supermarket I have used for years.

SueDonim Sun 12-Mar-23 15:52:10

I’m currently in the US, visiting my son. I’ve been shocked at the price rises here, too, even though people in US have been shielded from the energy rises that we in Europe have experienced. sad

loopyloo Sun 12-Mar-23 16:10:11

Just thought I should point out that there are cost free options Dickens.
And £52 is a weekly food shop for a lot of people.

Casdon Sun 12-Mar-23 16:31:51

Whitewavemark2

ronib

Does anyone remember the obesity crisis that hit the headlines awhile ago? I wonder what effect, if any, rising prices has had on this?

Probably make it worse

It has, the government delayed scrapping the BOGOF deals, which are always unhealthy branded foods so the poor could fill up on cheap unhealthy food.
news.sky.com/story/ban-on-buy-one-get-one-free-deals-on-unhealthy-foods-delayed-for-a-year-12612384

loopyloo Sun 12-Mar-23 16:38:26

Apologies, Dickens, that was a bit sharp. Of course, the convenience was value for money.

nadateturbe Sun 12-Mar-23 19:53:13

Whitewavemark2

ronib

Does anyone remember the obesity crisis that hit the headlines awhile ago? I wonder what effect, if any, rising prices has had on this?

Probably make it worse

What I was going to say.

Dickens Mon 13-Mar-23 08:45:35

loopyloo

Apologies, Dickens, that was a bit sharp. Of course, the convenience was value for money.

No need to apologise - I get your point. I should have acknowledged the fact that you were intending to be helpful with your original post. smile

FishandChips15 Mon 13-Mar-23 09:03:01

Every Friday on LBC the presenter does a food comparison. A year ago for the same items from the same store they cost £12 (+ some pence) and now they cost £16 (+ some pence). He says this is an increase of 26%.

Calendargirl Wed 15-Mar-23 10:43:38

Soda crystals still £1.19 at my local discount store this morning.

Must confess I bought extra, but still some left for others.

Shinamae Wed 15-Mar-23 10:45:44

I am going to go to savers tomorrow and hopefully they still have them at £1.25…🤓

Greenfinch Wed 15-Mar-23 11:16:15

Mine still £2 in Tesco!

Shinamae Wed 15-Mar-23 11:52:07

Greenfinch

Mine still £2 in Tesco!

Yes I’ve been to Tesco’s this morning and it still £2,disgusting and don’t tell me they’re not profiteering…
And I don’t want anybody jumping on me and saying about reasons for prices rising because I KNOW that but still they are profiteering and I will not change my mind about that whatever anybody says…

Greenfinch Wed 15-Mar-23 12:17:11

It certainly makes you wonder how the discount stores can sell it so much more cheaply.

Calendargirl Wed 15-Mar-23 13:05:06

Greenfinch

It certainly makes you wonder how the discount stores can sell it so much more cheaply.

And my discount store has often sold out, so it’s not as if they are ‘old’ stock at £1.19.

singingnutty Fri 17-Mar-23 10:23:00

At King’s Cross Station recently a bar of Cadburys Mini Egg chocolate was priced at £2.49 when in our local Morrisons garage it is £1.25. On reflection I suppose they have to pay high rents in their location, but still….. We were wanting chocolate because we had missed a train and had 90 minutes to wait for the next one. Didn’t buy the choc!

Shinamae Fri 17-Mar-23 10:37:39

singingnutty

At King’s Cross Station recently a bar of Cadburys Mini Egg chocolate was priced at £2.49 when in our local Morrisons garage it is £1.25. On reflection I suppose they have to pay high rents in their location, but still….. We were wanting chocolate because we had missed a train and had 90 minutes to wait for the next one. Didn’t buy the choc!

I think a lot of people are doing this, I am certainly avoiding Heinz products and many others, because of the astronomical price rises.. actually, I personally cannot tell the difference between Tesco own brand beans and Heinz..🤓

Happysexagenarian Fri 17-Mar-23 10:54:14

We recently had to get a cab home from our local town 8 miles away, it cost us £40!

My 6 month check-up at the dentist this week was £50, no work needed. But I'm happy to pay it he's the best dentist I've ever had.

While in Tesco's cafeteria this week we ordered two medium cappuccinos and two blueberry muffins. £11.10p !! A ridiculous price.