Gransnet forums

Chat

Petition re. plastic packaging on supermarket fruit and veg.

(33 Posts)
grannydarkhair Tue 14-Mar-23 23:18:40

This is a petition calling for the removal of plastic packaging from the top five most wasted fruit and veg sold in supermarkets - apples, bananas, carrots, onions and potatoes.

you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/remove-plastic-packaging-from-fruit-veg-to-stop-waste?source=rawlink&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_source=rawlink&share=ffc9df2c-c51d-4b1a-beae-828e65b23fa9

Katie59 Wed 15-Mar-23 07:01:00

Either is wrapped or in most cases you have to put loose veg in a plastic bag, you can’t just have 10 potatoes and 20 carrots with mushrooms and lettuce all loose in a shopping trolley

ParlorGames Wed 15-Mar-23 07:17:47

Only yesterday, we were in our local big supermarket. Veg and fruit is in pre-packed bags or loose so the customer can choose either. They used to supply plastic bags for loose items and brown paper bags for loose mushrooms. This same supermarket has removed all the plastic bags made available for loose items and now promotes the sale of mesh bags at 30p each instead BUT it has also removed the brown paper bags for the loose mushrooms. Customers are expected to purchase a 30p bag for the mushrooms too.
I am not a huge fan of mushrooms so we don't buy many - just a few for MrP so having to buy a 30p bag for around 80p worth of mushrooms did alarm us.
I realise these 30p bags are reusable but honestly, who remembers to take them shopping?

Poppyred Wed 15-Mar-23 07:41:42

Signed.

BlueBelle Wed 15-Mar-23 07:49:32

Katie
Why can’t you have loose veg in your basket ? I put two or three bananas or a few oranges or apples in my basket of course you can put 6 potatoes or 4 carrots as long as you put them on the scales together at pay out time

Another thing why does a cucumber have to be in tight plastic covering then in a plastic bag ?? I bought one last weekend and couldn’t understand the double bagging

Shinamae Wed 15-Mar-23 07:50:41

Signed. I agree with a previous poster.My Tesco have done away with bags and you have to pay 30p which I will not pay,why they cannot provide brown paper bags I don’t know..😡

BlueBelle Wed 15-Mar-23 07:51:25

Signed

Chris3 Wed 15-Mar-23 07:54:57

Thank you for that... Signed

Kim19 Wed 15-Mar-23 08:21:15

I avail myself of the paper bags at the bakery counter.

Grammaretto Wed 15-Mar-23 08:34:52

It can be done without plastic. Takes a little ingenuity but definitely can be done.
Years ago I was bag packing for a charity at the checkout in Sainsbury's.
On average 10 plastic carrier bags - free back then-- per customer!!

We have come a long way since those bad old days .

Now I volunteer in a community shop which offers paper bags for bread and veg but many don't take them, wet and dry refilleries, returnable glass bottles etc.
Things still using plastic are greetings cards Not all but most.
Meat and meat products and cheeses.

I'll sign the petition.

Ali23 Wed 15-Mar-23 08:47:44

Katie59

Either is wrapped or in most cases you have to put loose veg in a plastic bag, you can’t just have 10 potatoes and 20 carrots with mushrooms and lettuce all loose in a shopping trolley

I do! Mostly I use a local greengrocer and this is exactly why. She’s very wise about packaging and has brown paper bags for anything i want to bag up eg mushrooms.
If i nip to Aldi or Tesco I only buy their loose items eg bananas , baking potatoes.
I’ve signed.
Despite making loads of effort to reduce it, I’m still using loads of plastic. I need the support of the supermarket to make much more progress.

Charleygirl5 Wed 15-Mar-23 09:12:19

With so many packaged items, I do not like being told that is what I need to buy eg 6 packaged tomatoes when I only want 3.

Granmarderby10 Wed 15-Mar-23 09:20:31

I assume that brown bags for loose veg comes with a cost to the retailer?
I often get asked if paper carriers are available instead of plastic where I work (not a supermarket) but a big name.
Primark do paper carrier bags, which are all well and good as long as you don’t get caught in the rain.
I know there are huge bins in Sainsburys’ to recycle carriers and wrappings bags but I am never sure whether it is acceptable to help myself to any instead of buying yet another to add to the massive collection I have at home already.

I have many many of the strong ones and this is because I don’t drive and shop for items in a variety of shops away from home, and take the opportunity to buy bargains from a wider choice such as Wilkos, Home Bargains, Savers, since if I’ve paid the bus fare to get there already, I make the most of it but can’t risk flimsy carriers that snap.
Cucumber enrobed in a sheath of polythene? I think this is for the journey the food has to make.

Redhead56 Wed 15-Mar-23 09:20:41

Signed the petition

shysal Wed 15-Mar-23 11:18:37

Many years ago I made some drawstring bags from charity shop voile curtains. I am still using them for all loose produce. I had some funny looks from people at the time, but not now.

I have noticed that a lot of the packaged fruit and veg in Asda is now in the type of bags that can be recycled in large supermarkets. I take these, along with my cat food pouches, to my local Co-op where the bin is well used.

Kalu Wed 15-Mar-23 11:35:10

Signed

Beechnut Wed 15-Mar-23 12:40:34

shysal

Many years ago I made some drawstring bags from charity shop voile curtains. I am still using them for all loose produce. I had some funny looks from people at the time, but not now.

I have noticed that a lot of the packaged fruit and veg in Asda is now in the type of bags that can be recycled in large supermarkets. I take these, along with my cat food pouches, to my local Co-op where the bin is well used.

I did something similar although I do have bought bags as well as I kept forget to take my own.
Perhaps someone picked up on your idea shysal and is making a fortune. It wasn’t me by the way🤣

mumski Wed 15-Mar-23 14:15:26

Signed.
Also, why do supermarkets think we need 6 lemons in a plastic mesh when we only need one! What a huge waste of food .

Patsy70 Wed 15-Mar-23 14:27:36

I buy fruit & veg from our local farm shop using the brown paper bags provided, or just popping them loose into my shopping bag. Signed.

Fleurpepper Wed 15-Mar-23 15:55:20

Signed and shared. In many other European countries, fruit and veg are sold in cardboard containers, with just cling-film over the top, if not sold loose. Yes, brown paper bags are best- and people can also choose to buy muslin bags to re-use again and again, with a tiny amount of weight added to the weight.

Was looking at my ear-buds this morning, thin cardboard box and sticks made of recycled cardboard, with a thin plastic lid. Bottles of washing liquid are a disaster and I have gone back to powder or washing 'sheets' that totally disolve without leaving pollutants. All washing soaps, bleach, conditioner, etc, etc, bought in refill pouches. Yes, plastic, but much smaller than new bottle with new top, etc. And nothing goes to landfill either.

grannydarkhair Wed 15-Mar-23 16:45:16

Thank you to those who have signed.
I actually get most of my shopping delivered fortnightly nowadays, but obviously have to buy fresh produce in between deliveries. I’ve got a few of the mesh bags, and once I’ve unpacked I always put them back in the bag I go shopping with straight away.

Mollygo Wed 15-Mar-23 17:04:51

Our local supermarket offers one size (big) brown paper bags for all loose fruit or veg. I always put the items loose on the conveyor belt.
Paper bags aren’t free. Their bags weigh and cost. Not much when you’re buying carrots or bananas, but if you’ve had to put 7-8 mushrooms in a big bag, and the bag is weighed at the price of the mushrooms, it all adds up.

Fleurpepper Wed 15-Mar-23 17:59:49

do weigh the bag next time and report back, please.

Fleurpepper Wed 15-Mar-23 18:00:48

grannydarkhair

Thank you to those who have signed.
I actually get most of my shopping delivered fortnightly nowadays, but obviously have to buy fresh produce in between deliveries. I’ve got a few of the mesh bags, and once I’ve unpacked I always put them back in the bag I go shopping with straight away.

When your food is delivered, isn't there lots of packaging and bags???

Washerwoman Wed 15-Mar-23 18:36:06

Signed. I asked to speak to the fresh produce manager at Sainsburys a while ago when I wanted to buy a celeriac and they were all shrink wrapped in thick plastic. I said you could play football with a celriac.He said some customers don't like to touch produce others may have handled.So I said I would buy my veg at the local farm shop from then on.And as much as possible I do.