Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you remember Hinge and Bracket?

(50 Posts)
millymouge Wed 15-Mar-23 18:35:18

I was just cleaning DH s glasses for him and he suddenly asked if I remembered how Hilda Bracket would clean hers (his). We used to enjoy their quiet humour. I seem to remember that Dame Evadne Hinge died some while ago but I heard that Bracket was living in France managing a high class bistro. Theirs was a sort of humour that is probably not in keeping with today but we enjoyed it.

annsixty Wed 15-Mar-23 18:40:55

I loved listening to it on the radio, they had a weekly series.
Not so much the television programme but I still watched it.
The radio programme which was on at lunchtime, maybe a repeat, got me though a particular rough patch by giving me half an hour of respite from a very difficult situation.

Charleygirl5 Wed 15-Mar-23 18:45:03

I did enjoy their sense of humour.

notgran Wed 15-Mar-23 18:50:34

I loved them. Very talented musicians. Plus great comedic turns.

Lellie Wed 15-Mar-23 19:07:31

I remember seeing them at St George's Hall in Bradford when I was much much younger. I thought they were brilliant and loved the nostalgia they brought back to life.

ixion Wed 15-Mar-23 19:11:25

We had to enlighten late father-in-law who thought they were real ladies

AskAlice Wed 15-Mar-23 19:12:10

I loved them! So much so that I named two of my first batch of 6 chickens after them!

Although it was of its time and probably wouldn't be viewed in the same way today, their humour seemed to me to be very clever and subtle and the characters were sharp and witty rather than scathing.

Maybe I'm seeing it through rose-tinted spectacles. No doubt someone will totally disagree with me!

Gin Wed 15-Mar-23 19:16:23

They replayed the radio show not long ago on BBC4 extra. They are probably to be found on Sounds. A nice quiet humour.

bonji Wed 15-Mar-23 19:20:54

I very rarely post on these forums but enjoy reading all your comments so much. Just loved Hinge and Bracket although of course they wouldn’t be allowed today. Who also remembers the monologues of Joyce Grenville - she always manages to make me laugh. Maureen Lipman represented her brilliantly but not quite as good as Joyce herself. Many of them available on Utube.

AskAlice Wed 15-Mar-23 19:27:42

Oh, Joyce Grenville - what a joy she was to listen to. My favourite was the dance lesson with children when she was portraying the teacher. Something about the children being flowers, and "George, what flower is that? Oh, a cauliflower!". When I was doing my teacher-training, I had a "George" in my class and I was reminded of Joyce Grenville every time I had to take charge of a PE or dance lesson!

MiniMoon Wed 15-Mar-23 19:44:17

I loved Hinge and Bracket, "the aga can."
I loved Joyce Grenfell too. Here's a favourite of mine.

youtu.be/clOdyzP9fcw

Grandma70s Wed 15-Mar-23 19:58:42

Her name was actually Joyce Grenfell, not Grenville. When I was eleven my mother, who was a fan, took me to see her live. I remember some of it quite clearly, particularly her parody of amateur choral singers. Although I was so young I really enjoyed her sketches.

I have a DVD of Hinge and Bracket. I must get it out watch it again.

crazyH Wed 15-Mar-23 20:00:29

I loved Hinge and Brackett

Deedaa Wed 15-Mar-23 20:04:15

Dame Hilda did a couple of shows in Cornwall and we provided a meal for him after each show. He was great (and liked my food) He was very keen on getting all the goss so he could put topical stuff in his act. Definitely one of the nicer celebrities we dealt with.

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Mar-23 20:08:33

I remember them and in fact Hilda Brackett was at
school with my brother 🙂
I remember he had a hairdressing salon.

Patrick (Hilda) died about 20 years ago so perhaps it is Evadne Hinge who runs a bistro?

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Mar-23 20:10:24

Patrick Fyffe's sister Jane was an opera singer with the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company.

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Mar-23 20:12:52

AskAlice

Oh, Joyce Grenville - what a joy she was to listen to. My favourite was the dance lesson with children when she was portraying the teacher. Something about the children being flowers, and "George, what flower is that? Oh, a cauliflower!". When I was doing my teacher-training, I had a "George" in my class and I was reminded of Joyce Grenville every time I had to take charge of a PE or dance lesson!

My friend was a nursery teacher and she loved Joyce Grenfell's Nursery School, available still on YouTube.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 15-Mar-23 20:42:33

Oh I loved Hinge and Bracket - and Joyce Grenfell. Many times in my early -years teaching career I could hear echoes of her in my voice!

Grannybags Wed 15-Mar-23 21:10:06

ixion

We had to enlighten late father-in-law who thought they were ^real ladies^

🤣🤣

annsixty Wed 15-Mar-23 21:15:11

“Don’t do that George”

M0nica Wed 15-Mar-23 22:17:39

I think I read of George Logan's death, quite recently, in the last few months, but can find nothing online.

Callistemon21 Wed 15-Mar-23 23:19:00

M0nica

I think I read of George Logan's death, quite recently, in the last few months, but can find nothing online.

I think George is still alive and running a guest house

henetha Wed 15-Mar-23 23:22:32

I remember them well and thought they were wonderful.

Blossoming Wed 15-Mar-23 23:38:11

We went to see them live, they were hilarious and the humour was so gentle. I loved their ‘Dear Ladies’ TV Show.

FannyCornforth Thu 16-Mar-23 01:49:00

Callistemon21

I remember them and in fact Hilda Brackett was at
school with my brother 🙂
I remember he had a hairdressing salon.

Patrick (Hilda) died about 20 years ago so perhaps it is Evadne Hinge who runs a bistro?

That’s right Hinge was George Logan and Bracket was Patrick Fyffe. And Fyffe died in 2002.

I love that you have a link to them Callistemon!

Logan has a B&B with his partner in the Limousels (I know I’ve spelled that wrong!)