Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you remember Hinge and Bracket?

(51 Posts)
millymouge Wed 15-Mar-23 18:35:18

I was just cleaning DH s glasses for him and he suddenly asked if I remembered how Hilda Bracket would clean hers (his). We used to enjoy their quiet humour. I seem to remember that Dame Evadne Hinge died some while ago but I heard that Bracket was living in France managing a high class bistro. Theirs was a sort of humour that is probably not in keeping with today but we enjoyed it.

Esmay Thu 16-Mar-23 02:23:17

I remember Hinge and Bracket and Flanders and Swan .

I really loved Joyce Grenfell and I knew someone just like her .
She was unaware of the resemblance and must have thought that I was crazy when I'd laugh spontaneously when she spoke .

teabagwoman Thu 16-Mar-23 06:42:56

I loved listening to them. Thank you for a thread that has made me smile as I have my first cup of tea of the day.

shysal Thu 16-Mar-23 09:28:29

My late mother-in-law loved them, but would not believe that they were men when we told her!

vintage1950 Thu 16-Mar-23 09:36:03

Loved Hinge and Bracket. They reminded me of the academic ladies of 1930s vintage whom I used to meet at college reunions.

Lexisgranny Thu 16-Mar-23 09:40:37

Hinge and Bracket, Flanders’s and Swan and Joyce Grenfall - those were the days. I rarely enjoy modern comedians, the last one that I truly laughed with was Victoria Wood.

Shelflife Thu 16-Mar-23 09:55:36

Hinge and Bracket who could forget them , just brilliant! As for Joyce Grenfell - what a talent - wonderful 😊

NanaDana Thu 16-Mar-23 10:03:45

Thoroughly enjoyed Hinge and Bracket, who quite apart from their gentle humour, were also talented musicians. Most entertaining, both on radio (wireless!) and TV.

Froglady Fri 17-Mar-23 11:20:26

I went to see them on Norwich once and they were so good - ruder than when they were on TV but still so funny.

JRTW2 Fri 17-Mar-23 11:27:47

They were hilarious. I went to see their show twice and met them at stage door. The singer was hilarious but the pianist super shy

mimismo Fri 17-Mar-23 11:28:11

And don't forget Hoffnung, 'The Bricklayer's Story'.

Amalegra Fri 17-Mar-23 12:27:39

I used to love these ‘ladies’! My mother loved them too and did a great impersonation of them both. Their humour was witty and well observed, unlike some of today’s so called comics, who are brash, crude and state the obvious in a distinctly unfunny manner. Yet they of course are deemed ‘politically correct’ whereas Hinge and Bracket would be considered offensive and detrimental to the ‘mental health of many!

Ktsmum Fri 17-Mar-23 12:34:45

I loved Hinge and Bracket! 😀 cats chorus, oh the twiddly bits that he would play when we were all alone, and the one about mama then papa then the lights all going out 😅🤣😅 just love them, and of course Joyce Grenfell stately as a galleon sailing across the floor, just really good fun and nothing offensive

Audun Fri 17-Mar-23 13:14:14

Loved them too...the Cats' Chorus! oh yes, and they were so witty but never cruel. Loved Joyce Grenfell too.

Jazzhands Fri 17-Mar-23 14:42:25

Millymouge that was a lovely memory-jogger. I bought Mum and Dad tickets to see them live in Glasgow. I was a bit puzzled because Mum was in on the joke - when I told her they were males, she just replied: 'Don't be silly dear!'.

Jazzhands Fri 17-Mar-23 14:43:07

Jazzhands

Millymouge that was a lovely memory-jogger. I bought Mum and Dad tickets to see them live in Glasgow. I was a bit puzzled because Mum was in on the joke - when I told her they were males, she just replied: 'Don't be silly dear!'.

Should have read - wasn't in on the joke.

welshgirl2017 Fri 17-Mar-23 15:37:22

M0nica

I think I read of George Logan's death, quite recently, in the last few months, but can find nothing online.

Looks like he is still alive and well!

www.hingeandbracketofficial.co.uk/AboutGeorgeLogan.html

Bromley Fri 17-Mar-23 15:50:00

They ran the series on radio again a while back. They were still as lovely and funny.
As for Joyce…just wonderful. I hear her in myself sometimes when talking to my Grandchildren!

Jenn53 Fri 17-Mar-23 17:50:36

Yes, I loved them! They were so amusing. I wish the TV people would bring back these shows as repeats rather than the everlasting & boring repeats such as "Dad's Army"! Sorry, "Dad's Army" fans!

hollysteers Fri 17-Mar-23 18:31:01

Just loved Hinge and Bracket, such talent! During the war, Dame Hilda said they “Had to perform on some very shoddy erections”😁 etc….
My brother in law didn’t believe Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge was a spoof!

JaneJudge Fri 17-Mar-23 18:47:23

I've just watched some Joyce Grenfell, wonderful

Grandmama Fri 17-Mar-23 18:49:02

I saw them in person in the 1970s in London - it was an evening of D'Oyley Carte (was it a last night? I seem to remember a ballot for tickets). Great performance.

Musicgirl Fri 17-Mar-23 19:41:25

Dear Ladies. Yes, I very much enjoyed their gentle humour. My dad was a big fan.

Callistemon21 Fri 17-Mar-23 19:56:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Snorkel Sat 18-Mar-23 02:11:50

My friend and myself set up a small business called Hinge and Flange (selling music memorabilia). I was Mary Hinge grin

NemoNanna Sat 18-Mar-23 09:31:35

I have a little claim to fame regarding Hinge and Bracket. As an 18 year old, I worked at a hotel in Lincoln as a receptionist. Many stars who were performing at the local theatre stayed at the hotel including H & B. They were absolutely delightful and asked me where they could go for a nice afternoon tea, after telling them about local tea rooms, they invited me to go along with them. They dressed quite flamboyantly for 1978, including a string of pearls, so attracted a few strange looks. But they were true gentleman and I’ll never forget their kindness.