Gransnet forums

Chat

What goes around comes around

(80 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sat 18-Mar-23 14:45:21

I wonder how many teachers, doctors, nurses, paramedics, train drivers, postal workers etc won't be able to go on holiday this year as the passport office workers are going on strike for five weeks?

VioletSky Sat 18-Mar-23 22:04:48

You know

Of we paid these professions their value, there would be no strikes

Also, the whole lot of them could easily go off and get a different job. Or not bother taking on the student debt to train... then where would we be?

BlueBelle Sat 18-Mar-23 22:21:06

GSM you don’t understand because maybe you ve never worked a double shift for no money maybe you ve never been in the position to not be able to have a wee or a cup of coffee or a rest because there’s no one to cover you, maybe you ve never cut anyone down because you couldn’t get a mental health bed for them because the government have cut the mental health beds to a complete minimum Maybe you’ve never done a job with the person beside you being paid double because they are agency workers It’s not just money it’s the conditions This 13 year government has pared the NHS to the bone to privatise it
This is no laughing matter and your first post is dire
There’s some other nasty not understanding posts on here too

SunshineSally Sat 18-Mar-23 23:55:29

Well said BlueBelle 👍

lyleLyle Sun 19-Mar-23 00:25:19

Let’s use this same genius logic and take it a step further.

What goes around comes around. I’ll be smirking when the folks who consistently undervalue the professional services that save lives suddenly need those doctors and nurses and can’t get adequate & timely care because these professionals are taking their skills to countries who actually value them. If you’re ignorant enough to think striking is a result of greed, rather than underpaid wages and poor working conditions, you will reap what you sow. If you understand why strikes happen and still have this smug attitude, the next time you need medical care go figure it out yourself and keep your ungrateful attitude out of healthcare settings.

biglouis Sun 19-Mar-23 00:51:27

Ive been in a job where we were constantly told to "do more with less". Rather than rushing I told my staff to go more slowly and more carefully so as not to be pushed into mistakes. We stuck strictly to break, opening and closeing times. Parts of the job were gradually and quietly let go or piled up. The phone was taken off the hook at busy periods. People waited and queued for longer. If customers complained I advised them to write to the local authority.

Goodbyetoallthat Sun 19-Mar-23 01:14:39

What about university staff? You have missed us off the list (or do we fall in the “etc” category) are we still allowed to go on holiday?

Nanatoone Sun 19-Mar-23 02:13:26

My daughter is a secondary school teacher, she is a leader but teaches all day, any free periods to do planning and management work are spent covering lessons. Several days a week she has not a single break, including lunch as she goes from classroom to duties to detentions. She is always Ill and rarely takes a sick day as she knows the impact on the rest of the teachers. She didn’t strike but I looked after her children willingly whilst the teachers at their school did strike. No one listens until it’s too late!

JackyB Sun 19-Mar-23 08:52:04

Why is the assumption that people need to apply for a passport every time they go abroad?

I have always renewed mine as it expires and then it's valid for 10 years. (I would have done this even if I hadn't been legally bound to by dint of living abroad in a country where you have to carry ID at all times.)

Wyllow3 Sun 19-Mar-23 09:01:44

Goodbyetoallthat

What about university staff? You have missed us off the list (or do we fall in the “etc” category) are we still allowed to go on holiday?

You are, Goodbyetoallthat, except of course you are also expected to do enough research all summer placed in enough learned journals so your uni actually gets funding for carrying on....

pascal30 Sun 19-Mar-23 10:16:05

What a very weird mindset you have poster.. people strike as a last resort to improve conditions and pay...I watched in distress as provisions for clients in MH were pared to the absolute minimum. One client discharged before she was well, despite my complaints, as her CPN, to the hospital, killed herself by jumping off her 5 storey building. It's hard to live with that stress and it's happening all the time in many different ways to all the people striking.. Have some compassion..
IMO the only Karma involved is to do with the government and it's refusal to put money where it is needed

Marjgran Mon 20-Mar-23 11:13:52

Unpleasant post - well said some of you. Karma is a myth. Look around!

HousePlantQueen Mon 20-Mar-23 11:22:02

wow, what a nasty thread. The grin grin grin comments are disturbing.

Fleurpepper Mon 20-Mar-23 11:58:49

GN at its worst. Sad, very unpleasant.

nipsmum Mon 20-Mar-23 12:40:33

Maybe all these highly trained people are organised and have thought well ahead and kept their passports up to date.

sodapop Mon 20-Mar-23 12:41:11

My daughter who is a community mental health nurse would totally agree with your post of 22.21 BlueBelle

Wheniwasyourage Mon 20-Mar-23 12:46:40

Isn't it interesting how many of the people who have been on strike (and I support them) are those who kept working through the pandemic? Teachers, NHS staff, transport workers, postal workers, civil servants...

Amalegra Mon 20-Mar-23 12:51:24

GN is getting so politicised these days, isn’t it? What starts out as an observation becomes a diatribe! Perhaps we are all starting to notice the managed decline of this country which has been coming to a head now for many years-and not just the years of Tory government either. Even so I think I’ll stick to the more lighthearted topics here now! I don’t always feel like a political lecture or debate-there’s enough of those on TV and in the newspapers. And tbh, they don’t change things much!

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 20-Mar-23 12:59:55

Not quite sure Lizbethann of the relevance of your teacher friends travels to this thread.
Happy to join in however. My teacher son in law and my working daughter will be taking their children camping in the New Forest this summer. Relevant- you decide.

knspol Mon 20-Mar-23 13:00:07

I didn't even know the passport office was going on strike but I bet all the workers renew their own passports beforehand.

I do agree with all the comments about how the posts on here lately do seem to engender an awful lot of unpleasant responses.

Coco51 Mon 20-Mar-23 13:21:40

Our GP practice nurse didn’t go on strike. She left and went to work in Tesco where she earned more.
If our public services don’t get more support the delayed and cancelled treatments will be worse than temporary strikes
And it sticks in the craw when the government gives tax breaks for pension contributions to the richest in our country and then turn round and say they cannot afford to give the most important people in our society decent wages.

Coco51 Mon 20-Mar-23 13:24:16

nipsmum

Maybe all these highly trained people are organised and have thought well ahead and kept their passports up to date.

You mean when they crawl home exhausted after long shifts ?

Wyllow3 Mon 20-Mar-23 13:45:13

Amalegra yes, its heavy duty, but it's not only a heavily politicised topic, but intensely personal for many of those writing.

It should have been in "politics" really: the O/P is far more than an "observation."

Aldom Mon 20-Mar-23 13:51:27

I know of an experienced teacher, who because of the stress associated with the job, left, to work in one of the discount supermarkets.

katy1950 Mon 20-Mar-23 14:05:20

Well said that made laugh

Freya5 Mon 20-Mar-23 14:23:48

I had a vocation, since age of 7. I qualified as a Nurse, SEN, so definitely not well paid as Staff Nurse, yet through the turmoil of price rises, other peoples strike action, mortgages at 11%, if not more, a single mother, when strike action under Blair was tried, I voted no , and so did my colleagues. You go into the medical professions with your eyes open, you know what the pay and conditions are , 6 weeks plus 10 days holiday,paid, full pay sick leave. I wish as a new SEN my pay had been 35,000, plus enhanced hours for weekends and night duty.