Gransnet forums

Chat

What goes around comes around

(80 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sat 18-Mar-23 14:45:21

I wonder how many teachers, doctors, nurses, paramedics, train drivers, postal workers etc won't be able to go on holiday this year as the passport office workers are going on strike for five weeks?

Oreo Thu 23-Mar-23 08:56:43

Wyllow3

Gin

MaggsMcG you make a good point. I agree the majority if the strikers do deserve to be paid more but they nearly all are financed from the public purse. To award increases the money must come from cuts in other services or higher taxes. I would happily pay more tax as would most people I know (both Tory and Labour supporters) but our present Government would never sanction such a suggestion. Would all Gransneters be happy to pay more?

Yes I would be prepared to pay more on my taxes. Our country is notorious for demanding what we need but not being prepared to pay it.

I agree.

Shinamae Thu 23-Mar-23 09:01:47

Dickens

It's quite possible the doctors, nurses, ambulance crews, etc will sympathise with those working in the passport office.

I don't know the details but it wouldn't surprise me if the department is understaffed, the workers over-worked and under-paid.

Cuts to public services include government departments like the passport office.

Governments continually want to keep cutting, make 'efficiencies', departments are consistently being asked to do 'more with less'. I believe the strikes were inevitable sooner or later.

Second Paragraph you could be talking about workers in care homes… and even though those are our conditions we would not even consider striking and putting vulnerable elderly people at risk…

Doodledog Thu 23-Mar-23 09:23:12

Have those who criticise the strikers belonged to unions themselves, or are they the kind who have let others do the heavy lifting for them?

Lizbethann55 Thu 23-Mar-23 12:50:40

Doodlebug. Not everyone works for huge organisations with the backing of wealthy unions behind them. There are millions of workers out there who cannot possibly go on strike. Many of whom are paid considerably less than some of the workers who are on strike.